Las Vegas NHL Expansion

ShinyHubCaps

2 hours ago, BrianLion said:

this is literally the exact OPPOSITE of what they're trying to do in Vegas.  Yes, they'll be comping people in town for tourism reasons to the game but the entire season ticket base will be majority composed of local businesses and residents.  The locals are EXACTLY the ones they're trying to build the fanbase off of. 

this is the same lame argument the Anti-Vegas Expansion crowd was throwing out last year and it's been refuted ad nauseum. 

Oh, you refuted "the Las Vegas metro has barely grown at all since 2008 and the local economy is still not doing so hot" argument?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, rams80 said:

The Sabres are only viable because of their ability to draw from Canada.

It certainly doesn't hurt, but I think that's a bit of a stretch.

This gong show would have been tolerable if it had been balanced out by the Quebec Nordiques, but the NHL would rather not take money than take it from Francophones.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 minute ago, bowld said:

CC just tweeted that the following names were recently trademarked.. 

Desert Knights 

Silver Knights

Golden Knights 

What's with Bill Foley and his infatuation with Knights? I get he wanted to do Black Knights due to his alma mater, and regular Knights isn't great but if you can make an identity out of it, it would turn out really well. But now it might be something stupid like Desert Knights. Silver Knights or (K)Nighthawks are the two best options at this point. 

I know this will never happen, but I wish Vegas (no "Las") Bighorns would be a good name. Not cheesy? Check. Bighorns live in mountains, and mountains are colder than a desert. It'll be something all of Nevada can round behind. And you can still use your wanted color scheme of black, gold, and grey. 

1 hour ago, ~Bear said:

What's with Bill Foley and his infatuation with Knights? I get he wanted to do Black Knights due to his alma mater

That's basically the only reason. He's pretty much fixed on the name. Adjectiveless Knights he couldn't do apparently because of trademark issues with the London Knights.

Between the three, I'd say Silver Knights is the best (or rather, the only good) option. But it's probably going to be Desert.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

50 minutes ago, wildwing64 said:

That's basically the only reason. He's pretty much fixed on the name. Adjectiveless Knights he couldn't do apparently because of trademark issues with the London Knights.

Bullcrap.  Canadian trademark law isn't that different from US.  All of that concern is stupid because even what an OHL team would demand in "go away" money isn't close to what Foley is probably signing up to lose in running this hockey team.

Silver Knights is the least terrible of the lot.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

It would be funny to see Foley go with "Golden Knights," lose money and sell/move to Salt Lake City, then become the Golden Eagles. Of course, it would've been funny to see the poetic justice if such a fate were to befall the Las Vegas Vipers, too, given that the Golden Eagles were sold and moved to become the (Detroit) Vipers. 

Anyways, I find it funny how, despite having 6 names submitted between these and the 3 versions of "Hawks," there's really only been 2 options available: Some variation of "Knights" and some variation of "Hawks." Talk about illusion of variety here.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

On August 25, 2016 at 3:41 AM, 4_tattoos said:

Nah. I personally give that nod to a minor league baseball team called the Biscuits.

"Biscuits" at least has the benefit of not taking itself too seriously.  It's a goofy name, entirely fitting for a minor league baseball team.

"Desert Knights" is trying too hard to be tuff and kewl.  Instantly inferior.  

35 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

Las Vegas Ice Knights

Las Vegas Frozen Knights

Las Vegas Polar Knights

Las Vegas Arctic Knights

Las Vegas must not be where I think it is.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

WTF is a Desert Knight exactly?

I tried looking it up on Google but I got some Dungeons & Dragons stuff and random companies offering varying amounts of transportation to people on vacation.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Archived