Las Vegas NHL Expansion

ShinyHubCaps

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Night Owls would be pretty badass, really.  It's a famous painting, Las Vegas is a city defined by night life, and owls are found in and around the Las Vegas area, so it makes sense.

Definitely an underused moniker in sports.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

"Owls" really is underused, and there are loads of logo options (aggressive, orinthologically-correct, cartoon, feathers on a letter/forming a letter, etc.).

Also, if you're worried about owls not being aggressive enough of a name, let me remind you that those birds are pretty vicious...

On 9/17/2016 at 4:49 PM, Cosmic said:

I don't think you necessarily need to let the fans decide team names, but I think you need to get your name out early nowadays.  The team left a void for the Internet to fill.  People have been tossing around names like crazy for a long time, and everybody gets their favorite.  Then, everyone is disappointed when their favorite doesn't get picked, even though each "favorite" may have only had 5% support in a giant, wide-open field.  Pick a name early, and people will get used to it... if it isn't terrible.

I'm already mentally composing the OITGDNHL chapter on the naming of this team.  Depending on how this all pans out, some of the more absurd parts of this story haven't even been told yet.

I agree about Owls being a badass name. Back around 1994 when Toronto got an NBA team they had a name the team contest. I submitted Toronto Snow Owls. Unfortunately they choose a winning entry from a young girl that loved Jurassic Park and named the team the Raptors!  I groaned pretty loud when they announced that name.

I still groan even to this day.

The Catch of the Day!

40 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Are you thinking of Nighthawks?

Er yes, whoops.  

Still - awesome.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Owls is a great nickname, underused in pro sports.

I really liked @Christian Legault's 'diques concept with a snow owl. Definitely underutilized. 

nordss_zps66d8815e.png

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Has anyone discussed the possibility of the team being the Golden Knights or Silver Knights and wearing either White or Black? Blue Jackets wear blue. Blues wear blue. Red Wings wear red. Golden Knights wear black. It doesn't fit.

6 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

"Owls" really is underused, and there are loads of logo options (aggressive, orinthologically-correct, cartoon, feathers on a letter/forming a letter, etc.).

Also, if you're worried about owls not being aggressive enough of a name, let me remind you that those birds are pretty vicious...

LOL that video is seriously frightening.

11 hours ago, DiePerske said:

Sad day that yet another team will not use Rhinos as their nickname.

Waiting for the day a team other than Rochester uses the Rhinos.

There was a professional hockey team with the Rhinos name in the 90s, but it was roller hockey:

96goudierhinosfr.jpg

nice looking program cover:

sanrhi95-july.png

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

Archived