Alabama Huntsville Hockey Redesign

MDGP

Hello all, back during my Michigan Tech redesign, I said that I would be back to tackle more college hockey teams. With school, and what ended up being a month of finals, that sort of got pushed back awhile. But, I'm back, and ready to tackle what may be the biggest curiosity in all of college (or possibly any level) hockey, the Alabama-Huntsville Chargers. 

For those of you who are college hockey amateurs, Alabama-Huntsville actually exists. No, they are not very good, though they have made the NCAA tournament twice. Generally, the Chargers are considered a sort of joke or novelty, and really haven't made that big an impact on the landscape. They also have a pretty crappy logo.

With my version of the logo, I initially wanted a soldier on horseback. Initially, UAH's mascot was the Uhlan, a polish cavalry unit from the 18th and 19th centuries. While the name has long since been changed to the Chargers, I thought it could be a nice little tip of the cap to the original name while maintaining the current identity. Long story short, I couldn't make it work, so it's only a horse (For those keeping score, horse rider logos 2: lafarge 0). 

Alabama Huntsville Logo.png

Not much to say, really. It's a stylized front half of a horse.

With the uniforms, I wanted to emulate the style of UAH's previous looks without blatantly copying the Rangers and Blackhawks, or wearing extremely amateurish uniforms. One main feature is the heavy use of black, despite having no black in the logo. This is meant to mimic the design quirk that the real uniforms feature. When determining the striping pattern, I decided to go traditional, but unusual, and applied a three stripe system. However, instead of placing black as the center stripe, like normal, I made it the bottom stripe. It honestly turned out much better than expected, and gives UAH a distinct look. The chest features UAH with the uniform number below. This is an amalgamation of two styled used by the team. The first featured Alabama Hunstville above and below the number. The second was a diagonal UAH. Combine the two, and boom. NOTE: The primary logo features a silver keyline while the uniform features a white keyline. In theory, the silver would be used in all applications, except for athletics uniforms that feature black (ideally, the designs would move away from black and towards silver, but with several blue/silver or blue/white teams in college hockey, I figured I'd keep the traditional blue/black scheme). 

Alabama Huntsville Uniforms.png

Anyway, that's all for this time. It's certainly not as extensive as my Michigan Tech redesign, and I do hope to get back to more extensive treatments in the future. I'm not sure who I'm gonna tackle next, so if you have any suggestions, throw them my way (Existing teams only please) and I'll give em a consideration. Thanks for viewing and thanks for the C+C!

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

• 11 months later...

Hate to bump this after so long but I thought LaFarge (and many others) would want to see this.

I'm playing Eastside Hockey Manager, which is football manager for hockey, and I found a database mod that allows you to play as one of the NCAA teams. I chose Alabama Huntsville, being the closest team to Florida.

Anyway, long story short, I filled some gaps in logos and came across this logo that is by far better than the current horse. Great job!

ehm.png

Not bad. I actually went to UAH, and although we've been pretty garbage for a while, we have 2 DII national championships, and Cam Talbot played there. I'm not a huge fan of the logo as it seems a little cartoonish, but the uniforms are pretty cool. 

10 hours ago, raysox said:

Hate to bump this after so long but I thought LaFarge (and many others) would want to see this.

I'm playing Eastside Hockey Manager, which is football manager for hockey, and I found a database mod that allows you to play as one of the NCAA teams. I chose Alabama Huntsville, being the closest team to Florida.

Anyway, long story short, I filled some gaps in logos and came across this logo that is by far better than the current horse. Great job!

ehm.png

How did you do that? i've been trying to figure out how to put custom logos in that game.

6pycts.jpg

vnmau8.jpg

JiOzZiL.png

hCnSO2I.png  

5 hours ago, b0ss pls said:

How did you do that? i've been trying to figure out how to put custom logos in that game.

There's a folder in the EHM files and it's like pictres > logos then the club or comp folders. In those there's various sizes and you just match the file name to the team and wham!

First thing I did was update the Panthers, and Leafs logos when I bought the game

12 hours ago, JCRGraphix said:

Not bad. I actually went to UAH, and although we've been pretty garbage for a while, we have 2 DII national championships, and Cam Talbot played there. I'm not a huge fan of the logo as it seems a little cartoonish, but the uniforms are pretty cool. 

I'm from Huntsville, and was gonna comment on the "they aren't very good" original comment. I knew they were good back in the day. The UAB Football-like killing of the hockey program really hurt a few years back

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

Archived