Las Vegas NHL Expansion

ShinyHubCaps

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we get an anthropomorphic cactus out of this, I'm cool with it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I am going to preface this by saying I consider Nevada to be my home state. Grew up in Tonopah, got my Bachelors Degree at UNLV and lived there quite a few years after. From the moment there were talks that the NHL was considering Las Vegas as an expansion team, I was amped. I have felt for awhile now that if given an opportunity, Las Vegas would show as a whole they can support a professional sports franchise.

Thus, I obviously was quite happy to see Bill Foley share that view. The man busted his ass to get the league to see his vision and did more than enough, despite the criticism from those who aren't buying it, to land an expansion team. I am beyond thankful to Foley for this. 

Yet, this entire name the team dance has been a huge fiasco.  Yes, we all are well aware he spent $500 million on the team. With that, yes he final say on branding. However, one of the first things they teach you in Business 101 is to know your target audience and listen to them. Contrary to what it has appeared, no many in Las Vegas and Nevada weren't hooked on an "Aces or Bust" mindset. However, anything Knights related has been largely panned. It all began with his infatuation with Black Knights, and has not improved over time. When he at the beginning briefly discussed a name the team contest then pulled back because the vote largely went against his West Point wet dream monikers, hung on to the "Knights or Bust" mentality and continued to point to HIS West Point love for why he wants the team to have a moniker that pays homage to it, he got himself already off to a rocky start. I and others against this have absolutely nothing but appreciation towards him for his service and his time at West Point. However his mindset of "its my team, I am gonna name it whatever I want and it's going to be a name symbolic to ME," he stopped paying attention to his target audience and that is the last thing you want to do when you are introducing a product to a new audience. Yes, some here seem to be ok with Desert Knights, but that is largely in part because we have come to reality that he is going to call the team the (Adjective) Knights regardless, and we want to feel like we have some voice. Essentially its almost voting for the lesser of two evils. Let's see if he truly listens at all to feedback, or if he goes with the full Army theme and picks Golden Knights to match the Army parachute team, despite it being the overwhelming least favorite of three completely uninspiring options.

Granted, he could wind up having a logo, color scheme and jerseys waiting to unveil which would completely make the majority eat their words on the moniker (see the Houston Texans) but right now, and if the team has a quality on ice product; the team can be called the Rat Turds and people will still come. However a lot are viewing this as a rough start to a first date.

Texas.gif

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

FF8_Cactuar.png

Needs to be breaking a stick somehow. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I love how the fans are starting to call Foley out on his Army lust and what he considers an "homage" to them.  That's like saying "I went to Notre Dame and want to do an homage to my alma mater.  How about 'Las Vegas Fighting Irish'?"  It's not an homage.  Homages are supposed to be subtle.

Having said that, I started thinking about this again.  I want to do a concept for a Las Vegas NBA expansion team in NBA 2K17.  I thought about some new ones:

- Las Vegas Roadrunners

- Las Vegas Daredevils

- Las Vegas Monsters (like Gila monsters)

- Las Vegas Lizards (like lounge lizards, or like the animal)

If they survive long enough in Vegas (i.e. long enough for an ownership change), I'd bet the next owners will shorten whatever name they choose to simply "Las Vegas Knights, " a la the Tampa Bay Rays.

Knights, by itself, actually fits Vegas decently well. It's a nice little play on words with Vegas at nighttime. And absolutely no one will call the team the "Golden Knights" in conversation ever. 

That said, I doubt the team will survive long enough to be sold to a new ownership group that would want to keep them in Vegas. 

18 hours ago, Oso said:

Yet, this entire name the team dance has been a huge fiasco.  Yes, we all are well aware he spent $500 million on the team. With that, yes he final say on branding. However, one of the first things they teach you in Business 101 is to know your target audience and listen to them.

I don't think you necessarily need to let the fans decide team names, but I think you need to get your name out early nowadays.  The team left a void for the Internet to fill.  People have been tossing around names like crazy for a long time, and everybody gets their favorite.  Then, everyone is disappointed when their favorite doesn't get picked, even though each "favorite" may have only had 5% support in a giant, wide-open field.  Pick a name early, and people will get used to it... if it isn't terrible.

57 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

I don't think you necessarily need to let the fans decide team names, but I think you need to get your name out early nowadays.  The team left a void for the Internet to fill.  People have been tossing around names like crazy for a long time, and everybody gets their favorite.  Then, everyone is disappointed when their favorite doesn't get picked, even though each "favorite" may have only had 5% support in a giant, wide-open field.  Pick a name early, and people will get used to it... if it isn't terrible.

Yeah, for real. There were about three weeks between the announcement of the Thrashers moving to Winnipeg and the announcement of the team being named the Winnipeg Jets and it still felt like an eternity. Of course, when you all know in your heart what it ought to be and still have to reckon with the possibility of the "Manitoba Polar Bears," every day can feel like a year.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 9/17/2016 at 1:08 AM, the admiral said:

A reference to communism in a cradle of crass, unbridled capitalism? Las Vegas isn't sophisticated enough for that kind of irony.

GtYl2o0.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E_bR4kXIIY

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

Archived