Las Vegas NHL Expansion

ShinyHubCaps

Something I noticed while watching highlights of the Army-Navy game... the West Point cadet uniforms? Black, gold, gray, and red. Where have I seen that color combo before?!?!? Burn this whole damn thing to the ground.

west_point_cadets.jpg?w=1200&h=627&crop=

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, if he wanted to give a subtle tribute to West Point, he could've named them the "Las Vegas Cadets." There's a variety of color schemes that can work with that - red and gold, green and gold, red/white/blue, etc. 

It would've been nice tribute without being over-the-top, or worse yet, rampantly infringing on West Point's copyrights.

9 hours ago, the admiral said:

McCarthy has talked about how there needs to be an NHL Properties department that centrally manages branding for the league's teams: you know, someone to say "no, Tampa Bay Lightning, you can't wear that, you look just like the Maple Leafs" or "no, Tampa Bay Lightning, you can't wear that either, you look just like the L.A. Kings." In this case, without even scratching the surface of infringing on the college and the Army, they'd say "no, Vegas team, you can't wear uniforms inspired by West Point because the Panthers already have uniforms that are sort of inspired by West Point, and, not just that, your division rival Anaheim Ducks also have uniforms that are even more inspired by West Point than the Panthers' are, and also, the Kings also wear black and silver with a shield and have the name of a chess piece." This really is the branding equivalent of Sideshow Bob and the rakes.

Remember how the Lightning had a goof jersey with palm trees in the striping that they showed the players and the entire gag was supposed to be that it was really ugly? That jersey was better than what they ended up going with. 

The branding department would be a branch of the office of the Director of Common Sense. We'd handle stuff like not having 10 NHL games in simultaneous intermission or not holding the opening games of the World Cup on the first weekend of college football or telling the Detroit Red Wings they can't be in the Eastern Conference, or telling teams not to have fake jerseys as a stunt. The league needs a "No" man. Pay me in jerseys. And money. :-) 

Actually, our own Chris Creamer now works for the NHL. Chris, if you're reading this maybe you could put a word in? 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Sure hope no one said anything about his namesake message board dedicating scores of threads to how retarded everyone associated with the league is. I figure they know, and they know.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

6 hours ago, kroywen said:

You know, if he wanted to give a subtle tribute to West Point, he could've named them the "Las Vegas Cadets." There's a variety of color schemes that can work with that - red and gold, green and gold, red/white/blue, etc. 

It would've been nice tribute without being over-the-top, or worse yet, rampantly infringing on West Point's copyrights.

I would go with Las Vegas Desert Knights and use the Vegas star/crossed swords as the primary, with some form of a LV monogram as the alternate mark.

Foley gets his "Knights" name and Army colour scheme, the college and parachute team are happy because they're not using "Golden Knights," and you sidestep the problems with West Point by not using a gold and black Spartan helmet on a shield as a primary. 

That, and the Vegas star with crossed swords is really nice and, with some minor outline tweeakage, could be a modern iconic classic. 

Everyone wins and no one has to worry about trademarks. 

Of course Foley's an idiot, so here we are.

19 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

the Vegas star with crossed swords is really nice

Everyone wins and no one has to worry about trademarks.

Hmm, I think you forgot to carry a 1 here...

15 hours ago, Cosmic said:

Something I noticed while watching highlights of the Army-Navy game... the West Point cadet uniforms? Black, gold, gray, and red. Where have I seen that color combo before?!?!? Burn this whole damn thing to the ground.

west_point_cadets.jpg?w=1200&h=627&crop=

its the Long Grey Line

but this one is better:

so long and thanks for all the fish.

1 hour ago, goalieboy82 said:

its the Long Grey Line

but this one is better:

Maybe Team 32 will be owned by a group of Boeing executives in Seattle and rip off the Air Force Academy...

On 12/12/2016 at 2:14 PM, Gothamite said:

We've seen in the past that broad strokes are all you need for infringement.  Take these two interlocking "SC" logos:

167px-Interlocking_USC_Logo.svg.png                                 240px-USC_baseball_logo.svg.png

These two are different in all the details - the accent colors, the points where they interlock, one is block letters, square ends and hard corners where the other is fluid with serifs.  Yet the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office's administrative tribunal ruled in 2008 that South Carolina could not trademark its logo because of the similarities to Southern California's logo.  A decision which was later upheld by the courts.

All I'm saying is that sometimes all you need for infringement is a big-picture similarity.  Gold ancient helmet on black shield just may be enough to cause headaches for the NHL club.

Then you have the case of Southern California and Santa Clara... where Santa Clara agreed to go by SCU and USC donated a bunch of palm trees for the SCU campus.

VmWIn6B.png

This is his big chance to move to Desert Knights, sell more merch and actually save face. However I think he believes a name change is bad for him when really it'd be heralded as a great move. After a week no one can complain anymore and he'd have a online presence again without such hate.

2 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Does anyone own the trademark to that particular sign/star shape?

The sign itself is owned by Young Electric Sign Company. The design, however, is public domain because the artist requested it so when she gifted it to the city.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Ah, gotcha. I don't think a Vegas star/crossed swords primary would infringe on the Sabres' visual space/branding territory. If the Jets' roundel primary and the Leafs' primary can coexist than the Vegas star as a primary can coexist with the Sabres' logo.

Ultimately this is all polishing a turd. This team shouldn't exist, and if it must exist it shouldn't have this identity package. I'm just saying the Vegas star/swords logo is probably the best primary option if we have to have the Las Vegas Something Knights.

I'm inclined to disagree, because without the Army/school-infringing knight helmet logo involved, you're asking a pair of swords making an X to do the heavy lifting for an [adjective] Knights identity while there's already a pair of swords making an X for the team named after a kind of sword. With the Jets and Maple Leafs, the Jets' leaf is a minor design feature compared to the plane and the roundel pointing north, and if the Leafs had said no for some reason, the Jets could have worked around it without a fundamental redesign. Assuming a Sabres objection, you couldn't work around this logo without a fundamental redesign. It wouldn't pass my Department of Common Sense, is all.

Archived