Rigged: Discussions on Fixing in Sports

sc49erfan15

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

This is now a wrestling thread?  Cool.  Let's acknowledge the Montreal Screwjob as the biggest rigging in sports and entertainment history.  I mean sh t - it's a damn TV show, and the producer switched the script on one of the lead actors just to kill him off without him or anyone else even seeing it coming!  It'd be like if John Snow was standing over Ramsay Bolton, ready to drive Longclaw right through his heart, then George RR Martin runs out and legit slits Kit Harrington's throat.

I wouldn't put it past him. 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, rams80 said:

From tonight

CLE 21-25 FTM

GS 10-13 FTM

You may not be able to rig a championship, but you can sure grease the skids.

Did you watch the game? GSW spent all game trying to hit threes. If you don't play inside, you're far less likely to get fouls. 

It's like expecting PI on a running play. The Warriors lived and died by the three in games 5-7. 

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

3 hours ago, The Six said:

Wrestling is a sport and wrestlers are athletes. 

Pro wrestling is a show, an act, NOT a sport.

Wrestlers are actors, performers, NOT athletes.

However, it IS okay to enjoy wrestling and at the same time acknowledge it's fake.

6uXNWAo.png

13 hours ago, Needschat said:

Supposed sports fan have been saying for years that NASCAR is rigged.  Yeah, so Dale Earnhardt Jr has 10 championships, amiright?

You can't rig major professional sports in this day and age.  Too many people watching, too much video watchers.  

The NASCAR issue is that we've seen the lack of pit rules enforcement or lack of speed timing was part of their issues earlier this decade. 

And until they went to electronic fuel injection, they still had a problem. The templates still get messed with and the NASCAR rulebook is not published, so then public never knows all the rules.

On 6/18/2016 at 4:52 PM, Bucfan56 said:

Honestly, the lesson that can be learned from all this "rigged" talk about this series is to just ignore basketball fans and ignore the outside coverage, because it's all unequivocally terrible. Basketball is covered in hands down the dumbest possible manner where every single thing is a controversary, and every moment is a life altering sky is falling moment. One minute a team is in dire trouble, and the next they're unbeatable, and this changes game to game if not minute to minute. That's why I think a large chunk of NBA fans are hands down the dumbest group of fans in any sport. It's hard not to be when the way the sport is covered is basically a non stop overreaction to everything. 

This basketball forum I post on is an example of that. One day, they post threads on how LeBron's legacy is ruined, and the next day, they post LeBron>>>Jordan threads. It's crazy. I do like the fact that they talk about the history of the game, though. That's why I am on there. 

16 hours ago, Lights Out said:

Don't forget the '95 World Series, where (ironically) the Braves' pitchers got a laughable strike zone. Maddux, Glavine and Smoltz were getting handed strikes on obvious balls. Game 6 with Glavine on the mound was particularly egregious

That's what I say when they whine about that Livan Hernandez game. I think those Brave teams lived on generous strike zones at times. 

7 hours ago, Magnus said:

I think it best for me to avoid making any comments in these threads. I think we all know what I would say about the NBA and NHL.

yet you just effectively made a comment.  You're not good at message boarding.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

6 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Did you watch the game? GSW spent all game trying to hit threes. If you don't play inside, you're far less likely to get fouls. 

It's like expecting PI on a running play. The Warriors lived and died by the three in games 5-7. 

Yes.  The refs were bad in general, but kind of inconsistent on what they'd allow on defense.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm sorry, but if you're one of those who seriously think the NBA is rigged and all these refs are blowing calls to benefit league ratings or to screw over a less-popular fanbase, then why are you even a fan?

Don't watch if you can't tolerate NBA refs and their "bull$hit calls". Nothing has ever and will never change. Find another sport to enjoy. In fact, go back to WWE where the refs never get called out.

6uXNWAo.png

19 minutes ago, Cujo said:

I'm sorry, but if you're one of those who seriously think the NBA is rigged and all these refs are blowing calls to benefit league ratings or to screw over a less-popular fanbase, then why are you even a fan?

Don't watch if you can't NBA refs and their "bull$hit calls". Nothing has ever and will never change. Find another sport to enjoy. In fact, go back to WWE where the refs never get called out.

I don't really cheer for any one NBA team.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

33 minutes ago, rams80 said:

I don't really cheer for any one NBA team.

I never said you had to have a favorite team.

But if you are like me and casually follow the playoffs, yet you can't handle the refs, then why ya watching? Questionable calls have been going on since the dawn of time.

Like those who get off on chanting "refs, you suck!" at the games -- you do know you're watching an NBA event, right? idiot?

6uXNWAo.png

28 minutes ago, Cujo said:

I never said you had to have a favorite team.

But if you are like me and casually follow the playoffs, yet you can't handle the refs, then why ya watching? Questionable calls have been going on since the dawn of time.

Like those who get off on chanting "refs, you suck!" at the games -- you do know you're watching an NBA event, right? idiot?

It's not that I can't handle the refs, it's that maybe we should expect a better standard of officiating.

Today, we are all otaku.

3 minutes ago, rams80 said:

It's not that I can't handle the refs, it's that maybe we should expect a better standard of officiating.

Go on. Let's hear your grand proposal then....

NBA officiating has never bothered me because I know before I sit down to watch that 100% of NBA calls are subject to the human eye. Of course, we all expect the refs to use their best judgment and get the call right, and it's not like refs are out there wanting to blow calls, have beers thrown at them and lose their job. 

Nobody can be perfect. It's simply a part of the sport. Basketball's not like baseball, where almost every call can be solved by technology.

6uXNWAo.png

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

yet you just effectively made a comment.  You're not good at message boarding.

Ehh...human nature. Had to say something. This was about as minimal as I could come up with.

1 hour ago, rams80 said:

I don't think anybody  disagrees with that.  I don't think there's a single league that thinks they can't do better, even if they're not willing to publicly throw their officials under the bus.  This is why the NFL is constantly tinkering with its rules, why baseball is integrating replay, and why FIFA is experimenting with goal line technology. 

Officiating will never be perfect.  There will always be give-and-take between the simple fact that human beings standing on the field can't always catch everything in real time, and the other simple fact that technological intervention slows down the flow of every game and has problems of its own.

Officiating is incredibly difficult, and technology doesn't always make it easier.  After all, the NFL thought they could seamlessly replace their refs, but quickly learned the truth:

Lance-Easley-fali-mary-01-13-15.png

23 hours ago, rams80 said:

From tonight

CLE 21-25 FTM

GS 10-13 FTM

You may not be able to rig a championship, but you can sure grease the skids.

because it couldn't have been the Warriors not being able to make a shot in the last 4 minutes. you are also going to naturally get less free throws when you are a jump shooting team and not a driving team like the cavs. 

14 minutes ago, dont care said:

because it couldn't have been the Warriors not being able to make a shot in the last 4 minutes. you are also going to naturally get less free throws when you are a jump shooting team and not a driving team like the cavs. 

You're also going to stop driving when you're smaller and Cleveland slaps you silly without a whistle being blown.

Today, we are all otaku.

35 minutes ago, rams80 said:

You're also going to stop driving when you're smaller and Cleveland slaps you silly without a whistle being blown.

The Warriors were allowed to set illegal screens, hook and grab and shove and hit people in the nuts with no consequences all year long. In fact, they've been one of the dirtiest teams in the league for years.

They also got plenty of home cooking in Game 7, such as Curry flopping on JR Smith, and Draymond getting rewarded with free throws for the Durant rip-through move (something the league promised it would stop doing this year).

The reality is that LeBron is amazing and the Warriors choked. End of story.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Archived