Oldschoolvikings NFL Concepts - Added new Chargers, 12/21/16

oldschoolvikings

Really nice stuff here, vikes. Among my favorites are the Eagles and the Lions. I'm glad you stuck with the more detailed eagle wing on the helmet and left the simpler one for the throwback. I see so many concepts where the detailed wing is thrown out altogether, and, IMO, it's the vastly superior decal. 

The Lions looks great with the elimination of black and I'd love to see that Color Rush jersey in live-action. I really like the pant striping on those, too. I even think they could pull off a monochrome Honolulu Blue uni set with this concept in mind. 

For the Packers, everything looks fine except for the TNF uniforms. I see what you're trying to do, but I'm just not so sure it works; the green and navy look a little muddy paired next to each other. What I would suggest, and just hear me out, is to change the shoulder yoke from navy to yellow (a la the 1940 alt.) and adjust the shoulder striping accordingly so that what you basically have is a recolor of the 40's uniforms with some of the modern elements of today's -- just a thought. 

Overall, I really enjoy your work and I'm looking forward to seeing more. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, Heitert said:

Really nice stuff here, vikes. Among my favorites are the Eagles and the Lions. I'm glad you stuck with the more detailed eagle wing on the helmet and left the simpler one for the throwback. I see so many concepts where the detailed wing is thrown out altogether, and, IMO, it's the vastly superior decal. 

The Lions looks great with the elimination of black and I'd love to see that Color Rush jersey in live-action. I really like the pant striping on those, too. I even think they could pull off a monochrome Honolulu Blue uni set with this concept in mind. 

For the Packers, everything looks fine except for the TNF uniforms. I see what you're trying to do, but I'm just not so sure it works; the green and navy look a little muddy paired next to each other. What I would suggest, and just hear me out, is to change the shoulder yoke from navy to yellow (a la the 1940 alt.) and adjust the shoulder striping accordingly so that what you basically have is a recolor of the 40's uniforms with some of the modern elements of today's -- just a thought. 

Overall, I really enjoy your work and I'm looking forward to seeing more. 

Thanks!

The Packers' TNF uniform was a bit of a whim, to be honest.  I had no desire to see either of the obvious choices (green pants to be worn with the regular green jersey, or a gold jersey to be worn with the regular gold pants), and after I had put together the throwback/alt, carrying the yoke over to the color rush uniform seamed like a good way to add an unexpected element.  Plus, as you'll see in future concepts here, I'm kind of hung up on the idea that, according to the NFL press releases, TNF uniforms can include "historical colors".  But the idea to make the yoke gold is something I didn't even try, so I might have to just to see what it looks like.  

36 minutes ago, eick74 said:

Why do you have the Vikings TNF uniform using the older style helmet logo rather than the newer style helmet logo?

Because the uniform (not the colors, obviously, but the design) is based on the Vikings road uniform from the 70's and 80's.  So I used the horn design from the same period, just recolored.

running-back-chuck-foreman-of-the-minnes

Here's the NFC South.  This is the first time I've really made some major changes, since IMO this division has some rather poor looks.  The Falcons' and Bucs' current looks are in my bottom five, and the Saints subject us to that horrific leotard.  The Panthers aren't terrible, but to me, more than a bit overrated.

saintfinal_zpsdhnzhk0s.png

falcfinal_zpstg7p9dxo.png

panthfinal_zps9nfxhoeo.png

bucfinal_zpsgrr0bdqo.png

Well, that didn't take long.  I've already become unhappy with a design... the Falcons. Looking at the previously posted version, I'm unhappy with all the stripes.  I'm not sure why I decided to stray from the recent throwback Falcons uniform, which I love.  Anyway, I've cleaned it up and reposted.

Here's both versions...

Old;

falcfinal_zpsbmgkjchi.png 

And new;

falcfinal_zpstg7p9dxo.png

Anybody like the first one better?

Nope, the second version is definitely better. It's a bit cleaner, with less "floating stripes." I've really been enjoying what you've put out so far in this series.

As far as room for improvements, my only significant suggestions would be to invert the orange and white stripes on the Bears' blue pants and switch to a purple facemask on the Vikings' primary helmet. Other than that, you've done a fantastic job in your definitive series. I can't wait to see how you handle teams like the Chargers and Dolphins!

15 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

As far as room for improvements, my only significant suggestions would be to invert the orange and white stripes on the Bears' blue pants.

Do you mean the standard blue road pants or my throwback pants?

bearfinal_zpsn2g2vs5u.png

Because, with the throwback I'm just trying to be (relatively) accurate.  And if you mean the standard road pants, I think that would look strange, considering how long they've had that stripe.  Have you always disliked it?

Nice work on the South, I never thought of silver for the Panthers' color rush or orange in the Bucs' modern template (for whatever reason or another). Liking your second shot at Atlanta, but the away is somewhat bland.

I am not feeling the Rams TNF uniforms. How about royal blue uniforms with white horns and a white/royal blue/white pant stripe? or replace the white with yellow and do a TNF uniform with no trace of white on it, just royal blue and yellow. It might be hideous but it might be interesting.

st__louis_aces_player_sig___tom_davis_by_verasthebrujah-d9w1l6u.jpg

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_minor_by_verasthebrujah-dbd786h.jpg.04fb6ee08e3d6de5abf371b4fd8bf0bf.jpgmiami_suns_sig_by_verasthebrujah-da7emd5.jpg

1 hour ago, eick74 said:

I am not feeling the Rams TNF uniforms. How about royal blue uniforms with white horns and a white/royal blue/white pant stripe? or replace the white with yellow and do a TNF uniform with no trace of white on it, just royal blue and yellow. It might be hideous but it might be interesting.

That uniform is looking somewhat darker here than in my original image.  I wanted it to be dark and weird, just not quite that dark.  Or weird. I'm not quite ready to give up on it, though.

Archived