Which team has the worst identity?

Ark

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Milwaukee Brewers.  Last night confirmed it:

eed152a0-5b6f-464e-bda0-39610ac62121.jpg

Either commit to the royal blue and ball-in-glove logo or don't

San Diego Padres.  The All Star break also confirm that the Padres don't know what the hell they want to be.  "Navy, yellow, gold, orange, brown: we'll take em all!" - The Padres

The Padres are the dork that makes 50+ NCAA Tournament brackets, hoping that just one will be a real winner and sure enough they all end up being duds.

90758391980.gif

57 minutes ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

This was truly horrible. It shouldn't even have been allowed...

On 7/3/2016 at 8:39 PM, Nyk33 said:

RSL has nothing on the Red Bulls...

1271px-New_York_Red_Bulls_logo.svg.png

mike-grella-new-york-red-bulls-mls-04182

int_150726_red_bulls_benfica.jpg

I'd agree to a certain extent but RSL's badge (on kit) is a great design. Sometimes the design is the crown (no pun intended) of the identity.  Yes, "Real" is a bit pretentious but if they were to change it to just Salt Lake, a small change to the badge wouldn't hurt it all that much.  

RBNY is one of the "Darkside" teams the league needs! We need an evil-sponsor team.  Iconic logo for the grass-rooters to hate! Gives the league personality. All kidding aside, the logo is iconic and super recognizable. Kits are actually designed pretty well and now that all RB teams around the world (well most) are playing in each of their respective country's 1st division, the rep for the energy drink conglomerate can only go up.   

On 7/12/2016 at 7:21 AM, BrandMooreArt said:

i forgot about MLS. i would certainly put RSL and NE into the discussion based on the logos alone. looking at everything though, logos, colors, uniforms, name - i'll cast my vote to RSL for worst identity there. 

I'd say the Revs logo is worse. That thing should have been left with the 1994 World Cup uniforms. At least with soccer uniforms they'll rotate out every two years.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 7/2/2016 at 6:22 PM, Chawls said:

IIRC, wasn't the Thunder's branding specifically generic because they didn't have a name chosen timely enough to develop a proper identity? They get my vote. 

How long does that take, though? They left Seattle in '08! 

On 7/5/2016 at 1:44 PM, MJWalker45 said:

I think the Block C logo is too plain. Add something to it rather than how it is right now. Use the C from the old Cleveland wordmark and there you go. I like Chief Wahoo but it can't remain as is. Go with a design that is somewhat similar to the Redskins but reflective of an actual Indian tribe in Ohio, or get rid of it altogether. And

Without going too in-depth or creating controversy, if the Indians completely get rid of Wahoo, I think they'd be fine to keep the name. Just don't replace him with another caricature. It's still a potential PC sticking point, but I work for the Indian Health Service. So long as the US Government is still using it, I don't think they'd catch too much flak.

The Redskins aren't in the same boat, since the name itself is viewed, by many natives, as a derogatory term.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

NHL: Phoenix Coyotes

The logo was starting to look dated years ago but at least it was on an okay jersey.  The striping configuration of the current set is not only laughably bad, but it earns the distinction of being both busy and bland.  The hanger effect adds nothing to the design and the state shoulder patch is a huge downgrade from the original.  The only bright spot is the new paw-print logo, but even that design is flawed because there's no way it could work on the road uniform.  Hence why they're stuck with the disfigured state patch.

NFL: Baltimore Ravens

The drab colour scheme really sinks this for me.  The purple is so dark, it practically blends in with the black creating a dark, convoluted mess of a uniform.  Their logo set is mediocre at best and the 'Maryland' patch sticks out like a sore thumb.

NBA: OKC Thunder

The logo is an absolute travesty and wholly worthy of it's punchline status on these boards.  The colour scheme hasn't aged well and the alternates are laughably bad.

MLB: Boston Red Sox, Cleveland Indians, L.A. Angels, Minnesota Twins, Atlanta Braves, Washington Nationals.

Seriously, how many Red, Navy and white teams do you need.  Has to be the most boring, overused colour scheme in sports.

