Rigged: Discussions on Fixing in Sports

sc49erfan15

#rigged

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't believe things are rigged, but I think that when officiating isn't ship-shape, if opens the floodgates/Pandora's box.

Remember that Lions-Cowboys playoff game a few years ago when they picked up the flag? Social media erupted with how the NFL wanted Cowboys-Packers at Lambeau the following week.

Officiating at times, when shaky, can really set a lot of fans ablaze with conspiracy theories.

1 hour ago, SabresRule7361 said:

I don't believe things are rigged, but I think that when officiating isn't ship-shape, if opens the floodgates/Pandora's box.

Remember that Lions-Cowboys playoff game a few years ago when they picked up the flag? Social media erupted with how the NFL wanted Cowboys-Packers at Lambeau the following week.

Officiating at times, when shaky, can really set a lot of fans ablaze with conspiracy theories.

Is that real person sitting at the keyboard today, instead of a cartoonish troll!?!?

On 6/19/2016 at 1:32 PM, Lights Out said:

Don't forget the '95 World Series, where (ironically) the Braves' pitchers got a laughable strike zone. Maddux, Glavine and Smoltz were getting handed strikes on obvious balls. Game 6 with Glavine on the mound was particularly egregious. The home-plate umpire (Joe Brinkman) was kneeling down five feet behind the catcher, couldn't see :censored: and was just pulling calls out of his ass. And remember - the AL and NL still had separate umpire crews back then. Brinkman was an AL umpire screwing over his own league's representative. That game and series was a big reason why the league did away with that set-up a couple years later.

Indians still only had one hit in Game 6, and if I recall correctly....not many 3-ball counts.  Even with a large strike zone, you're not going to win many games getting just one hit and not working the count.

The NBA has lost all benefit of the doubt when it comes to the league trying to determine outcomes of games.  Good rule of thumb is...whenever a gambler gets caught and serves punishment, they have nothing further to lose when they expose the inner workings and it's really hard to argue against what they're saying.  Now given, I didn't see any of the NBA Finals, but you can't help but be suspicious of the fact that the TV company that just made a documentary about how a city hasn't won a championship in forever is the same company that's airing the NBA Finals that involves said city....with a hometown player that's twice been given the task of bringing a championship to Cleveland.....against the record-setting defending champions....and doing so in one of the more dramatic ways of doing so (how many times before 2016 has an NBA team come back from down 3-1 in the series and won in 7?).  You'd have to be a blind NBA apologist to not even concede that there's not even an ounce of illegitimacy involved with that.

[insert aliens guy meme]

The Warriors had 4 minutes to make a shot and didn't. That's on them. Not the refs.

There are are way way too many moving parts to fix an entire NBA series. You'd have to be a blind conspiracy lunatic to think different.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I don't watch as much NBA as some others do, but there's only been one instance I can remember where I saw something in a NBA game and thought "the fix is in." That being the no-call on Bryant elbowing Bibby in the 2002 WCF. In retrospect? I think that was more of a case of a star player getting leeway than the refs setting out to actually screw the Kings.

Plus that was a game 6, wasn't it? I'm going off memory. Sacramento could have won game 7 at home and didn't. I don't disagree that the call was terrible because it was. But it was also a close series and the Kings couldn't close out with a significant home court advantage. 

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Only one or two guys on the Kings played with any testicular fortitude that Game 7. Peja flippin air balled a 3 late in the game. I think he admitted that he felt under too much pressure at that moment.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

5 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Plus that was a game 6, wasn't it? I'm going off memory. Sacramento could have won game 7 at home and didn't. I don't disagree that the call was terrible because it was. But it was also a close series and the Kings couldn't close out with a significant home court advantage. 

Plus real gamblers, like Bob Voulgaris know and display (via Twitter) the stats regarding NBA games and the data points to how foul calls slant to the games which Tim Donaghy both worked and bet on.

Donaghy "predicted" the Game 7 officials by knowing who was available and guys cannot work consecutive games.

That Olympic gold medal basketball game in the '70s was fixed so Russia would win - I think that's the most blatant example of rigging that there is. 

Moving parts be damned, the referees were not going to let the US win that game. It was WWE level of silly. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

22 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

That Olympic gold medal basketball game in the '70s was fixed so Russia would win - I think that's the most blatant example of rigging that there is. 

Moving parts be damned, the referees were not going to let the US win that game. It was WWE level of silly. 

But Henry Iba still had the opportunity to win and blew it! Catch the ball.

$hit there were multiple full court passes which the USA had 6'10" Tom McMillen on the inbound. Plus Tom Burelson was shook.

Plus AAU and what was the USOC hated John Wooden so a retired Henry Iba coached a team w/o Bill Walton

Plus AAU and what was the USOC hated John Wooden so a retired Henry Iba coached a team w/o Bill Walton

I wonder why? Could it have been the fact that Sam Gilbert was buying players for UCLA? 

Anybody else think the USA vs. Ecuador Copa America quarterfinal might've been...pre-determined? That match was awful.

If Ecuador had won, Lionel Messi wouldn't have played the USMNT...in the USA...in the Copa America semi-final...

P.S. No doubt about that Gold Medal Match. Congratulations Chile.

1 hour ago, @axpze said:

Anybody else think the USA vs. Ecuador Copa America quarterfinal might've been...pre-determined? That match was awful.

If Ecuador had won, Lionel Messi wouldn't have played the USMNT...in the USA...in the Copa America semi-final...

P.S. No doubt about that Gold Medal Match. Congratulations Chile.

US won the quarterfinal DESPITE the refereeing.  Whenever the US plays against a South or Central American team with a South or Central American referee, the benefit of teh doubt always goes AGAINST the US.  It's been this way since the US men's team has become on the Mexican level.  It's the price of doing "business" in CONCACAF and against CONMEBOL.   

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

On 6/25/2016 at 2:17 PM, ninersdd said:

Only one or two guys on the Kings played with any testicular fortitude that Game 7. Peja flippin air balled a 3 late in the game. I think he admitted that he felt under too much pressure at that moment.

At the time, Bill Simmons said something along the lines of how everyone on the Kings team but Bibby looked scared to death in that series. 

I've been reading the Twitter-verse, and it appears there are people saying yesterday's Sonoma NASCAR race was fixed, because Denny Hamlin allowed Tony Stewart to get inside on turn 11.  

The black helicopters are out in full force my friends. 

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

1 hour ago, Needschat said:

I've been reading the Twitter-verse, and it appears there are people saying yesterday's Sonoma NASCAR race was fixed, because Denny Hamlin allowed Tony Stewart to get inside on turn 11.  

Because he didn't lock up his right front or anything, and if that truly is the case why pass him earlier that lap moving him out of the way and instead just stay behind

1 hour ago, Needschat said:

I don't think outright fixing in NASCAR though I do believe in over politeness from drivers on occasion - like Jr's Daytona victory.  With 20 laps left or whatever, perhaps some guys worked to rule & let Jr dictate the finish.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

1 minute ago, 2001mark said:

I don't think outright fixing in NASCAR though I do believe in over politeness from drivers on occasion - like Jr's Daytona victory.  With 20 laps left or whatever, perhaps some guys worked to rule & let Jr dictate the finish.

Or they worked with Jr because he is one of the best restricted plate racers with one of the best cars and new if they worked with him they would move forward, and then once he was in front pulling out meant being shuffled to the rear

Archived