Jump to content

Las Vegas NHL Expansion


ShinyHubCaps
 Share

Recommended Posts

45 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Another thing that's similar to saying "Vegas" in place of Las Vegas is "Indy" for Indianapolis. There's a team called the Indy Fuel. They play in the ECHL. Do not do as the ECHL does.

Another team from that city that follows that dubious naming practice is the NASL's Indy Eleven. (I guess they can never get a red card.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's really disheartening to see so many people here and on Facebook wishing that this franchise :censored: the bed and relocate or fold. I for one like the logo, I kinda wish they would find a consistent color scheme for it and I'm not a fan of the grey however I will be excited to go to one of their games as Vegas is close enough to go to a game there. I'm excited to see a new franchise in the league I love and I hate seeing people stomp on the idea of growing the game we love to new markets.

 

I understand people are upset about Quebec or Hartford or Seattle not getting a franchise but frankly Quebec and Hartford have no chance. Both being eastern conference markets hurts them immediately. Hartford is a great AHL city but too small for the NHL imo. Seattle didn't do the necessary work to bid for a franchise so obviously rule them out. Las Vegas earned the right to have this team and I want them to flourish and build their brand. 

 

These "so called hockey fans" need to encourage the growth of the game and support this new franchise over their petty complaints about their preferred city not getting a team. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's not so much being bitter about other markets not getting teams, it's more about the overall history of some of these markets. Miami, Phoenix, Raleigh, Nashville, and Atlanta are all markets that have struggled immensely at times (so bad for Atlanta that it was fatal), and all of those markets, when you look at history, are head and shoulders above Las Vegas in terms of safety. 

 

It's not bitterness that Vegas got a team over other markets that may or may not have deserved a team. It's bitterness over the NHL continuously making AWFUL decisions on where to locate new teams, and learning absolutely nothing from their past. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, CityOfWalrus said:

I understand people are upset about Quebec or Hartford or Seattle not getting a franchise but frankly Quebec and Hartford have no chance. Both being eastern conference markets hurts them immediately. Hartford is a great AHL city but too small for the NHL imo. Seattle didn't do the necessary work to bid for a franchise so obviously rule them out. Las Vegas earned the right to have this team and I want them to flourish and build their brand. 

 

These "so called hockey fans" need to encourage the growth of the game and support this new franchise over their petty complaints about their preferred city not getting a team. 

 

I don't think you understand a thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why does it never occur to anyone that The Game still very much needs to be Grown in places like New England, Quebec, and the Midwest? If you think hockey interest is at its saturation point within traditional, populated, frozen-bodies-of-water regions of the continent, you're either willfully delusional or the Nashville Predators are your blueprint for every hockey market in America.

 

I don't know if you guys have once-overed some NHL rosters lately but there's a serious paucity of, how you say, names that end in -ault and -ier. Is this of no concern to anyone because we honestly think Broward County is gonna start crapping out hockey players instead?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, CityOfWalrus said:

It's really disheartening to see so many people here and on Facebook wishing that this franchise :censored: the bed and relocate or fold.

I have no real issue with them being a new NHL franchise.  That the NHL had 2 fewer teams in the west bothered me to no end, it's bush.  Now I'd love to see them get into Seattle but apparently Seattle doesn't want them enough.  Kansas City?  That'd be ok I guess.  Houston?  Sure why not.  

I just think it's idiotic of the Golden Knights' owner trying to convey to the world that (Las) Vegas is about military values & geological rock colouration.  They had this one chance & failed.  Now the NBA will probably swoop in next & brand themselves with more excitement & pizzazz - you know, like Las f'ing Vegas!

Not that I was expecting much less I suppose from the league with Metropolitan & Atlantic division misnomers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Even the ECHL's Wrnglers, the XFL's Outlaws and the PCL's 51's had the sense to have Las Vegas in the name not just Vegas.

 

My issue with the Las Vegas Golden Knights is the involvement of the Maloof family in the ownership group.  Over the past decade anything those brothers have had their hands in has turned to crap and they have a history and not a good one.  There's a reason David Stern wanted them out of the NBA ownership ranks.  I really don't see what good they bring to the mix and that Bettman was involved in getting them there is more evidence of questionble judgment on his part.  Now I know the Maloof's only own 15% of the team right now but that's how they got started with the NBA's Kings and we all saw what a disaster that became.  I don't hope they fail but I do hope they ditch the Maloof's. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, The Giant Pacific Octopus said:

I like the logo but isn't that a Spartan's helmet?

 

http://www.darkknightarmoury.com/images/Product/large/881026.png

 

Just more fuel for Army's inevitable lawsuit. West Point uses Athena's helmet in their logo because Athena is a goddess of wisdom, righteous conflict, heroic endeavors, and all that good stuff. It's a perfect connection for a school attached to a military branch of a country that has had a hard-on for Ancient Greece since the beginning. "Vegas" used primarily black and gold, along with a Knights nickname, along with a Greek-looking helmet, for reasons that I'm sure any judge will find legitimate and unrelated. :rolleyes: 

 

The Ducks rebrand was one thing... that was just colors. This is colors AND subject matter. Honestly, Army needs to sue them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Pabig said:

Awful branding. Why do you use a knight theme? Who thinks about knights when they hear Las Vegas? I think about bright lights, money, Casinos and stuff like that. That could have been an amazing identity if they used sth like Las Vegas Aces or Las Vegas High Rollers or Las Vegas Roulette (The last one is kinda cheesy but it would work). Now they wasted all those opportunities.

Well one DOES see a huge castle when driving into the city from the south (Excalibur)...

IMG_1669.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, CityOfWalrus said:

Oh I don't? Please explain then what I'm so wrong about then. 

 

5 hours ago, the admiral said:

Why does it never occur to anyone that The Game still very much needs to be Grown in places like New England, Quebec, and the Midwest? If you think hockey interest is at its saturation point within traditional, populated, frozen-bodies-of-water regions of the continent, you're either willfully delusional or the Nashville Predators are your blueprint for every hockey market in America.

 

I don't know if you guys have once-overed some NHL rosters lately but there's a serious paucity of, how you say, names that end in -ault and -ier. Is this of no concern to anyone because we honestly think Broward County is gonna start crapping out hockey players instead?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Ted Cunningham said:

Wait. That happened in Vegas. Was I not supposed to mention that?

 

Saying that you stayed at a $46 hotel is alright. Saying that you spent the whole week high on crack and banged a couple hookers everyday might be why this catchphrase is so popular.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.