What will Under Armour do at Wisconsin?

PackerBadger

I believe there was an article where Alvarez said that they would obviously stay traditional, but that UA was going to try and do something that distinguished them a little more from Nebraska and Indiana.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

On Fanatics, new UA Wisconsin merchandise has small white "slants" in the traditional red-white-red striping pattern, effectively creating an arrow.  One shirt says "Forever Forward".  Wonder if the stripes on the uniforms will include this small change.

http://www.fanatics.com/COLLEGE_Wisconsin_Badgers_Mens/Wisconsin_Badgers_Under_Armour_2016_On-Field_Tech_Performance_T-Shirt_-_White

http://www.fanatics.com/COLLEGE_Wisconsin_Badgers_Mens/Wisconsin_Badgers_Under_Armour_2016_On-Field_Tech_Performance_T-Shirt_-_Red

I had not seen that.  I would not say I want it incorporated into any uniforms, but on workout/fan gear, it's not bad.  But the football jersey is totally set up for it with the two sleeve stripes.  It would incorporate this UA-inspiried (or at least, started with the UA arrival) gimmick and be (albeit very minor) a departure from the Nebraska look.

I don't love the "Forever Forward" but I do like the subtle arrow in the Football shirt.  It's a nice nod to the state motto ("Forward").  

Ironically, the "Forever Forward" shirt has arrows going in two directions (forward and backward).

I am really disappointed...I thought we'd be seeing team uniforms.

EDIT: I will say on that "Forever Forward" shirt, I love the look of the highlighted "W".  It's reminiscent of what was on the basketball shorts when I arrived at UW.  The Motion W at the time was still essentially a football logo.  And part of me wishes it had stayed that way.  It was clearly designed for a football helmet.

If the W on that shirt can get some use, that would be great...but I am not delusional enough to think the motion-W is going back to football-only.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I can't remember who posted it originally, but I do remember seeing a tweet a day or two before last night's event that confirmed Under Armour was NOT unveiling uniforms during the event and that it was more for the merchandise, gear, etc. 

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

The font on the red one is an odd cross between Aachen (or its close cousin) and the Red Sox.

productImages%2f_2439000%2fff_2439500_fu

. . . not to mention it seems to be confused about which direction forward is.  :P

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

4 hours ago, leopard88 said:

The font on the red one is an odd cross between Aachen (or its close cousin) and the Red Sox.

. . . not to mention it seems to be confused about which direction forward is.  :P

To echo you and OnWis97, I thought that was strange too...but I'm thinking that both jersey sleeves will have the arrow forward, thus both directions are correct (depending on which sleeve it's on).

I like that shirt though, and that W.  And I'm not a Wisconsin fan.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

5 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

I am really disappointed...I thought we'd be seeing team uniforms.

I think it would have been a little silly of them to make a big deal of unveiling new uniforms if there were going to be practically no changes (which is disappointing for some of us).  Everything I've seen so far suggests that the football program (Chryst et al.) isn't really going to change much of anything.  This is a new shirt that is being sold on Fanatics, but it's the same helmet style used since the early 90's:

productImages%2f_2431000%2fff_2431865_fu

5 hours ago, leopard88 said:

Under Armour is using the "Badger" font (a modified version of Aachen), which has been around for at least 15 years.

NCAA_Wisconsin_Badger_Bold_font_preview_

All in all, I've been generally pleased with what I've seen from the switch to Under Armour.  The shade of red appears to be a little darker to me, which was my biggest hope.  I'll probably buy a t-shirt or something to see what it looks like in the flesh.

8557127226_fbd001ef58_n.jpg

18 minutes ago, doctorpeligro said:

Under Armour is using the "Badger" font (a modified version of Aachen), which has been around for at least 15 years.

NCAA_Wisconsin_Badger_Bold_font_preview_

I don't think I've seen/noticed that font before.  I'll have to start paying closer attention.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

5 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

The reason it f goes unnoticed (i think) is because none of the red-sox-y letters are used in the word "WISCONSIN"

That makes sense.  Thanks.

8 hours ago, WSU151 said:

On Fanatics, new UA Wisconsin merchandise has small white "slants" in the traditional red-white-red striping pattern, effectively creating an arrow.  One shirt says "Forever Forward".  Wonder if the stripes on the uniforms will include this small change.

http://www.fanatics.com/COLLEGE_Wisconsin_Badgers_Mens/Wisconsin_Badgers_Under_Armour_2016_On-Field_Tech_Performance_T-Shirt_-_White

http://www.fanatics.com/COLLEGE_Wisconsin_Badgers_Mens/Wisconsin_Badgers_Under_Armour_2016_On-Field_Tech_Performance_T-Shirt_-_Red

Wow...pretty nice selection of UA stuff available already. Way more than I expected this soon.

These are the changes I've noticed so far:

1. Under Armour's shade of red appears to be a darker shade of red, similar to South Carolina's garnet.

2. Perhaps because of the darker red, I haven't found a wordmark on the Under Armour merchandise that has a black drop shadow.  The rebrand (around 2002?) gave the primary wordmarks drop shadows to mimic the drop shadow on the Motion W:

2338_wisconsin_badgers-wordmark-2002.png

3. The new vertically arched wordmark has all the letters being the same height:

productImages%2f_2439000%2fff_2439563_fu

The old vertically arched wordmark had oversized bookending "W" and "N":

9847_wisconsin_badgers-wordmark-2002.png

Any other changes y'all have noticed?

18 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

That red doesn't seem to be near as dark as SC's garnet.. Plus, I'd imagine they would change the official pantone if they're going to make a deliberate move like this..

I'm sure you're right, but I can only go by what I see on the Fanatics website.  It depends on the item, I suppose.

productImages%2f_2439000%2fff_2439576_fuproductImages%2f_2439000%2fff_2439489_fu

Either way, it appears be darker than what we were using during the Reebok/Adidas era, which is a good thing.

If there is a change to the Pantone, I don't think we would hear about it right away.

As much as colors are subjective, one would think a team wearing "cardinal" would pick a darker pantone than a team wearing "scarlet", yet Wisconsin and Nebraska have the exact same color.. Also, under Adidas, the red was called "power red" and is what I'd call a cross between what I consider to be cardinal and what I consider to be scarlet.. Basically, Wisconsin actually used a red darker than most "scarlets".. Either way, I hope you're right, and I hope they can finally distinguish themselves appropriately.

On 7/1/2016 at 11:04 PM, doctorpeligro said:

2338_wisconsin_badgers-wordmark-2002.png

Since none of the letters in "Wisconsin" have spurs/serifs/extended bars, these almost look like two different fonts.

https://www.facebook.com/wisconsinmenshockey/photos/a.143497462354620.17786.142334369137596/1071628149541542/?type=3&theater

Wisconsin Men's Hockey's FB page just changed its profile pic to a diaganol "Wisconsin."  I suspect it's a nod to the jersey.  To no surprise it looks like the essence of the jersey will be the same.

The font, matching what's already been shown in this thread, is thicker and curvier.  The "W" now has three serifs instead of two. Only us weirdos will consider this a change, assuming no shenanigans with the sleeves or adding black somewhere.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived