Las Vegas NHL Expansion

ShinyHubCaps

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, RonaldGrump said:

Whatever name this new NHL team in Las Vegas takes, they will be a HUGE success on and off the ice. My good friend Gary Bettman was right to tell those Quebecor losers "You're fired!"

RonaldGrump is a poster to watch in 2016.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Las Vegas Express - Vegas originated as a rest stop, halfway between LA and Salt Lake City. The nickname would pay homage to the railroads and imply fast paced hockey play.

Las Vegas Bandits - Var. of Outlaws

Las Vegas Vultures - If the NHL can field teams named such as the Ducks, Penguins, etc. Why not??

I agree with other members that Vipers  & Scorpions are good suggestions too.

I think the Las Vegas Knights and Los Angeles Kings could survive in the same division with similar medieval-era nicknames as long as LV's branding differentiated from LA's.  If Foley can't get Black Knights or Knights, maybe Lancers would work.

"Here are your Las Vegas Lancers!"

Maybe the logo could be a mounted knight (with a cowboy hat :)), a shield and lance. 

- No Pro team of the big 4 uses Lancers

- Only Six colleges has Lancers has their nickname.

Not sure it would matter, but one USHL team does use Lancers (Omaha).

I know Foley is pretty much set on black, gold and silver but if he is open to color scheme suggestions, I'd like to see maybe a Midnight Blue and Vegas Gold with a silver trim.  

Tygers09 - Las Vegas Express might work. Another name I thought was the Las Vegas Locomotives, forgetting that there was a United Football League with that name, thought they went by Locos.

If they did choose Locomotives, I'd shorten it to Locs, not locos, but that's just me.  

17 hours ago, Tygers09 said:

Las Vegas Express - Vegas originated as a rest stop, halfway between LA and Salt Lake City. The nickname would pay homage to the railroads and imply fast paced hockey play.

Las Vegas Bandits - Var. of Outlaws

Las Vegas Vultures - If the NHL can field teams named such as the Ducks, Penguins, etc. Why not??

I agree with other members that Vipers  & Scorpions are good suggestions too.

Bandits is variation of outlaws, plus clever homage to slot machines ("one-armed bandits").

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

10 minutes ago, sparky chewbarky said:

What concept are you referencing Ice_Cap?

My "Aces" uniforms and alt ideas are hardly "black and white"?...

LVA-01.jpg

book01.jpg

That is a fantastic concept. I love the brown and gold look.

2 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

No matter the name (I still like Knights), a charcoal gray primary jersey might be the way to go.  No one uses that color as primary and you can accent it with other colors to make it work.

Slate could be a great primary, and a good way to avoid black, if they do go with Knights. I'd like to see black, vegas gold and maybe a little magenta, to accent (enough to be adventurous, without being gaudy).

Here's my main gripe, right now, with Knights: In a city synonymous with a vibrant night-life and fast-paced, high-stakes entertainment, and with an owner who has stated that he'd like to capture a little of that feel; Knights in black, gold and grey feels like a very safe, ho-hum way to go. 

For intstance, @sparky chewbarky's Knights package, while well-conceptualized, pales in comparison to his Aces one. I'm not arguing for Aces, here, but hoping for something exciting (but not garish). Something a little unique that captures the essence of Vegas without being offputting to fans (i.e. Nashville's rebrand). A team that feels like they should be using Viva Las Vegas as their goal song. Foley's Black Knights vision doesn't give me that vibe.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Being neon knights...I'm imagining a neon-light-sign logo of a Knight and a dark jersey look with thin bright-colored stripes...kinda like the Blue Jackets but with higher contrast...it would be quirky and unique without being absurd or ultra-modern.

But being NAMED Neon Knights? That's just embarrassing.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Do you think Knights might be too generic to actually copyright? Maybe it's not very defensible, and therefore they keep going for a color-nickname setup. I only wonder aloud because they should've given up on the format after Black Knights was a wash, but they haven't.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

2 hours ago, hockey week said:

Do you think Knights might be too generic to actually copyright? Maybe it's not very defensible, and therefore they keep going for a color-nickname setup. I only wonder aloud because they should've given up on the format after Black Knights was a wash, but they haven't.

The logo, stylized wordmark and "Las Vegas Knights" name in general would qualify. Knights by itself won't. But, most teams do not own a trademark (not copyright, know the difference) to just their nickname. It's almost always in relation to their city/location name.

23 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

I'd like to see black, vegas gold and maybe a little magenta, to accent (enough to be adventurous, without being gaudy).

I think you're spot on, Beer Guy.

...A touch of Vegas pizzazz...but not too much.

The league and the residents don't want an identity that's too "strip-ish".

Also, Vegas will be under the hockey microscope.

There's a lot of people out there that would like to see this thing fail. (I think Ice_Cap called the expansion to Vegas "asinine").

I say play it safe...at first.

As far as a look, I'd be leaning towards the traditional side, with a tad of Vegas edge.

Throw more colour and neon into the alts and special events sweaters.

Magenta might be a good choice for an additional spot colour. (I can't believe I'm saying that)

...Not sure if military-guy Foley would go for it, but there'll be some of that (magenta) in the T-Mobile Arena for sure.

Archived