Las Vegas NHL Expansion

ShinyHubCaps

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

This was a sadly short-lived minor league soccer team:

220px-San_Antonio_Scorpions_logo.svg.png

It's not perfect, but that's actually one of the better logos that have been posted.  That's not saying much.

What is this fascination with hockey mascots breaking important pieces of equipment?  The shark, panther, and one of those scorpions are all destroying hockey sticks, and the stick is pretty much the single most important thing you need to even play the sport!  Did they steal it from their opponent?  Or are they just so ferocious that they destroyed their own?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 2016-09-03 at 6:06 PM, Brian in Boston said:

Las Vegas Paladins

Oh Brian. You know the way to my heart :D

gPjcNRM.jpg

4 hours ago, ScubaSteve said:

This thread is descending into madness and I'm loving it

Nope.

Now it has...

aXVN52D.png

12 hours ago, ScubaSteve said:

This thread is descending into madness and I'm loving it

ba8a77aedbc43f46d1979934db3b3e40e543bc6b

The Las Vegas Score Peons! Scorpions are defensive, but Score Peons! are proactive, and quite offensive. That should make Billy Boy happy.

17d39f21-957a-437b-8af3-d3e112b5259f.gif

As much as Mr. Foley has been diplomatic towards other name options,

(in his latest statement, he finally gave the "Aces" name a positive acknowledgement)

it's apparent that he really, really wants "Knights" (would have preferred "Black Knights" of course),

and I think everyone would be fine with him getting what he wants.

The adjective in front of "Knights" (Neon...Silver...Boogie) will be basically just for trademark and domain reasons

(if necessary...I still think that it may end up being just "Knights").
I could see the name used for most marketing and everyday usage will be primarily just "Knights".

When you think of it, we have the same situation (sort of) in Toronto.
"Leafs" is used at least as much as "Maple Leafs"...Leafs Lunch...Leafs Nation...Leafs T.V...etc. etc.

I'm still struggling to understand a guy driving his brand into the ground before it's established. Two word name? Did we learn nothing ftom the Devil Rays? How many people actually ever used the full name? Military theme? Sadly, that's most of the local heritage left, when you strip the gambling away. Does that make it a good idea? Only with Aces or Thunderbirds. Neither one is happening, and any other name is passable, at best. I'm so frustrated with the process, at this point, no matter what the brand, I'm likely to just see "Las Vegas Boondoggles."

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

This is going to end up being one of the most embarrassing travesties in professional sports, and we're all going to try to ignore the shame of this expansion identity for years before it finally starts to fix itself...

...and then 25 years from now, the people who were children today will think that the original expansion idea was amazing because they're nostalgic for their childhoods, pushing for the team to go back to it full time and reversing all the progress that had been made while we all shake our heads and have arguments on whatever replaces message boards as to whether or not it should be happening.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

End up? This was embarrassing from the day they rejected Quebec City's expansion bid for being too far east and gave the 32nd team to the stronger candidate of No One.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think we should wait and see what actually happens in Las Vegas before calling it a complete disaster.  I know everyone wants to know the name like yesterday and are fearing it will be something completely stupid, but let's just wait.  Did anyone think San Jose or Dallas would work out?  I know Phoenix and Carolina have been a bust, but the real problem wasn't going there in the first place; it's staying there for as long as they have.  As for Quebec, if the Canadian dollar was much higher than it is right now, the league might have given them an expansion team, too.  Still possible a team moves to Quebec, too.

17 hours ago, the admiral said:

End up? This was embarrassing from the day they rejected Quebec City's expansion bid for being too far east and gave the 32nd team to the stronger candidate of No One.

This process was embarrassing before that point in time, admiral.

-Gary decides to go "full disclosure" in some sort of weird public buy-in process. (why wasn't this all done behind closed doors?)

-the positive anticipation of maybe 4 candidates (Seattle-Las Vegas-TO2-QC) ante-ing up to join the league,

turns into the negative disappointment of "only two" parties willing to accept the league's terms.

-Gary's official response to "only two" is snarky, to say the least.

He obviously fully expected Seattle to be part of this expansion.

-QC is denied in spite of jumping through all of Gary's hoops, further disappointing hockey fans.

...It's been a total mismanagement of expectations.

...and now, in the naming of the team, we are being subjected to a circus of false leaks, and fake domains...

to the point where most fans just want it over, and will be O.K. with just about anything... 

as long as it's not "Sand Hawk Knights" or some other double-triple word abomination.

On the positive side, I do agree with M4One...

Let's see what happens.

Let's see what the city, that exists on the ability to entertain, does with the game.

Let's see what the only pro-sport in a city of 2 million, with 40 million visitors annually can accomplish. 

...and, it's still possible, (hopefully) that there's hockey in Q.C., sooner than later.

On September 3, 2016 at 3:06 PM, Brian in Boston said:

I've previously suggested Las Vegas Battlers, Las Vegas Paladins, Las Vegas Sidewinders, Las Vegas Vipers, Las Vegas Wranglers, and Las Vegas Thunderbirds.

That said, what about the Las Vegas Lancers

Lancers were cavalrymen who fought with a lance. During the Middle Ages, warfare involving lances was conducted by armoured combatants and the knightly sport of jousting arose as a means of developing and refining lance warfare skills. As a result, the name would lend itself to a logo package containing depictions of knights, which we know is important to Foley. It's also nicely alliterative. 

A possible negative is that the USHL's Omaha Lancers may be no more accommodating than the OHL's London Knights when it comes to sharing an identity with an NHL franchise.

I think I suggested Lancers, don't remember though as it seems like it was at least two or three months ago.  Though, it's probably way too simple and logical of a name for it to be in the NHL. :)

This Vegas expansion is becoming a show, I agree. I thought of Vegas Blackjacks (the weapon) they could have a mascot that looked like a Bandit or robber. 

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

Archived