MLB Series in Paint by Carolingian Steamroller (Green Rays Update)

Carolingian Steamroller

Greetings All!

After loving and enjoying the concepts section for ages I've decided to start my own MLB series. I'm using paint but I've tried to make these as clean as humanly possible. I'll be doing all 30 MLB teams, going by division, releasing a new team every week day. Any sleeve patches or interesting sleeve details can be seen in the little window above the stirrups. More complex or integral sleeve features like numbers or patterned designs will be put on the uniform. I've tried to make each concept feasible while also taking a few risks. Most of these will be minor tweaks, fixing annoying details in otherwise great designs. For a few teams I've made big changes. 

All comments and criticism are welcome. I will try to cite best as possible if I've used a logo I found anywhere other than on the main Sportslogos page or if there's a design out there that I think is just better than what I've done. 

Thank you all! Let's start with the Atlanta Braves:

The Braves have two good home looks in their white and cream kits and its a real case of overload. So I've looked back to the Hank Aaron Milwaukee Braves and combined them into a single set. Simple navy piping (including belt loops) now coexists with the tomahawk wordmark. I love the dark tomahawk from the 50's and I've incorporated it here along with the socks striping from that era. I noticed a while ago that you could use the cross bar on the capital "A" in Atlanta and extend it so it for the cross in the "t." I've seen it done elsewhere a couple of times so this is my attempt to create that effect. For an alternate I've combined the early '70s feathered sleeves with the satin uniforms worn by the Boston Braves in the '40s for a brighter more colorful look, especially for night games. 

Home.png

Away.png

Alternate Feather.png

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today the Miami Marlins. 

The Marlins are probably one of the most frustrating cases of overkill in baseball. Their logo right now is absolute mess of colors: orange, yellow, blue, black, two difference shades of silver. Its all facets and angles and outlines which is a nightmare visually. So I basically went and took a machete to it because what's underneath is much more solid. They were trying to go for an art deco look to match the vintage architecture on South Beach, although that aspect is totally undermined by their excessive use of black. 

So what I did here is cut out every color except blue and orange (both of which I lightened and softened) retaining silver and black as accents. I based most of the design on this throwback from a few years back. That cleverly used different colors for the headspoon and sleeve stripes which I think adds a needed jolt of fun after so much grim black. Sleeves and socks on all three sets are orange which really increases brightness (something needed in the gloomy Marlins park) and also distinguishes them from the Mets. 

C&C welcome as always. Enjoy.

Home.png

Marlins Alt.png

Road.png

The Marlins are a definite improvement over their current look. I think a lot of people would agree that they need to embrace that shade of blue. 

My only issue with this concept is the black on the "M" on the home and road jerseys. The fact that it's just on the one letter makes it a little distracting. 

22 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

The Marlins are a definite improvement over their current look. I think a lot of people would agree that they need to embrace that shade of blue. 

My only issue with this concept is the black on the "M" on the home and road jerseys. The fact that it's just on the one letter makes it a little distracting. 

I see what you mean. I liked the little black touch because if you look at real marlin, their backs are almost black. So in addition to helping with the beveling issues it made it more anatomically interesting. But maybe its better without black. How do these versions look?

Home.png

Marlins Alt.png

Road.png

Thank you all for the comments and kind words.

Today we have the Mets. When the Mets were looking to get rid of the black elements of their uniforms I thought they might actually keep the drop shadow, just make it all blue and orange. I think that would have been an interesting look so that's what I've done here. Cap and sleeve patch are all the same as now because they have that figured out. For an alternate I couldn't decide between two options. I went through a few different variances and these were the ones that made it to the end. I didn't want to do a snow white because the Mets have mucked around with alternate home whites in the past and I think it detracted from their look. 

C&C appreciated as always.

Home.png

Away.png

Alternate B.png

Alternate.png

So here's a wild solution that may cover both the alternate and the racing stripe issues. I really hate the racing stripe look as it looked in the 80's. Side panels just do not belong on a baseball uniform. In order for the wide stripes to be continuous, they have to extend to the pant cuff and there is a limit to how wide one can make stripes on baseball pants without making them look weird. So whatever racing stripes style I want to do, has to include narrow pants stripes. My solution is the old concept of the contrasting placket. Use the button down area as the place for wide striping so it doesn't need to carry over to the pants. I've made this version all blue to give a slightly negro leagues look. 

All Blue.png

Archived