Las Vegas NHL Expansion

ShinyHubCaps

5 hours ago, the admiral said:

If the London Knights get in the way of the Vegas team, wouldn't the Blackhawks do the same? more so?

With as much of a say as the league has had in the naming process, the names wouldn't have made it to this point of consideration without the team and the league getting the ok from Chicago that it isn't poaching off their ground. I also am 95 percent convinced Nighthawks is going to be the name (Foley gets to pay his homage to the military after all, the F117 was prominent in Desert Storm), and it isn't nearly as bad as people think. It also fits a Nevada team quite well.. Between the bird being one prominent in the state, the F117 being largely constructed operationally in Vegas at Nellis AFB, stationed at the Tonopah Test Range and making its maiden trip in Groom Lake, it is as much of a Las Vegas/Nevada themed name as you can get while venturing outside the gambling realm. Also the name of the pilots of the Lockheed Nighthawk were called... Bandits. 

The name truly is an extremely good one. I know there are some issues with Chicago having a similar name but Blackhawks and their theme is homage to the great Chief.. The Nighthawks would be entirely different, going for the bird/aviation angle. If anything, theirs is more closely associated to Winnipeg or Philadelphia; unless Foley goes full bird theme which would make it one to itself. 

Lastly, as the Houston Texans showed us, no matter how panned a name may be (and Texans is far more generic and hokey than Nighthawks), a good color scheme and logo is the key to polishing any turd. I suspect already the colors and logo are gonna stand out in a good way. We aren't getting an Oklahoma City Thunder or new Clippers. I think we are gonna get more a Houston Texans/Minnesota Wild with the logo and colors.

Texas.gif

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Thomas said:

Nighthawk is really lame, sounds like a Marvel cartoon character

Nighthawk actually is a Marvel character. Would've made things pretty easy for the NHL Guardian Project.

Nighthawk-1.jpg 

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

13 hours ago, worcat said:

Why can't it just be the "Las Vegas Hockey Club"? This way no one is disappointed because lets face it. We're going to disappointed.

I found the logo.

club-48940_640.png

5 hours ago, Oso said:

With as much of a say as the league has had in the naming process, the names wouldn't have made it to this point of consideration without the team and the league getting the ok from Chicago that it isn't poaching off their ground. I also am 95 percent convinced Nighthawks is going to be the name (Foley gets to pay his homage to the military after all, the F117 was prominent in Desert Storm), and it isn't nearly as bad as people think. It also fits a Nevada team quite well.. Between the bird being one prominent in the state, the F117 being largely constructed operationally in Vegas at Nellis AFB, stationed at the Tonopah Test Range and making its maiden trip in Groom Lake, it is as much of a Las Vegas/Nevada themed name as you can get while venturing outside the gambling realm. Also the name of the pilots of the Lockheed Nighthawk were called... Bandits. 

The name truly is an extremely good one. I know there are some issues with Chicago having a similar name but Blackhawks and their theme is homage to the great Chief.. The Nighthawks would be entirely different, going for the bird/aviation angle. If anything, theirs is more closely associated to Winnipeg or Philadelphia; unless Foley goes full bird theme which would make it one to itself. 

Lastly, as the Houston Texans showed us, no matter how panned a name may be (and Texans is far more generic and hokey than Nighthawks), a good color scheme and logo is the key to polishing any turd. I suspect already the colors and logo are gonna stand out in a good way. We aren't getting an Oklahoma City Thunder or new Clippers. I think we are gonna get more a Houston Texans/Minnesota Wild with the logo and colors.

KINDA... The Blackhawks were named after the Black Hawk Division that the original owner Frederic McLaughlin was in, which was named after the Chief, so there is some military influence there, which makes both teams military-influenced in their names (If Vegas is the Nighthawks). Because Foley's probably going to use the military theme of nighthawks in his team branding...

Also, Texans may be generic, but they play in Texas, so it works. Just like the Habs name works...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

5 hours ago, Oso said:

The only equivalent I can think of is the White Sox and the Red Sox. Both are very old and the teams were named in a different era, but the names Nighthawks and Blackhawks sound extremely similar. In principal you could make a similar case for calling them the Flak Jackets. It's technically not the same as the Blue Jackets, but this example illustrates the same issue. 

Chris just tweeted...

"Team confirmed our list last night, now hearing LasVegas has eliminated all 3 Hawks names & chosen something else. Didn't like fan response?"

Edit: Sorry about being redundant all over again. LA and I posted at about the same time.

I'll admit...I'm kinda bummed Nighthawks won't be chosen--and less so that the team rescinded the "-hawks" options instead of sticking to its guns--but it's nice that there won't be a conflict with the Chicago Blackhawks. Plus, it keeps the option--however slim--for Vipers, Knights, or Aces (all superior in light of the issue with Chicago IMO) open.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

34 minutes ago, sparky chewbarky said:

Chris just tweeted...

"Team confirmed our list last night, now hearing LasVegas has eliminated all 3 Hawks names & chosen something else. Didn't like fan response?"

Edit: Sorry about being redundant all over again. LA and I posted at about the same time.

Fan response or general response?  I would think a ton of Chicago fans gave them grief.

Knights or Vipers all the way!!!

Las Vegas Degenerate Gambling Drunk Indian Savages it is.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Bummer.

At this point

5 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

Fan response or general response?  I would think a ton of Chicago fans gave them grief.

Knights or Vipers all the way!!!

I like Vipers too but Foley seems pretty adamant about not wanting a reptilian name. Knights is facing too much legal issue from the London Knights. 

Texas.gif

I also may be the only one but kinda bummed they pulled back the names. I was fully on board with Nighthawks. 

At this point, Foley just should pick a name and stick with it. Not everyone is gonna like it regardless of how good it could be.

Texas.gif

4 minutes ago, agentrygraphics said:

A shame..."Nevada Nighthawks" had some awesome alliteration.

I like the Nevada moniker better than. Las Vegas or Vegas. It works as well as Minnesota, Tennessee, Arizona, etc. The alliteration definitely worked too.

1 minute ago, jmac11281 said:

I like the Nevada moniker better than. Las Vegas or Vegas. It works as well as Minnesota, Tennessee, Arizona, etc. The alliteration definitely worked too.

I think taking the "state" route works best when there's no existing or foreseeable pro team (in that sport) coming to another city in the state....which in the ones you listed hold true.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

5 minutes ago, agentrygraphics said:

I think taking the "state" route works best when there's no existing or foreseeable pro team (in that sport) coming to another city in the state....which in the ones you listed hold true.

That's why I kept Florida (and California, when the Angels went by it) off the list. Multiple teams in one state should get rid of going by just the state.

Archived