MLB Series in Paint by Carolingian Steamroller (Green Rays Update)

Carolingian Steamroller

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So one more revision. Since the Padres insist on using blue as their base color the question is what should be the complementary color? I propose, if they're really set on using blue, why not try copper? It has elements of orange, yellow, and brown all at once and provides warmth in an otherwise cool environment. Think Arizona's copper helmets. Using copper also provides a great opportunity to bring back the sandy road uniforms since the shades are somewhat related. 

Padres Home 2.png

Padres Road 2.png

Here's some revised copper centric uniforms. I added some copper trim to the sand away uniform to the numbers and script and I added an alt with an alt cap. These are more traditional style templates. I'm using a proper double headspoon piping instead of the bastardized version the Pads use right now. It's more traditional, maybe a little too boring but I think the contrast sleeves only really work with the browns. Thoughts?

Padres Home 2.png

Padres Home Alt.png

Padres Road 2.png

I think this is my favorite update yet. You're right, the contrasting sleeves aren't as effective in any other color scheme, and to be completely honest I wasn't a huge fan of the uber-dark shade of brown you were using. I'd love to see the Padres go in this direction.

1 hour ago, coco1997 said:

I think this is my favorite update yet. You're right, the contrasting sleeves aren't as effective in any other color scheme, and to be completely honest I wasn't a huge fan of the uber-dark shade of brown you were using. I'd love to see the Padres go in this direction.

The problem with the Padres is that since the 2012 switch from their initial blue and gold scheme their designs have been really boring. There's a limited vocabulary of design options for most 21st century baseball clubs but San Diego has taken it to 2nd grade levels. The schemes from 1991-2011 may not have been brown but the blue and orange look certainly had its moments and the first blue and gold one had some definite charm. So it's clear they need a definite boost. 

7 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

The problem with the Padres is that since the 2012 switch from their initial blue and gold scheme their designs have been really boring. There's a limited vocabulary of design options for most 21st century baseball clubs but San Diego has taken it to 2nd grade levels. The schemes from 1991-2011 may not have been brown but the blue and orange look certainly had its moments and the first blue and gold one had some definite charm. So it's clear they need a definite boost. 

Have you seen this? http://www.gaslampball.com/2016/11/27/13755986/tfhs-special-redesigning-the-padres-uniform-redesign-brown-gold-orange-2017

I like the idea of using gold/yellow at home and orange on the away uniforms. Reminds me of @MJD7's Twins concept where he gave them gold trim at home and powder blue on the road.

• 2 weeks later...

A few more edits as I've been procrastinating on starting a new series. On @coco1997's suggestion, I tinkered with an orange trimmed road for the Padres. I liked it so much, I decided to redo the home and alternate with orange and I like it better than the yellow centric design. deeper shade really works so long as you don't let it get too cluttered (side note: its why the classic Browns look great and the current Browns look like :censored:e). 

Padres Home.png
Padres Road.png
Padres Alt 5.png

I've also made some edits to the Nats. I enlarged the wordmarks so they aren't lost in the piping and altered the stripes on the stirrups. Oddly enough it now mimics the classic Washington football look which is a nice touch. 

Home.png
Away.png
Alternate.png

Padres Alt.png

7 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

A few more edits as I've been procrastinating on starting a new series. On @coco1997's suggestion, I tinkered with an orange trimmed road for the Padres. I liked it so much, I decided to redo the home and alternate with orange and I like it better than the yellow centric design. deeper shade really works so long as you don't let it get too cluttered (side note: its why the classic Browns look great and the current Browns look like :censored:e). 

Padres Home.png
Padres Road.png
Padres Alt.png

I've also made some edits to the Nats. I enlarged the wordmarks so they aren't lost in the piping and altered the stripes on the stirrups. Oddly enough it now mimics the classic Washington football look which is a nice touch. 

Home.png
Away.png
Alternate.png

I like your Pads concepts in terms of design, but that brown is simply too dark!

14 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

I like your Pads concepts in terms of design, but that brown is simply too dark!

I don't like the lighter brown that appears elsewhere because I think it doesn't create enough contrast between the brown portions and the orange/yellow portions. To my eye, the brown looks best in the pictures of throwbacks or retro uniforms that are, so to speak, as full of cacao as humanly possible. 

2 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I don't like the lighter brown that appears elsewhere because I think it doesn't create enough contrast between the brown portions and the orange/yellow portions. To my eye, the brown looks best in the pictures of throwbacks or retro uniforms that are, so to speak, as full of cacao as humanly possible. 

Meh. I think it looks too close to black. You know if they were to adopt brown and orange the Giants would see to it that the brown would be light enough to not look like black.

36 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Meh. I think it looks too close to black. You know if they were to adopt brown and orange the Giants would see to it that the brown would be light enough to not look like black.

I'm sure they would protest, similar to how the Boston Bruins did when the Penguins went to black and gold. While I wouldn't want the uniforms to be black, whatever the line the Giants felt was light enough to be distinguishable, I would want them to be right at that line. I think a lot would be directed at the aesthetics. After, the Padres had brown and orange during the 80's but their uniforms were different enough from what the Giants wore at the time that no one would confuse the two. I think the contrasting sleeves and bright whites go a long way towards that. I don't think you could turn on the TV, not knowing who was playing, see these uniforms and say "Are those the Giants?"

FYI, I'm not criticizing your personal choice, every one is entitle to their own tastes. I'm actually just enjoying the back and forth. The topic of Padres in brown is just a really interesting design question. Just from my work on this series on know how different the looks end up being with yellow or orange. You wind up with totally different looks. 

33 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I'm sure they would protest, similar to how the Boston Bruins did when the Penguins went to black and gold. While I wouldn't want the uniforms to be black, whatever the line the Giants felt was light enough to be distinguishable, I would want them to be right at that line. I think a lot would be directed at the aesthetics. After, the Padres had brown and orange during the 80's but their uniforms were different enough from what the Giants wore at the time that no one would confuse the two. I think the contrasting sleeves and bright whites go a long way towards that. I don't think you could turn on the TV, not knowing who was playing, see these uniforms and say "Are those the Giants?"

FYI, I'm not criticizing your personal choice, every one is entitle to their own tastes. I'm actually just enjoying the back and forth. The topic of Padres in brown is just a really interesting design question. Just from my work on this series on know how different the looks end up being with yellow or orange. You wind up with totally different looks. 

I gotcha. Also, FWIW (and probably an unpopular opinion on my part), I definitely prefer brown-and-orange to brown-and-yellow for the Pads.

12 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

I gotcha. Also, FWIW (and probably an unpopular opinion on my part), I definitely prefer brown-and-orange to brown-and-yellow for the Pads.

I'd always thought that brown/yellow was the way to go, until I tried out brown-orange. Now I like the brown-orange combo more. It totally changes the look but done right the orange combo works great.

1 hour ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I'd always thought that brown/yellow was the way to go, until I tried out brown-orange. Now I like the brown-orange combo more. It totally changes the look but done right the orange combo works great.

I think SD could get away with Brown/Yellow at home and Brown/Orange on the road with a Brown/Yellow/Orange alternate unifying it all.

Archived