Las Vegas NHL Expansion

ShinyHubCaps

It amazing how many people on social media who post on the team page panned Nighthawks for being too similar to Blackhawks but in turn post that they want the team to bring back the name Thunder. Funny how that works.

Reality is, no matter what name Foley picks, there are gonna be a number of people who squat on it. Can't please em all. Also, with seeing how badly Nighthawks, Red Hawks and Desert Hawks were panned, I can only imagine what the reaction would have been if social media existed when the name Penguins and Dolphins were dropped on professional sports franchises.

Texas.gif

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Lafarge said:

Nighthawk actually is a Marvel character. Would've made things pretty easy for the NHL Guardian Project.

Nighthawk-1.jpg 

:wacko::blink:

I had no idea ! Back in the day i was a fan of the TV show "Buffy", in one episode, one of the characters chose the codename Nighthawk, and was ridiculed by Buffy. That is my clearest and only memory of that name !   :lol:

3 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

I like the Nevada moniker better than. Las Vegas or Vegas. It works as well as Minnesota, Tennessee, Arizona, etc. The alliteration definitely worked too.

Las Vegas pretty much is Nevada. Without Vegas nobody in their right mind would ever visit that state

8 minutes ago, Timaa said:

"My name's Dale, but you have to call me Dragon."

"Well, you have to call me Nighthawk."

If it can't be Nighthawks, then why not Dragons?

Dragons kinda plays into the Knight theme, albeit as the commonly viewed adversary of knights. But it works.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

27 minutes ago, DustDevil61 said:

Dragons kinda plays into the Knight theme, albeit as the commonly viewed adversary of knights. But it works.

AND being Bill Foley is hell bent on somehow tying military themes in, Dragon is another name for the M47 (a shoulder fired missile launcher).. 

Texas.gif

Also, if there was only a name that fit this logo (he doesn't seem too fond of the name Bighorns), Foley could have a real good time with a logo based off this (which is the logo of the 17th Sustainment Brigade (a Brigade in the Army National Guard stationed in Vegahttps://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/42/17_Sust_Bde_SSI.png/800px-17_Sust_Bde_SSI.pngs).

800px-17_Sust_Bde_SSI.png

Texas.gif

3 minutes ago, Timaa said:

I was just quoting 'Step Brothers,' but sure, I'd dig the Dragons. "The mother of dragons," Khaleesi, would be a natural mascot, and rival of the male Kings.

Las Vegas expansion is literally Game of Thrones! It's spreading!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Few non residents care one bit about Nevada, or know it for anything other than being the state that Las Vegas is in.  Hell - I bet there's a (small) portion of the population that doesn't even know what state Las Vegas is in - they just know Vegas.

That's not a knock on Nevada at all - point is that using "Nevada" could be detrimental to the team's marketability.  I could kinda sorta see people wanting a shirt that says "Las Vegas XXXXXXXs".  Not as many that want a shirt that says "NEVADA" on it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Review Journal is now saying that Foley is refuting reports that the three hawk names are dead. Nighthawks still in play. Red Hawks and Desert Hawks, not so much.

Foley also mentions he has those two other names and the paperwork seems to have been filed. 

my detective skills are hard at work (I've been playing too much Batman!!).  From the article and I listened to the radio interview he did a couple days ago, I think he knows the name and is just awaiting trademark and copyright clearance.  

My guess is it's not going to be anything bird related unless there's a trademark issue.  It might be Knights, maybe this is all smoke and mirrors and is actually working with London Knights.

I think it's going to be one of two things, with the the Nighthawks as a third fall back.

Either it will be something medieval themed but not Knights, such as Gladiators, Spartans, Titans, etc. Or it will have to do with the outlaw history of the state. I believe Outlaws is out due to the Arena Football League's trademark, which appears to still be live.  I'm not sure I want to reveal the name here as the one I'm thinking of the domain name is still available and I've found no US trademark nor copyrights on it.  As for it being okay to be cleared in Canada, I'm not sure.

If Foley does chose the name I'm thinking of I think fans would be pretty happy.  Foley could still do a Knight-centric logo with this name. I haven't send the team anything but maybe I should use their contact form and suggest it, then again, I would be surprised if it wasn't on that list of Foley's and maybe it didn't make the cut.  

33 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Few non residents care one bit about Nevada, or know it for anything other than being the state that Las Vegas is in.  Hell - I bet there's a (small) portion of the population that doesn't even know what state Las Vegas is in - they just know Vegas.

That's not a knock on Nevada at all - point is that using "Nevada" could be detrimental to the team's marketability.  I could kinda sorta see people wanting a shirt that says "Las Vegas XXXXXXXs".  Not as many that want a shirt that says "NEVADA" on it.

I would hope that most people know that, including the NHL/Adidas/the XXXXXXX's brain trust. I think as long as their identity isn't a complete disaster, their merch should sell huge.

17d39f21-957a-437b-8af3-d3e112b5259f.gif

Archived