Interesting find while watching OJ: Made in America

MJWalker45

http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/051117

While watching archival footage of O.J. Simpson playing in 1968 I noticed that the Trojans played a team that had a combination of gold and dark helmets. After reviewing the schedule I knew it had to either be Maimi (FL) or Washington. The team turned out to be the Washington Huskies. After consulting with a few other sources I found this, which is found in the article posted above in an article discussing award decals:

Meanwhile, it turns out that decals aren't the only mechanism for helmet accolades. Check out these chapters from college football history:

• From reader Jim Holt: "In the 1960s, when the Washington Huskies wore plain gold helmets, players who graded out to some absurdly high level on defense would be awarded a purple helmet for the next game. So you'd have most of the team wearing gold, but one or two guys a game on defense would be outfitted in purple."

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, sleuthpanther said:

Thats just... so weird. I've NEVER heard anything like this. Do you know the most recent case of this?

The article mentions 1985 Iowa State Cyclones as far as NCAA teams. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, WavePunter said:

IIRC, Alabama did it, but did so by giving WR's white helmets to make them easier to see downfield

This was the reason for the Browns going with orange helmets.

It's also probably the reason the NCAA had to step in.

Though, really what difference is there to different helmets than just giving someone a crap-ton of award stickers like OSU to just plaster all over their helmet until it's indecipherable from the regular helmet?

Didn't the old WFL of the 70s experiment with different pants for each position or something like that?

The helmet stripes are distinctive enough to stand out on Ohio State's helmets. They also don't have a helmet logo to avoid covering over as well. And YouTube actually has video of some of those games. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived