Indiana Pacers Rebrand: Logo + Script

FinsUp1214

13 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I'd add webbing on the helmet to mimic the seams in a basketball. Right now I think it would work better as a football logo until you add another element to it.

I feel like the logo is already good enough for their D-League team, and that just might be a bit over the top.

On 6/15/2016 at 10:10 PM, Tygers09 said:

So bringing up the history of the franchise name is futile for the using a racing motif for a new logo?  

As for bringing up the Warriors, not all NBA teams have basketball in their logo, do the Warriors have one in their logo? NO they use a bridge. So teams use a symbol of the geographical area for their logo. Though a bridge is synonymous of the San Francisco Bay area ( the area is filled with bridges),  it has nothing to do with the name, Warriors.

Warrior: 

A person engaged or experienced in warfare and combat; a soldier

The Warriors old logo, the person with a lightning bolt superimposed over the word WARRIORS (1997/1998-2009/2010) was one of their best logos IMHO.

- yep, 'cause history is not the issue.

This could happen with a brand new franchise in a different sport tomorrow and the issue would still remain --

how to successfully market a sport team with a brand name and imagery for a completely different sport.

- beware of false equivalence.

The warriors don't have the pacers 2-sport branding issue. You're arguing brand consistency, which is a different issue. Just because the branding for the warriors isn't internally consistent does have anything at all to do with the pacers concept . In fact the pacers concept here is pretty unified....for car racing.

- this is why they are named the warriors:

20_6012A_lg.jpeg

....which is why i had that part about legacy branding. A blue guy holding a lightning bolt was one way to go from there i suppose. 

On 6/15/2016 at 10:18 PM, Tygers09 said:

Here's a thought...why does the Lakers logo have motion lines, when it would perfectly fit with the Pacers?

Basketball is a fast-paced sport, the Lakers obviously thought speed lines would evoke that.

BTW the Lakers are a team that very decisively chose to emphasize brand name over brand imagery. They saw the problem of importing a locally flavored name to a new city and dealt with it that way. I mean having transport ships as your logo for an LA team would be lame...almost as lame as using a giraffe logo....cause giraffes are a tall.....and the players are tall...

sE1UbzE.jpg

...well, they got there eventually.

On 6/15/2016 at 9:44 PM, FinsUp1214 said:

- I'm not extremely familiar with the NBA's branding requirements, but is it true that they really require a ball for primaries? Because the Spurs, Rockets, Grizzlies, Warriors, and a couple others I think don't use a ball and weren't sure if they were grandfathered in.

- i doubt it. anyway, i dont believe it really reduces to show the ball, or dont show the ball. its about selling a product the best way you can.

I have a couple of thoughts

1) The brim of the helmet needs to be longer. Right now, it reads like a military soldier's helmet rather than an old-timey racing helmet.

2) Since you have various colored elements that trail off with no natural connection, I'd be curious to see how this gets applied on a colored background. I'd hate for you to run into Carolina Panthers territory where not having a keyline muddies the logo.

To answer Commodore Crablegs, the NBA doesn't seem to require a basketball in the primary, as long as there's one in the package. The new Hawks primary has no basketball in it, nor does Milwaukee's, Minnesota's, Memphis's, San Antonio's, or Portland's. Maybe this could be as simple as doing a roundel or shield with a basketball in it with the character on top of everything.

Other than that, this logo and script is bomb. I can't wait for the rest of the package.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

Archived