AHL Tucson redesign

jay_fs_designs

Okay so I guess everyone has seen the new AHL team - the Tucson Roadrunners - and has an opinion on it. Personally I am not a fan. I was hoping for a fresh new look. The logo looks so 70s style and thats okay if a team has been around since then but this is a new team that needs a new look. The name is alright I guess but I am going a different way here. My name choice: Tucson Prairie Wolves. Goes well with the big brother, the Coyote and fits the location. So here is what I would have liked them to look. I'll get started with the main logo:

prairiewolves41.png

I that secondary, and the primary. Imo, this doesn't have that vibe that a logo has, it seems way too simple. I would at least have the wolf moving, like this: 

other than that, great job!

image.gif

"This is our f*****g city. And nobody is going to dictate our freedom. Stay strong."—David Ortiz 

#34ever

I like don't mind that they went with Roadrunners. What I mind is that they used their in-house design guys to produce a sub-par logo that honors another city's hockey heritage, all because they were too cheap to spend the money to create something modern.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

On 20.6.2016 at 2:02 AM, BostonStrong13 said:

I that secondary, and the primary. Imo, this doesn't have that vibe that a logo has, it seems way too simple. I would at least have the wolf moving, like this: 

other than that, great job!

image.gif

I was thinking about using this exact one but decided it would be too much of copy. Would have looked like this:

prairiewolves31.png

Everything looks great to me but one thing; the name Prairie Wolves. Prairie is better suited for a team in Nebraska, Kansas, not a team smack dab in themiddle of the Sonoran desert. How about the local Grey Wolf instead? 

DLWatt.png

1 hour ago, jay_fs_designs said:

I was thinking about using this exact one but decided it would be too much of copy. Would have looked like this:

prairiewolves31.png

I understand, but what I mean is make the wolf moving, it dosent need to be a Coyotes ripoff, but even the wolf just moving down that little hill, or jumping to the other side. Other than that it looks great, especially the jerseys.

"This is our f*****g city. And nobody is going to dictate our freedom. Stay strong."—David Ortiz 

#34ever

I like the leaping wolf roundel better, it actually feels like a sports logo. Your current logo feels like the tourism or chamber of commerce kicked it out.

To echo what @DL Watt said, Tucson isn't on a prarie, if anything, it's a high-desert valley. Prarie Wolves, as a name would be scorned by locals. Your color scheme wouldn't go with Grey Wolves, but that or Lobos is a better naming option.

I really do like the uniform design though. I wish the 'Yotes were wearing those with their logos on them.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

thanks everyone for the feedback. about the name... as I'm from Germany I don't really know much about US geography. I only did a brief research on wikipedia and it said that there are wolves in Arizona. I also seen a concept for Tucson Prairiedogs and thought Prairie Wolves is a cool name...

To pick up what BeerGuyJordan said

16 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

I really do like the uniform design though. I wish the 'Yotes were wearing those with their logos on them.

I'll update the concept and put the Coyotes identity on, just to see how it would work for them

13 hours ago, suplauren said:

Prairie Wolves would not work at all in Tucson, fyi. It's not a prairie here and we don't have wolves.

Wrong, they aren't incredibly common, but the Grey wolf/Mexican wolf are part of the local fauna.

5 hours ago, jay_fs_designs said:

so here's what the jerseys look like with Coyotes logos. 

coyotes1.png

Looks great. A few suggestions. On the home and away, I would use the sand paw print with A. All of the shoulder marks should be moved up, a bit, so they aren't crowding the border. A lot of the local fans do like the kachina/original logo, and I think it would look great on that alternate.

Even without those changes, I would see this as a step up from what they're currently wearing.

22 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

Wrong, they aren't incredibly common, but the Grey wolf/Mexican wolf are part of the local fauna.

On 6/22/2016 at 5:32 AM, jay_fs_designs said:

thanks everyone for the feedback. about the name... as I'm from Germany I don't really know much about US geography. I only did a brief research on wikipedia and it said that there are wolves in Arizona. I also seen a concept for Tucson Prairiedogs and thought Prairie Wolves is a cool name...

Not that Prairie Wolves is a bad name, it just doesn't work for Tucson. Desert Wolves could work, but honestly, wolves are not around here. Even Mexican Gray Wolves. Here's their range in AZ: http://mexicanwolfeis.org/about/range/ That's about 200 miles from Tucson. I think the best way to adapt this identity to make it relevant would be to change it to Desert Dogs, since we do have plenty of coyotes in city limits, along with 2 types of foxes on the outskirts of town. 

17 hours ago, suplauren said:

Not that Prairie Wolves is a bad name, it just doesn't work for Tucson. Desert Wolves could work, but honestly, wolves are not around here. Even Mexican Gray Wolves. Here's their range in AZ: http://mexicanwolfeis.org/about/range/ That's about 200 miles from Tucson. I think the best way to adapt this identity to make it relevant would be to change it to Desert Dogs, since we do have plenty of coyotes in city limits, along with 2 types of foxes on the outskirts of town. 

The error is on me for lazy/unclear writing. I was busy and didn't differentiate. I couldn't remember if the mexican wolf was a subspecies of the gray, or the other way around. Mexican wolves (a subspeces of the gray wolf) are no longer part of Tucson's local wildlife. Gray wolves are, though. I saw one in Marana just a couple of years ago.

IMO, Desert Dogs is a subpar identity.

Archived