The Greatest of all time, is gone

rvrdgsfn

RIP Champ

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/muhammad-ali-greatest-all-time-dead-74-n584776

Muhammad Ali, the silver-tongued boxer and civil rights champion who famously proclaimed himself "The Greatest" and then spent a lifetime living up to the billing, is dead.

Ali died Friday at a Phoenix-area hospital, where he had spent the past few days being treated for respiratory complications, a family spokesperson confirmed to NBC News. He was 74.

baltimoreravens.png

I saw the update on my phone earlier today about him being hospitalized. I was really hoping that this wasn't what would come of it. Damn.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

For many of the CCSLCers who are too young to understand why his death is resonating with many tonight/today, read this piece from The New Yorker in 1998.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1998/10/12/american-hunger?mbid=social_twitter

Thomas Hauser is basically his official biographer, so you can look up his works too.

More thoughts later (either here or in a new post).

He was before my time and I have never been a boxing fan, but you have to love the old clips, particularly the back-and-forth with Cosell. 

My favorite: https://twitter.com/muhammadali/status/35739734915424256

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, OnWis97 said:

He was before my time and I have never been a boxing fan, but you have to love the old clips, particularly the back-and-forth with Cosell. 

My favorite: https://twitter.com/muhammadali/status/35739734915424256

Cosell changed the narrative for Ali after his Supreme Court case was overturned in '71.

And it soon turned bad as Ali threw a decades worth of shade on Joe Frazier.

Granted, Ali loved wrestler Gorgeous George and mimicked him, it got personal and dangerous with Joe Frazier.

He threw serious shade on Floyd Patterson too.

Muhammad Ali didn't create smack talk/shade, but he damn sure secured the patent!

I never saw Ali fight. I never saw Ali speak. Hell, I was just six when he lit the Olympic torch. But I can't remember I didn't know who was The Champ... who was The Greatest...

RIP Muhammad Ali...

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Perhaps the most incredible showman, most outspoken hype man, and fiery athlete of his era and all time. I can never get enough of his interviews with Howard Cosell or watching some of his matches from his prime where he was a force of nature. RIP, Ali.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

6 hours ago, BayouJim said:

"Silence is golden when you can't think of a good answer."

2016 claims another victim.

Touching on what @HedleyLamarr, said, here is that moment

Not trying to be classless, just observational...it's an amazing coincidence that Ali and Turner Field/Olympic Stadium will be part of the past in 2016.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

He was much more than the greatest boxer of all time. He was a philanthropist and a great humanitarian. He retired from the sport in the year that I was born so I obviously never saw him fight. My dad never really liked him because he liked Frazier because he was a Philly guy but there is no denying that Ali was the best. RIP Mr. Ali.

Combine the peak popularity of Jordan, Lebron, and Manning. The result is a good start towards understanding just how "big" Ali was back in the day. It's hard to describe. You had to be there to fully appreciate it. 

BB52Big.jpg

44 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Combine the peak popularity of Jordan, Lebron, and Manning. The result is a good start towards understanding just how "big" Ali was back in the day. It's hard to describe. You had to be there to fully appreciate it. 

Imagine if Ali came onto the scene in this era with Twitter and all of the different social media platforms? He would have been a tremendous follow!

1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

Do you miss boxing's place in American sports? I do. I know punching people in the head is the kind of thing we should be moving beyond as a civilization, but all we've really done is replace it with MMA, which is hardly safer and much less artful.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

26 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

Imagine if Ali came onto the scene in this era with Twitter and all of the different social media platforms? He would have been a tremendous follow!

UFC would have competition.

Archived