Las Vegas NHL Expansion

ShinyHubCaps

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, hockey week said:

In a word: 

150px-Clb_Alternate.png

It's been a very confusing name that has involved a lot of explaining until just recently. I'm not even convinced that most people know what the name is all about. 

The bug, the union uniforms, there was even talk of a Chief Blue Jacket in the Ohio area in those early years. It was yellow jackets...except not.

I'm a huge fan of the team, and I still don't think their identity is very good. Like Minnesota, it's decent IN SPITE OF the name, not because of it.

Given the Ohio flag crest, the kepi and cannon logos, and the overall aesthetic of both the primary and third uniforms, I'd say the name is explicitly referring to the Union Soldiers. If it wasn't clear when the team debuted, it certainly became clear as time went on (once they got over the need for a silly cartoon mascot dressed like a Union Soldier). 

It's a good name, and the identity has really improved since the team's inaugural set. It could be better, but it's not bad at all. I wouldn't put it on the same level as "Wild."

Here's my real quick and dirty stab at this. 

My grievances with the logos as they are: 

• The keyline on the swords logo. Just an obvious mistake
  • The helmet reads as a Spartan helmet, not a knight helmet
  • The black. We've got enough black in the NHL. 
  • The coherence of the logoset. The primary and secondary look like they were options from two different logosets that Foley decided should be together. 

My fix: 

bt5R58L.png

The helmet plume is just a placeholder for now. It's a quick edit of the former Rutgers knight logo plume. It adds that right to left motion that many logos have and breaks out of the shield, creating a dynamic shape. 

18 minutes ago, mcrosby said:

• The coherence of the logoset. The primary and secondary look like they were options from two different logosets that Foley decided should be together. 

My fix: 

bt5R58L.png

The helmet plume is just a placeholder for now. It's a quick edit of the former Rutgers knight logo plume. It adds that right to left motion that many logos have and breaks out of the shield, creating a dynamic shape. 

Not a fan of the star on the helmet, but I like the idea of using red on the plume. Ridiculous that the primary logo and wordmark don't include one of the team's colors. And before someone mentions the Steelers, there's a reason the blue and red aren't really 'team colors' as the logo was co-opted from another source originally in its entirety and then adapted.

So many things with this team seem to just reek of ineptitude. Really a shame.

I like  it for the most part. 

That grey reads as a muddy teal & no one can say otherwise. The lack  of red on the primsry is stupid. The secondary also feels rushed, and  the  outline  used is horrible. 

Also, Vegas? Why? I'm  gonna call them the Nevada Golden Knights. Rolls off the tongue a lot easier.

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

3 hours ago, coltravesty said:

"The Knights are Golden, Vegas Golden Knights, Stanley Cup champions!"

Stanley Cup Final on NBC, Mike Emrick:

"The night has finally come, it´s time to celebrate in the locker room, so bring out the champagne, time for a Golden shower! "

6 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Kinda thought the little smiley thing in my post would indicate that I wasn't being entirely serious. B)

Haha yes yes of course. I go for same effect with this guy :P. Different dialect, I suppose. 

5 hours ago, hockey week said:

Ok, so what's the worst name in the league:

Golden Knights OR Blue Jackets?

Please, putting the Blue Jackets ahead of teams like the "Wild" in terms of worst name in the league is beyond reason.

6 hours ago, DG_Now said:

The team not having jerseys before Christmas means they don't think ahead, which means they won't draft well, they won't scout well, and they won't play well.

The team just previewed its entire six-year run in Vegas: :censored: up, apologize for the :censored: up, promise to do better, and then :censored: up again.

You only get one bite at the expansion team fever apple, and the Christmas shopping season was right there. It's a monumental screw up. This team is blowing it as much as they possibly can, right out of the gate.

the logo was finalized 2 weeks ago sir. 

11 hours ago, DG_Now said:

cut.jpg

This whole thing reminds me of 1991-1993 WCW. They try so hard, but it's just so sad.

I know I'm about 10-12 hours behind everyone, but my $.02 anyway.

1.  Just Vegas? Ugh.

2.  I assume this is supposed to be a star, but I keep wanting to sing "Onward, Christian Soldiers."

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

6 hours ago, mcrosby said:

My fix: 

bt5R58L.png

The logo already reminded me of Nova from Marvel, but I think adding the secondary to the helmet would REALLY take it to the next level of similarity. The plume would be a great addition though, would love to see them incorporate that at some point.

Nova1adigranov.jpg

I get an ever-so-slight Moltar vibe from the logo:

avatars-000163718733-4gerjy-t500x500.jpg

As to worcat and Travesty chiding me for expecting everything to be ready by Christmas: come on, some sort of knight-themed name was tabbed for this team since well before the expansion was even announced. What could have taken so long? This whole exercise is just about the caprices of one man. It's not like they had to focus-group everything to death here. The Winnipeg Jets were the exact opposite of this, where ownership was dead-set on calling themselves one thing but the market demanded something else, and they still got their crap together much faster and much less embarrassingly than this foregone conclusion. This team blows. Expansion was a mistake.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

9 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

There's no way the new Vegas team would use a graphite colored home jersey...

Just curious, but why in your opinion wouldn't they consider it?  There's too many black jerseys, Nashville has the gold home sweater, why not be the first with graphite?

11 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

And I thought naming them the "Golden Knights" was bad. Not even using the city's actual name is bad.

You already know MOST of the media are just going to call them Las Vegas anyways. So, why not call them Las Vegas?

This isn't a state name, a region (Gold State, New England, Carolina), and it's not a recognized geographic area (Tampa Bay). It's the nickname of the city.

Would you like Queen City Bengals?

Well to be honest "Carolina" is not a State or Region either. The Panthers and Hurricanes would need to be the "North Carolina Hurricanes" or "The Carolina's Hurricanes" if your going to nitpick.

I think people use Vegas when talking about Las Vegas pretty regularly so I don't think it's horrible.

Uninspired Logos maybe, but not completely horrible.

6 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Given the Ohio flag crest, the kepi and cannon logos, and the overall aesthetic of both the primary and third uniforms, I'd say the name is explicitly referring to the Union Soldiers. If it wasn't clear when the team debuted, it certainly became clear as time went on (once they got over the need for a silly cartoon mascot dressed like a Union Soldier). 

It's a good name, and the identity has really improved since the team's inaugural set. It could be better, but it's not bad at all. I wouldn't put it on the same level as "Wild."

It's gotten better once they decided to actually embrace the Civil War aspect of their nickname. The cannon in the arena is a no-brainer, but that didn't show up until year 8 of the franchise. For some reason they were afraid to go that route at the outset of the franchise and instead went with the tenuous connection of a yellow jacket wearing a blue jacket logo that only served to confuse the hell out of people and required an advance history degree to explain the nickname. Now though it's easy: "Union soldiers in the Civil War. Their blue jackets were made in Columbus."

I love the current primary logo, and I miss the Kepi hat logo every game. The cannon logo is fine for what it does for the alternates, but looks out of place on the home and roads because it was never designed to go with the primary or be used in an application that small. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived