Las Vegas NHL Expansion

ShinyHubCaps

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CreamSoda said:

It's gonna be a bird wearing a shiny Knight's helmet.

The team logo is going to be a bird -named Ace - with neon plumage that is wearing a metallic silver knight's helmet and an Elvis Presley-inspired jumpsuit. Ace will be depicted piloting an F-117 stealth aircraft that is dropping a pair of dice and several poker chips from its bomb bay. 

Of all the names they are thinking about Nighthawks. Damn, that's not a good name for an new franchise if there's another one with a much storied history and founding member of the league. 

Night Owls, Atoms and Aces sound great IMHO. Even Black Knights, if not a bit generic, would have been better that Nighthawks.

Well, if a variation on hawks is the final three, then the NHL has more than likely OK'd them.  While the nighthawks name and bird logo would separate them from Chicago, I'm not necessarily sure it's enough.  

Because (something) hawks lends itself to being shortened as 'Hawks and this could cause problems in everyday discussion, among fans, players, broadcasters, commentators, studio anchors, branding issues.  

Even if there is no trademark, I can see Chicago fighting back on this a bit, they could argue that the name is too confusing when abbreviated.  Chicago certainly has the clout where the NHL may hear them out. The NHL doing anything about it though remains to bee seen. 

I know Army and a couple other teams where not okay with Knights or Black Knights, I would suspect the LA Kings were not thrilled with it either, being as the proposed color scheme would be 2/3 of LA's colors and probably a medieval knight of some sort.  

I was starting to like Las Vegas Owls or Night Owls.  

You know what just call 'em the Las Vegas Bulldogs. Sure it may not a name associated with a professional sports team, but it's so common, I don't think there would be much legal pushback.  

11 minutes ago, bowld said:

As much as I dislike Nighthawks it's a hell of a lot better than Desert Hawks. And there is no chance they will be called the Red Hawks when we already have a blackhawks and a red wings in the league 

problem solved. hawk wings

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

13 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

I bet Foley wants NightHawks just so fans will shorten it to just "Nights" and then he can claim a small victory.

He can't be that :censored: ing stupid.

*remembers he wants to put an NHL team in Las Vegas*

Oh wait, I guess he can.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

2 minutes ago, worcat said:

Why can't it just be the "Las Vegas Hockey Club"? This way no one is disappointed because lets face it. We're going to disappointed.

How about the Las Vegas NHL's? Hey it worked wonders for the Baltimore CFL club, amirrite. 

Archived