MLB Series in Paint by Carolingian Steamroller (Green Rays Update)

Carolingian Steamroller

21 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I tried it but I found it too electric to work in monochrome. 

Since they wear light blue/dark blue/yellow...he's a crazy idea...try them in San Diego Chargers colors. Same-ish colors, but brighter and look more like a warm-weather team. If that makes sense. 

image.png

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Paul Lucas said:

Since they wear light blue/dark blue/yellow...he's a crazy idea...try them in San Diego Chargers colors. Same-ish colors, but brighter and look more like a warm-weather team. If that makes sense. 

image.png

I think that blue would be too dark for a monochrome road set. 

Today we have my team, the White Sox.

First let me assure everyone that I have gone through nearly every conceivable version of this concept. Different colors, different patterns, different logos. It was really important for me to get this right. I've even done White Sox concepts in the past if you want to check them out.

In the end it comes down to two features: white socks and black caps. It's weird that the Sox are a hosery named team whose hose is the opposite of what they should be. I heard one argument that they considered white socks when they went to their current set but couldn't make it work based on the doctrine that a baseball uniform should match the caps, sleeves, belt, socks, and shoes. Mostly I think the argument that socks must match sleeves and with baseball outlawing white sleeves, white hose are essentially a no go. Then last summer the solution dropped into my lap in the form of their 1976 throwbacks. If I couldn't make the sleeves white, I could make the pants dark and that would create the necessary contrast. 

I considered the 80's style logos and colors but in the end, there's only one choice: the black gothic S-O-X. There's never a cap more iconic, more important, and more successful to the team that that one and the black and silver scheme that came with it. So that's what I went with. 

Stylistically I wanted something that would be unique. So I adapted the styles from the late 60's, including sleeve numbers and block script. I also recognize that wearing black pants might not be comfortable in say, Texas in August. So I added some white pants to be worn only when the temperature rises above 87 degrees.

Enjoy! 

Sleeve Quick Fix Home Uniform.pngSleeve Quick Fix Away Uniform.pngSleeve Quick Fix Home Alternate Uniform.pngSleeve Quick Fix Away Alternate Uniform.png

Love what you've done with the Sox. It's like an alternate universe version of their current identity. The retro block lettering and sleeve numbers work great alongside all the modern day elements.

The only thing that would be weird would be seeing a team wear white pants on the road, but maybe that would be a quirk unique to the Sox. 

10 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

Love what you've done with the Sox. It's like an alternate universe version of their current identity. The retro block lettering and sleeve numbers work great alongside all the modern day elements.

The only thing that would be weird would be seeing a team wear white pants on the road, but maybe that would be a quirk unique to the Sox. 

Good news is that it'd only be the rare, obscenely hot day, most likely in Texas. Its not without precedent though, even with the Sox:

152865720-catcher-carlton-fisk-of-the-ch

9 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Good news is that it'd only be the rare, obscenely hot day, most likely in Texas. Its not without precedent though, even with the Sox:

You know, as big of a Sox fan as I am, I never realized the '76 unis utilized white pants on the road. D'oh! :blush:

Burn on big river, its time for Cleveland.

Regarding Chief Wahoo, I had originally left the logo on the sleeve exactly as it appears today but in the end I couldn't do it. I don't know exactly what will replace it in the future and there's a lot of great ideas but in the end my mind went a little blank and I didn't want to just rip off someone else's. 

Aside from that, I mostly left the uniforms intact because I think what they've done this year by using blue sleeves/socks on the road and red sleeves/socks/cleat at home is ingenious. Totally unique and it looks terrific. What I did change was to rally the uniform around the block "C" present on the cap and the block letters on the road uniform. To that end I added the "C" to the home cap and swapped out the script "Indians" in favor of the block "INDIANS" on the home and away. I also moved the collar stripe slightly away from the neck hole of the jersey, more like the Angels use, because it kills me that you cannot see the stripe on the road jersey because the under shirts are the same color. No cream alt or red cap, I think this is a set that looks crisp and clean, difficulties with the chief aside. 

C&C as always, enjoy!

Home.png

Home Alternate.png

Road.png

Road Alternate.png

Posting the Royals a few hours early. 

The Royals have a good look but they have one glaring omission: they belong in powder blue roads. Every second they fail to wear the Bo Jackson era uniforms as an everyday road are a waste of everyone's collective time. So I've revived them through their current alts, along with the plain royal alternate jersey that never should have been retired in the first place. 

C&C as always. Enjoy!

Alternate.png

Road.png

Home.png

13 hours ago, cjm3114jr said:

@Carolingian Steamroller Do you consider gold to be a part of their color scheme? IMO, the Royals are slowly transitioning to have more gold. Any way we could see some gold?

I agree. For kicks, could you do a home uniform with gold outlines? And maybe an alternate like this: blue and a gold with blue outline like Baltimore does a black and orange with a black outline. ? Thanks!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Archived