Which team has the worst identity?

Ark

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MLB - Padres.  Pick colors and build a real identity    Indians -  Block C or Wahoo.  Pick one. (Block C if you ask me).   Diamondbacks - Mess, mess mess

NHL -  I really have no issues with NHL identities. The Kings would be about the only one.  The black/silver or yellow/purple colors and way differing logos.  

NBA - Thunder, Clippers, Jazz, Lakers and Nets.  Geography, team names, and logo boredom issues with these teams.

NFL -  I think team identities are fine, but I have issues with the uniforms of certain teams.  Bucs - uniforms/mess   Jacksonville - Uniform is fine. Helmet awful.   Lions - My beloved Lions need to lose the black and get back to the real Honolulu blue and silver   Bengals - panels    Rams - old school blue/yellow need to be full time now    

16 minutes ago, Proc said:

MLB - Indians -  Block C or Wahoo.  Pick one. (Block C if you ask me)

I think the Block C logo is too plain. Add something to it rather than how it is right now. Use the C from the old Cleveland wordmark and there you go. I like Chief Wahoo but it can't remain as is. Go with a design that is somewhat similar to the Redskins but reflective of an actual Indian tribe in Ohio, or get rid of it altogether. And

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Surprised nobody has mentioned the Cavaliers yet. I'm a huge Cavs fan but since their update after Lebron left the brand has become more and more confused and diluted every year since. They still utilize wordmarks/logos from their previous set, yet they appear nowhere on the uniforms. 

There was this logo that appeared on the court for the first year, but has never been reference or heard from again.

images.jpegCleveland-Cavaliers.png

There is no blue on the home or away uniform but they dominate other brand elements like the current courtCleveland_Cavaliers_court_logo.gif

They constantly wear their alternate blues on the road. They have the gold alternates. And can't decide what they want their primary logo to be. Not to mention they have a black for black's sake sleeved uniform.

On 7/4/2016 at 1:51 AM, The Six said:

Islanders.

What's the issue?  Name is evocative of the region they're from, they have a common NY blue/orange color scheme that isn't overused in their sport, and their logo depicts Long Island.  Even if the logo is a bit dated, their identity is still pretty solid. 

The Rangers on the other hand.....

6 hours ago, BrianLion said:

What's the issue?  Name is evocative of the region they're from, they have a common NY blue/orange color scheme that isn't overused in their sport, and their logo depicts Long Island.  Even if the logo is a bit dated, their identity is still pretty solid. 

The Rangers on the other hand.....

What, you didn't know that a bunch of the Texas Rangers moved to NYC and became police detectives there? ?

(Incidentally, that could be a pretty solid premise for a TV show.)

The Ottawa Senators. I'll even go as far as to say that they've never even looked decent and that a full time switch to the heritage look would be disastrous. They should blow it up and start over but (unfortunately) never will because of the rich history of the Senators name in hockey in Ottawa. 

On 6/19/2016 at 9:29 AM, hormone said:

Mlb: rays. Are you a sting ray like in your aquarium in the outfield and on your home/road sleeve patch or a ray of light like on your wordmark and bp hats?

I like to imagine them as a bunch of guys named Ray.

carl-b.jpg

(I know his name's Carl, but this is the image that pops into my head when I think of a guy named Ray.)

1 hour ago, Jamikel said:

I like to imagine them as a bunch of guys named Ray.

carl-b.jpg

(I know his name's Carl, but this is the image that pops into my head when I think of a guy named Ray.)

I could imagine the Rays being Ray Ramano

IMG_0479.JPG

Nba 

Good identity but worst logo: Bucks, Clippers, Thunder 

Worst identity: Grizzlies, Lakers, Jazz, Wizards

Mlb 

Good identity but worst logo: Marlins, Padres, Indians (I don't like C Block, early 70's font or Chief Wahoo are better)  

Worst identity: Dodgers

Nfl

Good identity but worst logo: Browns, Giants, Jets

On 7/8/2016 at 7:25 AM, twi said:

The Ottawa Senators. I'll even go as far as to say that they've never even looked decent and that a full time switch to the heritage look would be disastrous. They should blow it up and start over but (unfortunately) never will because of the rich history of the Senators name in hockey in Ottawa. 

