Las Vegas NHL Expansion

ShinyHubCaps

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, the admiral said:

I'm inclined to disagree, because without the Army/school-infringing knight helmet logo involved, you're asking a pair of swords making an X to do the heavy lifting for an [adjective] Knights identity while there's already a pair of swords making an X for the team named after a kind of sword. With the Jets and Maple Leafs, the Jets' leaf is a minor design feature compared to the plane and the roundel pointing north, and if the Leafs had said no for some reason, the Jets could have worked around it without a fundamental redesign. Assuming a Sabres objection, you couldn't work around this logo without a fundamental redesign. It wouldn't pass my Department of Common Sense, is all.

There isn't a single thing about this franchise, including its mere existence, that passes the Department of Common Sense. ;)

But I would agree with you - a pair of swords as the focal point of their identity would be way too close to the Sabres' logo. Even as a minor element within their graphic identity, it's a little too reminiscent of the Sabres, IMO. But it would never, ever work as the primary, if for no other reason than there's already one team using a pair of crossed swords as the focal point of their identity. It'd be like a team other than the Blackhawks using a rendering of an Indian as their primary - too close to make sense.

On 12/11/2016 at 7:02 PM, WavePunter said:

People get Alabama and the Atlanta Braves confused all the time due to similarities, especially when the context would suggest one over the other..

If they're being confused now it was worse back in the mid-90's when Alabama and the Atlanta Braves used the exact same A on their caps.

On 12/12/2016 at 1:04 PM, Ice_Cap said:

This is a league that ok'd the sale of a team in the largest media market in North America to a guy with no money living in a model home. This is par for the course, really :P

You just had to bring that up again didn't you...I was finally just starting to get over that. :lol:

1 hour ago, kroywen said:

It'd be like a team other than the Blackhawks using a rendering of an Indian as their primary - too close to make sense.

Kansas City's franchise tried to do exactly that. They were going to be the Mohawks, not as in the tribe that generally hangs around upstate New York, but MO for Missouri + Jayhawks for Kansas, and wear an Indian head that was for all intents and purposes the same as the Indian Head.

0717101551-00.jpg

The Wirtzes shut that right down, and they became the Kansas City Scouts, who shut themselves right down.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 12/13/2016 at 8:25 AM, kroywen said:

You know, if he wanted to give a subtle tribute to West Point, he could've named them the "Las Vegas Cadets." There's a variety of color schemes that can work with that - red and gold, green and gold, red/white/blue, etc. 

It would've been nice tribute without being over-the-top, or worse yet, rampantly infringing on West Point's copyrights.

A cadet is a specific rank in the military, and it's only given to college students at military academies or the like.  And West Point would probably be all over that moreso than anything else.. Not sure any major league team would want to be known as Cadets.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

There's a drum and bugle corps back east called the Cadets. I don't think West Point ever bothered to go after them. They had a cool North Stars-esque logo when they were based in Garfield, NJ:

NzzX60PNK3KWCFEdZY-0NPMT7SD11YnVEnZQb5zo

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 12/13/2016 at 10:16 AM, McCarthy said:

Remember how the Lightning had a goof jersey with palm trees in the striping that they showed the players and the entire gag was supposed to be that it was really ugly? That jersey was better than what they ended up going with. 

The branding department would be a branch of the office of the Director of Common Sense. We'd handle stuff like not having 10 NHL games in simultaneous intermission or not holding the opening games of the World Cup on the first weekend of college football or telling the Detroit Red Wings they can't be in the Eastern Conference, or telling teams not to have fake jerseys as a stunt. The league needs a "No" man. Pay me in jerseys. And money. :-) 

Actually, our own Chris Creamer now works for the NHL. Chris, if you're reading this maybe you could put a word in? 

On 12/13/2016 at 0:25 PM, the admiral said:

what since when

Since September, but during the entirety of my time with the league I've never once stepped foot in the league offices -- needless to say I've little influence in matters such as this! 

On 12/13/2016 at 2:37 PM, the admiral said:

Sure hope no one said anything about his namesake message board dedicating scores of threads to how retarded everyone associated with the league is. I figure they know, and they know.

Oh they're very aware of the boards and the site! I made sure that nothing related to the site would be effected (affected?) by my deal with the league. Business as usual here as far as I'm concerned.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Kansas City's franchise tried to do exactly that. They were going to be the Mohawks, not as in the tribe that generally hangs around upstate New York, but MO for Missouri + Jayhawks for Kansas, and wear an Indian head that was for all intents and purposes the same as the Indian Head.

They announced "Mo-Hawks" (with the hyphen) as the name they wanted in 1972 almost immediately after getting the team -- it was also the name (without the hyphen) of Kansas City's USHL team in the 60s. A month later they dropped that idea when the Black Hawks raised an eyebrow, KC said they would respect Chicago's wishes since they had supported the entry of their team into the NHL.

Scouts wasn't announced as the replacement name for another year.

Cx-cc_zUQAAbNI7.jpg  

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

The execution and imagery plays a large role in the mark.. They could get away with the "vegas star sign" crossed swords logo imo, because it's a logo based on the vegas star sign, not crossed swords.. Plus, the buccaneers and raiders both make it work. Then you've also got letters in ovals (packers, 49ers, jets), or just dark green ovals (packers, jets), or horns (vikings, rams), etc.. I know it's different with a football helmet logo than a hockey crest, but I think the point still stands.. Sparky's version of the vegas star with sword was better though, and would eliminate a small portion of the issue as well..

On 12/14/2016 at 5:57 PM, Thomas said:

I wish Creamer would get the gig as the dude that hands over the Cup to the Champs. I am so tired of the booing each year. 

And then at least someone from Toronto would get to touch the Cup in the next 50 years.

;)

Only the next 50?

10 hours ago, WavePunter said:

Sparky's version of the vegas star with sword was better though, and would eliminate a small portion of the issue as well..

Thanks WavePunter. I photoshopped this image up over a year ago in my Las Vegas Knights thread...

lvneonsign2.jpg

It just seemed like the simplest, most effective way visually, to tie a Knights theme in with the most familiar symbol of Las Vegas.

Over the while, I've done several "helmet" logos, but I always kept the sword-star as my secondary logo...

gk%2006.jpg

I think the single sword version better keeps the integrity of the Las Vegas sign star and, as WavePunter said, wouldn't clash with the crossed-sword idea of the Sabres' logo.

Archived