On 7/16/2016 at 3:59 PM, Morgo said:

NHL: Phoenix Coyotes

The logo was starting to look dated years ago but at least it was on an okay jersey.  The striping configuration of the current set is not only laughably bad, but it earns the distinction of being both busy and bland.  The hanger effect adds nothing to the design and the state shoulder patch is a huge downgrade from the original.  The only bright spot is the new paw-print logo, but even that design is flawed because there's no way it could work on the road uniform.  Hence why they're stuck with the disfigured state patch.

NFL: Baltimore Ravens

The drab colour scheme really sinks this for me.  The purple is so dark, it practically blends in with the black creating a dark, convoluted mess of a uniform.  Their logo set is mediocre at best and the 'Maryland' patch sticks out like a sore thumb.

NBA: OKC Thunder

The logo is an absolute travesty and wholly worthy of it's punchline status on these boards.  The colour scheme hasn't aged well and the alternates are laughably bad.

MLB: Boston Red Sox, Cleveland Indians, L.A. Angels, Minnesota Twins, Atlanta Braves, Washington Nationals.

Seriously, how many Red, Navy and white teams do you need.  Has to be the most boring, overused colour scheme in sports.

Isn't ironic that while navy and red is overused in MLB, there's only one team that uses green(Oakland) and one team that uses purple(Colorado). You would think the Royals would do the right thing and change their royal blue to purple. There's a lot of royal blue in MLB as well. 

On 7/15/2016 at 10:44 AM, Est1980 said:

How long does that take, though? They left Seattle in '08! 

they wanted to stay away from anything they felt was cliche'. buffalo, lightning, etc. in doing so, they steered themselves away from mascots and imagery that sparks the imagination (and strong cognitive connections) and drove the identity into a contrived mess of shape and color. if i'm picking one identity in sports as the worst, its easily OKC

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

On July 13, 2016 at 2:46 PM, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

San Diego Padres.  The All Star break also confirm that the Padres don't know what the hell they want to be.  "Navy, yellow, gold, orange, brown: we'll take em all!" - The Padres

The Padres are the dork that makes 50+ NCAA Tournament brackets, hoping that just one will be a real winner and sure enough they all end up being duds.

The worst the Brewers looked ever [don't count the batting practice jerseys]

NHL

Anaheim Ducks: Mighty Ducks logo, webbed D logo, Anaheim Script logo etc. Pick one and go with it.

Columbus Blue Jackets: Another red, white and blue team in pro sports - atleast adopt the historical aspect, finally dropped the bug concept.

Minnesota Wild: Same as Anaheim, Animal logo, script logo, different uniform designs. Just pick one.

Vancouver Canucks: See the last 20 years and get back to me. WTF is going on. They must throw a dart at a board and choose their next season jerseys on that.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

On 7/12/2016 at 5:59 PM, MCM0313 said:

(Johnny Carson voice) I did not know that. Weird, wild stuff.

Seriously, though, I didn't know that. Thanks for telling me.

I learned of it when some friends and I did a Knicks/Rangers doubleheader in the '80s.  We had a tour of the Garden between games and had the Rangers' history explained to us.  

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

On July 17, 2016 at 9:19 PM, BrandMooreArt said:

they wanted to stay away from anything they felt was cliche'. buffalo, lightning, etc. in doing so, they steered themselves away from mascots and imagery that sparks the imagination (and strong cognitive connections) and drove the identity into a contrived mess of shape and color. if i'm picking one identity in sports as the worst, its easily OKC

But um…

image.jpeg

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

On July 17, 2016 at 10:19 PM, BrandMooreArt said:

they wanted to stay away from anything they felt was cliche'. buffalo, lightning, etc. in doing so, they steered themselves away from mascots and imagery that sparks the imagination (and strong cognitive connections) and drove the identity into a contrived mess of shape and color. if i'm picking one identity in sports as the worst, its easily OKC

In addition to @Chawls's post...

Also, thunder is (basically) lightning. Lightning causes thunder. Thunder is the sound of lightning.

Like rebellious teenagers, they became what they set out to avoid. Except they look really boring.

1 hour ago, Chawls said:

But um…

image.jpeg

Fun fact: He sat on me in front of 15,000 people. 

image.png 

"Okay, Mr. OKC, you obviously have never been to Louisville."

Archived