Las Vegas NHL Expansion

ShinyHubCaps

7 hours ago, DaRadniz29 said:

I think I suggested Lancers, don't remember though as it seems like it was at least two or three months ago.  Though, it's probably way too simple and logical of a name for it to be in the NHL. :)

Lancers was my high school's mascot. All of our branding and logos for sports could just have easily been "Knights.":  The only place you actually ever saw a lance was on the high school's crest.  

This could be Foley's way of getting "Knights" without the trademark issues.  Not to mention the alliteration makes the name catchy. 

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As "entertaining" as this fiasco has become, and as down as most of us are about the prospects of this team's identity, I think it can all be saved by a nice color scheme and jersey package.

My fear, though, founded on the idea that this Foley guy is hardheaded and stubborn, is that the color scheme will be drab. 

We know black is going in there. No point in fighting it. Black knights/ aces...it's going to be in there.

It's the silver state, so that's probably a shoe-in.

I'm begging for some purple in this league, and you don't want a new team to look like an established team in potentially name and colors (The Kings). So, what do you think it ends up being?

Black/ white/ silver ...and ....? Gold? Good grief ! 

I'm going with blue, and maybe a design element that comes from the LV flag:

Image result

I am surprised we haven't heard more about colors and potential designs (only about the God-forsaken name).

So I'm saying we have a royal-ish blue-based jersey with alternating black and silver diagonal stripes, as seen above. 

Thoughts?

9 hours ago, lahaye7 said:

TI thought of Vegas Blackjacks...

Foley could attain his much-desired team identity and "culture that has a military origin to it" with either the Las Vegas Black Jacks or Nevada Black Jacks.

Of course, the name would have been much more appropriate from a military perspective if General of the Armies John J. "Black Jack" Pershing had actually had a posting at a U.S. Army installation in Nevada during his career. ;)

On September 5, 2016 at 3:58 PM, hockey week said:

This is going to end up being one of the most embarrassing travesties in professional sports, and we're all going to try to ignore the shame of this expansion identity for years before it finally starts to fix itself...

...and then 25 years from now, the people who were children today will think that the original expansion idea was amazing because they're nostalgic for their childhoods, pushing for the team to go back to it full time and reversing all the progress that had been made while we all shake our heads and have arguments on whatever replaces message boards as to whether or not it should be happening.

More likely, people 25 years from now are going to be saying with an expansion to whatever city, "This is turning into another Las Vegas _________s situation"

ExJworW.png

4 hours ago, NYYNYR said:

What do people think of a color scheme of royal blue/ silver /black/ vegas gold ?

Looks really good, especially in metallics.  At this point I'm positive that scheme will look like a godsend compared to what they ultimately choose.

3 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

Foley could attain his much-desired team identity and "culture that has a military origin to it" with either the Las Vegas Black Jacks or Nevada Black Jacks.

Of course, the name would have been much more appropriate from a military perspective if General of the Armies John J. "Black Jack" Pershing had actually had a posting at a U.S. Army installation in Nevada during his career. ;)

Las Vegas Jack Aces ...since that's what Foley is acting like right now. 

NYCdog.png

9 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

More likely, people 25 years from now are going to be saying with an expansion to whatever city, "This is turning into another Las Vegas _________s situation"

It isn't happening with Anaheim as we speak, so I doubt it. Nobody has said, "Las Vegas Silver Knights? This is Mighty Ducks of Anaheim all over again!"

It's a shot at Ducks nostalgia, is what it was. History tends to repeat itself.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

16 hours ago, NYYNYR said:

What do people think of a color scheme of royal blue/ silver /black/ vegas gold ?

depositphotos_9559638-Collection-of-four

I remember a while back, Mr. Foley stating emphatically that the colours WILL be gold, black and silver (grey). That decision was made early for reasons, it seemed, involving the construction (maybe home team dressing room colours?). However, it seems now that any combo will be considered.

This one looks pretty good, and it includes Foley's choices (G,B,S).

12 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

If Las Vegas NHL exists in 25 years I'll be amazed.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Las Vegas Vultures is my favorite idea I've heard in this thread and that's not just because I had a fantasy team here for 11 years called the Vultures. 

It's an animal not used in the big 4, potential for cool and striking logo, alliterative, local reference, not a gambling reference (is it? Is there some gambling slang term I don't know about), Vultures fly in circles and hockey players cycle the puck in the corners so there's some commonality there. 

It's better than Hawk Knights or whatever. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

14 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Las Vegas Vultures is my favorite idea I've heard in this thread and that's not just because I had a fantasy team here for 11 years called the Vultures. 

It's an animal not used in the big 4, potential for cool and striking logo, alliterative, local reference, not a gambling reference (is it? Is there some gambling slang term I don't know about), Vultures fly in circles and hockey players cycle the puck in the corners so there's some commonality there. 

It's better than Hawk Knights or whatever. 

As cool as it sounds (Vegas Vultures rolls right off the tongue) and fits with the region, I think the Vulture is a very undesirable animal. But it would still get my vote over pretty much everything I've heard thus far.

sig.png

17 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

As cool as it sounds (Vegas Vultures rolls right off the tongue) and fits with the region, I think the Vulture is a very undesirable animal. But it would still get my vote over pretty much everything I've heard thus far.

I agree, but it could be sold that way. Yeah they're dirty and gross looking and they scavenge on already dead animals, but they can also fly. All of that kind of suits a hockey team, no? Hockey is predicated on grit, going into the tough areas, doing things you don't really want to do, but then there's the gracefulness that comes with speed and skating (like flying in a way) If a guy plants himself in front of the net and scores off a rebound or tip, which is like 75% of all goals without doing much of the work himself, you could say he vultured the puck. 

At this point I'd be okay with Las Vegas HC and let the fans create a nickname organically instead of focus grouping this thing to death or forcing a square peg into a round hole ala Desert Knights. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

31 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

yeah I'm not sure how you build a positive brand around an ugly, large bird that survives by eating the carcasses of dead animals, and is also is a term for describing someone who takes advantage of the weak? 

Archived