Teams without an arch rival

4_tattoos

So I'm watching the NCAA Men's Lacrosse championship on Monday and a random thought came to mind. Who is the University of Maryland's arch rival? I know Maryland has historic rivals, but don't have a main arch rival (that I can think of) in the same way UNC has Duke. Maryland is/was at best a secondary rival to a few schools....

• Virginia - after Virginia Tech & arguably North Carolina
  • West Virginia (football) - after Pitt & arguably Virginia Tech
  • Duke (basketball) - after North Carolina & probably the other ACC schools within the state

Since they've joined the Big Ten it's obvious that some people want Maryland & Penn State to become a major rivalry, but that's going to take time to naturally develop.

Are there any other teams out there without a major/primary arch rival?

Hotter Than July > Thriller

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, the admiral said:

The other three teams in the NFC West

I feel like the Rams/49ers rivalry died after the Rams moved to St. Louis. Perhaps the relocation back to LA could reignite the flames of  there.

In the AFC however, I definitely feel like the Chargers don't have a true arch rival.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

9 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

I feel like the Rams/49ers rivalry died after the Rams moved to St. Louis. Perhaps the relocation back to LA could reignite the flames of  there.

I think it should, though give it 2-3 games.  Not least, the actual SF & LA fans will make it so, regardless of the players in the laundry.

I'd love a nice SF-LA Mon or Thu night game, if we're gonna get filler, might as well make it count.

As to the topic, I can't think of any.  Columbus Blue Jackets?  I'd guess the Penguins could eventually fill that void.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

8 minutes ago, 2001mark said:

I think it should, though give it 2-3 games.  Not least, the actual SF & LA fans will make it so, regardless of the players in the laundry.

I'd love a nice SF-LA Mon or Thu night game, if we're gonna get filler, might as well make it count.

As to the topic, I can't think of any.  Columbus Blue Jackets?  I'd guess the Penguins could eventually fill that void.

I'm a casual Blue Jackets fan (can't stand the frustration of following a constantly losing team) but I have friends who are diehards. They don't seem to have any ill will against the Penguins. They hate the Blackhawks and the Red Wings. This is odd because they hate everything else Pittsburgh.

I doubt, however, that Blackhawks or Red Wings fans care much about CBJ.

3 minutes ago, Kaz said:

Probably any of the Phoenix teams.  I guess the Suns maybe have the Lakers, but the Cards, D-Backs and Yotes just seem to be 'there' in their respective divisions.

I'm not even sure who the "historical" rival would be for the Chicago/St. Louis/Phoenix/Arizona Cardinals. That's what happens when you're usually bad and you move several times. Eagles, maybe? The Cards are developing a rivalry with the Seahawks, though, for sure.

6 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

I doubt, however, that Blackhawks or Red Wings fans care much about CBJ.

Yeah, I could see the Red Wings, I just figured how much hatred Cleveland & Pittsburgh fans have for one another primarily through football.  

I think if the Jackets became more of an Ohio thing than a city thing, the Red Wings' Michigan ties could play.  I don't know much about it.  The Red Wings have their plates full with Toronto, Chicago, Montreal, & as NBC has taught me, every f'n American team.

@2001mark

In Minnesota:

• Wild? Not really; maybe a bit of history with Colorado.  But the I'd guess the Wild are not on the top-5 of any other team's list.
  • Twins?  Not really.  Pretty standard level of rivalry with the division rivals.  "I-94" with the Brewers?  meh.
  • T-Wolves?  Like the Wild, not in anyone's top-5.
  • Only the Vikes who have a pretty good rivalry with the Packers (and are probably the Pack's #2 rival) really have one.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

There's also cases where a rivalry might not be reciprocated.

The Phoenix/LA example is definitely one.  Same with the San Diego/LA example.  And let's not forget that ridiculous UConn/UCF made up trophy.

