Las Vegas NHL Expansion

ShinyHubCaps

26 minutes ago, Webfooter said:

How about the Las Vegas Night Knights?  Satisfies both of his wishes (represent Las Vegas' night life and his Army ties.)

"Night Knights"... that's something you tell your kid after tucking them in to bed.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is from "BattleBorn" over at HF...

"Foley said there were four names and that he'd be the only one that knows (the final name).
He confirms the three domain purchases today, and says there's two more coming (a total of five.)
They're registered under the intellectual property holding company for another corporation (Black Knight IP Holding Company LLC.)

Why do you give the intellectual property of the hockey team (the domain and name) to the corporation's holding company that has little/nothing to do with the hockey team (and is publicly owned.) 

He could have very easily set up a company like Foley Hockey IP Holding Company himself for a couple hundred dollars and not intermingled the hockey intellectual property with the corporate intellectual property and also kept people off the scent. 

This can't be real.

You can kind of forgive the branding mistake and Chicago thing,

you can say the corporation was just convenient,

you can say he misspoke on Tuesday,

you can say Adidas stinks at keeping things secret and leaked...

I don't think you can say all of those things and still think it's real."

10 minutes ago, the admiral said:

If the London Knights get in the way of the Vegas team, wouldn't the Blackhawks do the same? more so?

Bingol...

I'm not a lawyer, but how does a Jr. hockey club take possession of such a common and generic word as "knights"?

Vegas will have a totally different logo, colour scheme, etc.

An official from the London Knights stated yesterday that they haven't even spoken to the Foley group :huh:.

Smoke n' mirrors, admiral...

With the proviso that it was a different NHL back then (but then again, come to think of it, was it?), the Wirtzes blocked the Kansas City expansion team from calling itself the "MoHawks," a portmanteau of "MO" for Missouri and "Jayhawks" for Kansas, that also just happened to have an Indian head for a logo. As we all know, they went with Scouts instead, then moved, then moved again, where their existence in North Jersey bothers BeerDude or whatever. If the town wasn't big enough for Black Hawks and MoHawks, I suspect Nighthawks would be just as objectionable.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Well... what's your opinion, hockey week?

Don't you think that "Knights" is better than "Nighthawks"?

I do.

Foley still gets his nod to the Black Knights with "Knights".

I still can't believe that a Jr. club in Canada can block the naming of an NHL club in the U.S,...

but I could be wrong.

I'm not sure if this is fan made or not, but when I looked up "las Vegas nighthawks" on IG this account showed up. It was started 5 hours ago. When I searched up other names a pizza place, and some other random place came up. What do you all think.

Screenshot_2016-08-12-00-19-55.png

SIG.png

7 minutes ago, LA_Angels said:

I'm not sure if this is fan made or not, but when I looked up "las Vegas nighthawks" on IG this account showed up. It was started 5 hours ago. When I searched up other names a pizza place, and some other random place came up. What do you all think.

Screenshot_2016-08-12-00-19-55.png

No chance that's real. There's no way they'd create the account before announcing the name.

My bet is still Las Vegas Black Knights.

I don't think London would be blocking LV from using "Knights" (if anything, it would be West Point).  However, I wonder if the OHL being an international league with a presence in the US changes anything.  I still doubt it, but who knows. 

1 hour ago, sparky chewbarky said:

Well... what's your opinion, hockey week?

Don't you think that "Knights" is better than "Nighthawks"?

I do.

Foley still gets his nod to the Black Knights with "Knights".

I still can't believe that a Jr. club in Canada can block the naming of an NHL club in the U.S,...

but I could be wrong.

It's not that the name ISN'T better, it's the deception of creating a false choice. "You have to choose between A or B, pick which one is better" when in reality you have the whole alphabet. It's a great way to make a bad option look better...and it's not a good practice. Let a name be of its own merits.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

37 minutes ago, hockey week said:

It's not that the name ISN'T better, it's the deception of creating a false choice. "You have to choose between A or B, pick which one is better" when in reality you have the whole alphabet. It's a great way to make a bad option look better...and it's not a good practice. Let a name be of its own merits.

I agree with you hockey week.

...But who created these "false choices"?

It wasn't (officially) Adidas, the NHL, or Foley.

They're domain names that have been purchased by the Foley group.

Nothing more...nothing less.

Heck... MGM (which is 15% of the ownership group) just recently purchased "lasvegasaces.com".

Is there something to that?...(I'd like to think so...but I don't think so).

It's just that... the "Blackhawks" have such a strong presence in the NHL...why would you do something "Hawk"-related?

These 3 names don't make sense to me.

I don't think that any of them will be the team name... but that's just my opinion.

Foley has stated that there are 2 more domain purchases to be announced.

Let's see what those are.

My heart says that the name should the "Las Vegas Aces"...

But my money says it'll be the "Las Vegas Knights".

4 hours ago, the admiral said:

With the proviso that it was a different NHL back then (but then again, come to think of it, was it?), the Wirtzes blocked the Kansas City expansion team from calling itself the "MoHawks," a portmanteau of "MO" for Missouri and "Jayhawks" for Kansas, that also just happened to have an Indian head for a logo. As we all know, they went with Scouts instead, then moved, then moved again, where their existence in North Jersey bothers BeerDude or whatever. If the town wasn't big enough for Black Hawks and MoHawks, I suspect Nighthawks would be just as objectionable.

I guess I can officially be the first to give the unpopular opinion here that I really don't mind the name Nighthawks. In fact, I kinda like it.

4 hours ago, generalshepherd141 said:

No chance that's real. There's no way they'd create the account before announcing the name.

My bet is still Las Vegas Black Knights.

Nah. Foley wouldn't tip his hand this way. This was almost assuredly made by an opportunistic fan thinking he can push the team in to paying for the page 

Texas.gif

Archived