The original uniforms were okay when they matched. The swooshy sweaters were awful. The SNES sweater was awful. The laurel-leaf striped sweater was the best. The stuff they have now is awful. The heritage =O= stuff is pretty dull and is only held in high esteem vis-a-vis the terrible everyday uniforms. The Senators' branding over the years can be characterized as not only taking wrong turns where they should have taken right ones (updating the 2D and 3D logos but only using the vastly inferior 3D), but taking wrong turns where you didn't even think there was a turn to make (why. why did the swooshy sweaters ever exist. why).

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 8:34 AM, Virtus said:

Nba 

Good identity but worst logo: Bucks, Clippers, Thunder 

Worst identity: Grizzlies, Lakers, Jazz, Wizards

Mlb 

Good identity but worst logo: Marlins, Padres, Indians (I don't like C Block, early 70's font or Chief Wahoo are better)  

Worst identity: Dodgers

Nfl

Good identity but worst logo: Browns, Giants, Jets

Interesting opinions. The Marlins' current logo and color scheme have really grown on me since their introduction in 2012. The Dodgers' name doesn't really make sense for L.A. (they were a reference to people dodging trolleys in Brooklyn), but they're such an institution, and look so good, that I don't think they could be changed without literal rioting.

As far as the NBA is concerned, I think Clippers are the obvious answer here, but I also think the Thunder and - hear me out on this one - the Suns deserve to be in the discussion. There's the color inconsistencies - seem to be a black and orange team at home, purple and orange on the road and sometimes orange and black or even grey/black/orange when they want to be. The uniforms seem to have too much going on and are over designed with elements that don't flow together (the 90's homage steaks on the jersey don't really mesh with anything else, the weird butt stripe thing is random, the wing/sun is just kinda there), and altogether the identity just seems like a broken mismatch with gaps and holes that are painfully obvious. Plus they still insist on keeping that stupid "PHX" around. The big kicker to top it all of, though, is that Phoenix used to be one of those teams that, in my opinion, never had a bad look. Okay, maybe the orange "PHX" uniform from the Nash days. But that was really it. They were solid for years, but now identity-wise are just a shell of what they used to be. 

The one thing the Suns do have going for them is that they have some great logos and wordmarks (remove the flaming PHX and change the primary's base color to purple again and they're in the running for best logo/wordmark set in the league, in my opinion). However, you could put a Monet on top of a pile of cow crap, and it doesn't make the pile of cow crap into anything better. 

Onto other leagues quickly...

MLB: Diamondbacks, Diamondbacks, Diamondbacks. I think I've given much more than two cents on that mess already.

NHL: Ducks. *insert puke emoji here*

NFL: I think the NFL has more of a "uniform" problem than an "identity problem", as I think the bases of most identities are solid but most of the uniforms do a poor job of expressing that. That said, I think I'd give a slight edge to the Jaguars or Bucs. Even then however, with some changes to the uniform itself I think they'd be solid. Before their changes, the Bucs had a top-5 identity with similar logos and colors. They could easily replicate that with the colors and logo set they have now (and the Jaguars probably could as well).

MLS: I don't know that there is one horrible identity. I know it's easy to point fingers at RSL, but with other teams now following the euro trend, they aren't the only offenders now and as a fan, I've grown so attached to them that I couldn't ever (nor would want to) imagine them being anything else. I suppose if I had to choose one, I'd say Sporting KC just because everything about the Wizards was so good and they had probably the steepest downgrade in my opinion. But it's not at all horrible or "worst" in the same vein that the Ducks and Diamondbacks are. It just so happens to be the "least good" identity in the league, in my opinion. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

5 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

Interesting opinions. The Marlins' current logo and color scheme have really grown on me since their introduction in 2012. The Dodgers' name doesn't really make sense for L.A. (they were a reference to people dodging trolleys in Brooklyn), but they're such an institution, and look so good, that I don't think they could be changed without literal rioting.

I agree about Dodgers. The name is wrong for L.A. (just like Lakers) but they are both historical teams

About Marlins, I prefer orange& teal color scheme e don't like the logo, too semplified   

On 7/7/2016 at 5:49 PM, MCM0313 said:

What, you didn't know that a bunch of the Texas Rangers moved to NYC and became police detectives there? ?

(Incidentally, that could be a pretty solid premise for a TV show.)

Their original owner was George Rickard, nickname Tex.  Tex's Rangers..get it?  

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

41 minutes ago, Needschat said:

Their original owner was George Rickard, nickname Tex.  Tex's Rangers..get it?  

(Johnny Carson voice) I did not know that. Weird, wild stuff.

Seriously, though, I didn't know that. Thanks for telling me.

Archived