VmWIn6B.png

27 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

In Minnesota:

• Wild? Not really; maybe a bit of history with Colorado.  But the I'd guess the Wild are not on the top-5 of any other team's list.
  • Twins?  Not really.  Pretty standard level of rivalry with the division rivals.  "I-94" with the Brewers?  meh.
  • T-Wolves?  Like the Wild, not in anyone's top-5.
  • Only the Vikes who have a pretty good rivalry with the Packers (and are probably the Pack's #2 rival) really have one.

Probably because no one hates Minnesota or Minnesotans.  Unless, as you've highlighted, the Vikings... one of my least fav franchises on the planet.

Honestly, my perception of Minnesota is the Oregon of the midwest.  

Might as well get yourselves fired up for the Winnipeg Jets... you'd be doing both teams a favour.

@2001mark

The Orioles. We certainly don't like any of our Al East rivals, but we don't really have an "arch-rival". 

Although tbf, here in Baltimore we hate the Yankees, although I'm pretty sure that it's not even a big deal up there. 

spacer.png

It's an interesting topic to think about. I understand reciprocation to be essential to the idea of "arch rival", so on that note...

I think the Jazz could fall under "hate a team super bad but said team probably doesn't feel the same". We hate hate hate despise loathe shudder at the thought of the Lakers, and I'd say if I've observed any team treated like an "arch rival" here, it's them. But I'm sure Jack Nicholson and co. don't even care a bit when we come to Staples. As for me personally, I also loathe the Bulls because ruined childhood (thanks, MJ push off! :P), but other fans have let go a little better and I don't think Bulls fans care either. And why would they, anyways. 

And on on the flip side, I've met Nuggets fans that hate our guts above all else and wish us pulverized, but I've only ever slightly disliked them. There's a decent list of teams I hate and consider stronger rivals ahead of them. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

1 hour ago, Crabcake47 said:

The Orioles. We certainly don't like any of our Al East rivals, but we don't really have an "arch-rival". 

Although tbf, here in Baltimore we hate the Yankees, although I'm pretty sure that it's not even a big deal up there. 

I'd say the Orioles consider the Yankees and Red Sox Nos. 1 and 1A among their rivals.  However, they're never likely to be more than No. 2 for either of those teams.

10 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

So I'm watching the NCAA Men's Lacrosse championship on Monday and a random thought came to mind. Who is the University of Maryland's arch rival? I know Maryland has historic rivals, but don't have a main arch rival (that I can think of) in the same way UNC has Duke. Maryland is/was at best a secondary rival to a few schools....

• Virginia - after Virginia Tech & arguably North Carolina
  • West Virginia (football) - after Pitt & arguably Virginia Tech
  • Duke (basketball) - after North Carolina & probably the other ACC schools within the state

Since they've joined the Big Ten it's obvious that some people want Maryland & Penn State to become a major rivalry, but that's going to take time to naturally develop.

Are there any other teams out there without a major/primary arch rival?

Johns Hopkins is the archrival for lacrosse . . . and the feeling is mutual.  However, I think you're right about there not being an overall archrival and/or one in other sports.

The Penn State football games have already been chippy, so something might develop there.  Adding to the odds is that Penn State really seems to lack an archrival too since the Pitt football series is way back in the rearview mirror.  Let's give it a few more years and check back.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

8 hours ago, 2001mark said:

Probably because no one hates Minnesota or Minnesotans.  Unless, as you've highlighted, the Vikings... one of my least fav franchises on the planet.

Honestly, my perception of Minnesota is the Oregon of the midwest.  

Might as well get yourselves fired up for the Winnipeg Jets... you'd be doing both teams a favour.

Likely as a result of the teams here not winning.  The Vikings have actually been one of the more competitive NFL franchises since their arrival.  (A few years ago I'd heard that since the they'd been to the playoffs more than anyone but Dallas).  They just choke when it matters.  Since they are a division rival of America's Team, and they at least have some history of being competitive with them (unlike Detroit), there probably are a lot of Viking haters.  But really, what's the point in hating the other teams?  The Wolves?  Pity the small-market, bad-weather franchise.  The Twins?  Enough history to appreciate but certainly not enough to be tired of them. The Wild?  Laugh at their underachieving. If anyone should hate the Wild, it's their own fanbase. (I consider the current era of Wild hockey to be the least-likable team I've ever rooted for).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

As for other teams, I think there a lot of examples of teams who have natural rivals, but who are unlikely to be more than No. 2 for other teams.

