MLB Series in Paint by Carolingian Steamroller (Green Rays Update)

Carolingian Steamroller

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good Morning! Big changes for the Rays. 

As far as color scheme went, I gave serious thought to bringing back the green/light blue scheme from the early '00s. I mocked it up in green but somehow I didn't think it worked better than the navy/powder blue/yellow scheme they currently employ. Key to my thinking was their awesome pullover fauxbacks. So I thought, "What would the Rays look like if they tried to do the same thing with their fake double knit era that Toronto did with their real double knit era? Then I saw the Mariners recent throwbacks and it clicked. Powder blue roads, shoulder stripes, and panel cap while still being calm and restrained. The true wackiness is reserved for the alts which incorporate contrasting raglan sleeves. I loved the look from spring training this year so that's what I used as the focal point. All in all I think this gives the Rays a much needed jolt while still giving them classy and sleek home and roads. 

C&C as always. Enjoy!

Home v2.png

Alt.png

Road v2.png

Road Alt.png

On June 30, 2016 at 10:36 AM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Alternate.png

Love this set. Could you have the piping go white/black/white? So it consistent with black being in the center of all the other piping. Also, it'll differ from the Orioles set with the same b/w/b (which shouldn't be changed since it's perfect...like a throwback). Great work!

2 minutes ago, Paul Lucas said:

Love this set. Could you have the piping go white/black/white? So it consistent with black being in the center of all the other piping. Also, it'll differ from the Orioles set with the same b/w/b (which shouldn't be changed since it's perfect...like a throwback). Great work!

How about this? It matches the look from the late '70s early '80s.

Alternate.png

The Rays look awesome! Not really what I expected you'd do with them but a nice look nonetheless. Personally I think the powder blue looks a little too gray, unless that was your intention. And I still think Tampa could do better than navy blue as far as their color scheme goes but the added emphasis on yellow is a big improvement. The "t-bar" shoulder stripes are a nice touch, too. 

Just now, coco1997 said:

I do like the green, but paired with yellow it makes the them look too much like the A's, so I'd say stick with the navy. 

6 minutes ago, Victormrey said:

I think navy is definitely better than green. I really like what you've done for the Rays, specially the use of their alt logo on the front of the unis.

That's where I was leaning too. I think going bigger on the yellow means the navy works better.

Just now, Carolingian Steamroller said:

That's where I was leaning too. I think going bigger on the yellow means the navy works better.

Agreed. Have you considered making the powder blue closer to the blue of their current alternate? 

Archived