Las Vegas NHL Expansion

ShinyHubCaps

I'm trying to think in my head what will sound the most natural when sports commentators say the name out loud. But for all of these, an ESPN highlight will probably be over by the time they're done saying the name (if they show hockey highlights at all at this point).

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could call them the "D.K.s," which could be shortened to "Deeks," which sounds like "dekes," which also sounds like "'diques," who can't play in this league because the Red Wings would have a sad.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On Wednesday, August 24, 2016 at 9:48 AM, BJ Sands said:

Desert Knights? 

Jesus... Awful.

Somehow, I am wondering if Bill is just pulling these combos out of a hat at this point to prove a point that  his choice of Black Knights wasn't as bad as people made it out to be.. 

Now we are going after names that shouldn't be slapped on a 40 and older YMCA team. 

9 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Logo inspiration?

desertknightbatman.jpg

Not West Pointy enough for Foley to consider

Texas.gif

Maybe Foley will run out of money sooner rather than later and the new owner would rebrand into "Knights".

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

SAND KNIGHTS?!

OK, just revoke the team at this point.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Once upon a time, I was actually a little excited about the Vegas hockey opportunity. The longer this thread goes on, though, the more I doubt Foley as a capable owner. 

He seems to have been pretty sound on the business side, but doesn't seem to understand hockey. The name has become such a mess, why NOT take a little time and do a fan competition?

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

6 minutes ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

Once upon a time, I was actually a little excited about the Vegas hockey opportunity. The longer this thread goes on, though, the more I doubt Foley as a capable owner. 

He seems to have been pretty sound on the business side, but doesn't seem to understand hockey. The name has become such a mess, why NOT take a little time and do a fan competition?

steve_ballmer_sweating.jpg

Do they already have a Knight logo designed and don't want to go back to the drawing board? That's the only real explanation I can think of besides some weird unhealthy obsession on the part of Foley. (I'm fully convinced that the "hawks" names were only introduced to gain public favor for the knights names).

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

3 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

This is becoming almost comical now. They're just throwing nearly every applicable adjective in front of Knights. 

Las Vegas Night Knights?

My apologies if this has already been mentioned earlier.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

4 hours ago, the admiral said:

You could call them the "D.K.s," which could be shortened to "Deeks," which sounds like "dekes," which also sounds like "'diques," who can't play in this league because the Red Wings would have a sad.

Only if this guy can be the unofficial mascot 

IMG_0732.JPG

The only kind of "desert knight" that's pretty much ever existed was something similar to the Ottoman sipahi. Good luck getting that imagery accepted by the fan base.

VmWIn6B.png

Archived