Examples that I can think of --

Cleveland Browns -- I suspect they consider the Steelers their archrival.  However, unless I'm wrong, the Steelers consider the Ravens their archrival.

Tampa Bay Rays -- I'm not sure who they would consider their biggest rival.  Whoever it may be, I'm fairly certain the feeling isn't mutual.

Michigan State -- If Ohio State is Michigan's archrival (which I think is the answer most Michigan fans would give), Sparty is left standing at No. 2.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The Nats.  I would argue that the Phillies/Mets/Braves all hate one another more than the Nats.  Occasionally records change things, for example the Braves are much less hateable now with their weak record and the Nats are more hateable with 2 division titles in the past 4 years.  

The Wizards.  No team hates the Wizards as their arch rival because they simply aren't worth it.  They are the epitome of irrelevant in the NBA, sad to say.

The Capitals.  The Penguins are close, but I would say the Flyers are their true rival. Plus the Caps/Pens match up is so one sided it hurts any chance of it becoming a true rivalry.

No one will ever accuse DC of being a powerhouse sports town.  

90758391980.gif

38 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

As for other teams, I think there a lot of examples of teams who have natural rivals, but who are unlikely to be more than No. 2 for other teams.

Examples that I can think of --

Cleveland Browns -- I suspect they consider the Steelers their archrival.  However, unless I'm wrong, the Steelers consider the Ravens their archrival.

Tampa Bay Rays -- I'm not sure who they would consider their biggest rival.  Whoever it may be, I'm fairly certain the feeling isn't mutual.

Michigan State -- If Ohio State is Michigan's archrival (which I think is the answer most Michigan fans would give), Sparty is left standing at No. 2.

Far as Michigan / Michigan State goes, there's been years when Notre Dame was good and Sparty was a distant third on the UofM rivalry scale. We would play ND first, OSU last and Sparty would seem like just another week in the middle of things.

I hate to say this, but the Cleveland Indians AND the Cleveland Cavaliers.  We've has some beefs with other teams, like the Yankees and Tigers, but no REAL arch rival.  Same with the Cavs.  There was some bad blood with the Bulls and Pistons... but nothing legitimate.

When it comes to the Browns, the Steelers will always be their arch rival, and vice versa.  Yeah, Cleveland have been irrelevant for 20 years and the Ravens have been the major competition, but if/when the Browns are ever competitive again, the rivalry will rekindle, it will respark and it will be alive.

Yeah, opening this thread and, well, kinda sorta this is a lot of teams I root for.

As has been mentioned, the Blue Jackets are one. Probably should’ve become Nashville (?), but never winning down there didn’t help. But geographically surrounded by teams with a lot of history and existing rivalries, and being generally terrible since the inception doesn’t help.

Indians are kind of one too. I’ve never felt a strong rivalry with any team really — I hate the Yankees more than anyone else, and that’s not a rivalry — and where there are candidates (say, the Reds), there’s probably a bigger existing rivalry (Cardinals, for example).

I think there’s a day where the Browns and Steelers was a two-way thing, but I’m pretty sure we hate the Steelers a lot more than their fans do the Browns. It’s more about the Ravens — and even the Bengals — down there these days. Obviously, we consider Pittsburgh to be our “arch rival,” but that’s not that much of a two-way street these days.

Never felt like the NBA has many great “arch rivalries,” to be frank, given how superstar-dominant the sport is — so the Cavs not having one is probably par for the course. Biggest “rival” these days is probably Golden State, which has no geographic rooting to it.

And as has been at least tangentially alluded to, one could make the case that Notre Dame doesn’t have any “arch” rivalries. The only two schools any of us would consider to be in that category are Michigan and USC, and the former certainly wouldn’t consider ND to be their arch rival. I’ve never quite gotten a grasp on USC though — do Trojans fans care more about UCLA or Notre Dame?

6fQjS3M.png

Archived