Las Vegas NHL Expansion

ShinyHubCaps

So, a collegiate name like the Black Knights, playing hockey in the middle of a desert, and a boring color scheme along the lines of the Penguins and Kings. They haven't even started and I already hope they move.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Underneath the article is someone designing NHL logos with "Vegas Flare" and I gotta say, some of 'em are pretty good.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/16044186/nhl-national-hockey-league-team-logos-redesigned-las-vegas

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Knights is fine, although a bit cliche and generic. But I'll take it over Black Knights any day. I hate unnecessary adjectives. Aces, also a bit cliche, still at least fits better and sounds better. 

Aces can also have a double meaning, both with the card game aspect as well as meaning aviation, which is a big part of the area in Southern Nevada there. 

I suppose Black Knights isn't the worst name in the world, but I can't help but think of Monty Python every time I hear it (as I'm sure others have mentioned).

In my head, I just expect them to get scored on at home and hear "It's just a flesh wound!" get played over the speakers while this gets shown on the Jumbotron:

image.jpeg

And THEN, should say the Kings beat them 4-0, you hear after the final horn, "running away eh?? I'll bite your legs off!!"

...Thus, due to my certain inability to ever take a Black Knights loss seriously, I vote for Aces. :P 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

1 hour ago, The Giant Pacific Octopus said:

Black Knights is beyond awesome. Make it happen.

https://www.dandwiki.com/w/images/thumb/2/2c/The_Black_Knight.png/300px-The_Black_Knight.png

Nah, it's really not.  Leave Black Knights for West Point.  Just because the owner is proud of his alma mater, I don't think it gives him license to just reuse the team name.  It's very amateur.  Use some West Point knowledge and come up with a new idea.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

14 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Nah, it's really not.  Leave Black Knights for West Point.  Just because the owner is proud of his alma mater, I don't think it gives him license to just reuse the team name.  It's very amateur.  Use some West Point knowledge and come up with a new idea.  

Its one of the best nicknames in all sports. The epitome of intimidation, power, fear and desire.

When the Black Knight would come into town all the men quaked in fear. The women were terrified but strangely aroused seeing his powerful intimidating form astride his horse. They knew he was bad news but couldn't help that panging in their breasts.

The King would be terrified. "Prithy Thee. Thy scoundrel Blacketh Knight has besieged my Kingdom. May not the Gods help thee in thy hour of need?"

Silent. Deadly. No mercy given. None taken. A grim reaper in armor. A Darth Vader in the years of yore.

Not just any common Knight. The horrid, feared BLACK KNIGHT.

The Catch of the Day!

1 minute ago, The Giant Pacific Octopus said:

Its one of the best nicknames in all sports. The epitome of intimidation, power, fear and desire.

When the Black Knight would come into town all the men quaked in fear. The women were terrified but strangely aroused seeing his powerful intimidating form astride his horse. They knew he was bad news but couldn't help that panging in their breasts.

The King would be terrified. "Prithy Thee. Thy scoundrel Blacketh Knight has besieged my Kingdom. May not the Gods help thee in thy hour of need?"

Silent. Deadly. No mercy given. None taken. A grim reaper in armor. A Darth Vader in the years of yore.

It's one of the best names in sports because it's only used once.  No matter how much you romanticize it...it's terrible for a pro team, especially in Vegas.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, The Giant Pacific Octopus said:

But what about a purple knight 

2 hours ago, The Giant Pacific Octopus said:

Christ, guy, it sounds like you're reading to us off your D&D character sheet.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Going somewhat off tangent here, I just hope that whomever sings the Canadian anthem when a Canadian team comes to town should this hypothetical Las Vegas franchise ever play a game, doesn't mess it up like Dennis Parks did when the CFL's Las Vegas Posse played back in 1994. (Can you imagine all the comments that would be made had YouTube been around then?)

UBwef0L.png

Archived