Las Vegas NHL Expansion

ShinyHubCaps

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, M4One said:

They already stripped down the Key Arena down to its bones and rebuilt it once before and the Sonics still left.  At this point, I would say new building or nothing.  Now that Hansen's group no longer needs public money, this should be a no brainer.  While Hansen may not want anything to do with a NHL team, that Victor Coleman guy might still be interested.

I think Hansen would love to have an NHL team in Seattle playing in his arena, he just doesn't want to own the team.

The Key Arena stuff is infuriating. Hansen's jumped through all the hoops; make it happen.

Seattle government is really getting in its own way these days.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

14 minutes ago, daniel75 said:

It failed before. Though i'd like to see the Nordiques back.

It had an obsolete arena.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

5 minutes ago, rams80 said:

It had an obsolete arena.

Yeah but they weren't very well supported either, from what i've read anyway, unless the internet lied. But like i said i really would like to see them return.

31 minutes ago, daniel75 said:

Quebec and Winnipeg are both under 1M people. Ottawa is bigger than Calgary and Edmonton.

27 minutes ago, daniel75 said:

Yeah but they weren't very well supported either, from what i've read anyway, unless the internet lied. But like i said i really would like to see them return.

They were very well supported (especially considering the fact they normally sucked). These numbers were more than decent for these years considering that attendance normally ranged from 10000 to around 18000. Lack of a new arena with all the modern revenue sources killed the team.

image_att_graph.gif

Screenshot_2016-11-01-22-40-46.png

Ottawa Senators will be playing in a new downtown arena within a few years.  Last I read, they're still ironing out the details & plans allowed by the NCC (National Capital Commission) for the zoning & building options.

Sens are going nowhere.

As for Quebec City, I'd bet the Hurricanes.  

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

7 hours ago, daniel75 said:

Their market didn't fail them, their owner and the Canadian dollar did. The owner didn't get the new arena or the government bailout that he wanted (the team was taking in revenues in a currency that was worth half as much as the currency with which they had to pay their largest expense, payroll - you try making a business work under those conditions), so he sold the Nordiques to some generic American corporation, who moved the team to Denver practically overnight.

20 hours ago, Oso said:

With all the talk of which team is the one to go to Quebec City, including those speculating on the impending doom of the Silver/Desert/Golden Knights before they've ever played a game, it's quite humorously ironic that Ottawa is never mentioned as a possibility despite the fact that their attendance in recent years has been in the toilet and they've been hemorrhaging money since 2003.. I suppose they're above such criticism though because they're in a city that is north of the border and snows..

i think they had around 13 K last night. 

17 hours ago, DG_Now said:

The Key Arena stuff is infuriating. Hansen's jumped through all the hoops; make it happen.

Seattle government is really getting in its own way these days.

Agreed. Bottom line is the City Council doesn't want an NBA or NHL team. So until new leadership takes over, I don't think either are coming to Seattle any time soon.

1 hour ago, hawk36 said:

Agreed. Bottom line is the City Council doesn't want an NBA or NHL team. So until new leadership takes over, I don't think either are coming to Seattle any time soon.

I don't think that's the case. I think it's more that the Port of Seattle runs Sodo like the mafia and by one means or another (cash, intimidation, idk) were able to get the Council on their side.

2 minutes ago, TaylorMade said:

I don't think that's the case. I think it's more that the Port of Seattle runs Sodo like the mafia and by one means or another (cash, intimidation, idk) were able to get the Council on their side.

I don't deny that probably is true. But that is also a big part of the reason why the City Council doesn't want the NBA or NHL, they've been bought off by the Port. Sad.

53 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

I don't deny that probably is true. But that is also a big part of the reason why the City Council doesn't want the NBA or NHL, they've been bought off by the Port. Sad.

City council listens to Port Authority that generates far more local revenue than any NBA or NHL team ever will.  And this surprises you because....

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

11 minutes ago, rams80 said:

City council listens to Port Authority that generates far more local revenue than any NBA or NHL team ever will.  And this surprises you because....

Doesn't surprise me that they are in their pockets, but it does surprise me that the council actually pretends to believe the Port's outrageous claims:

1. "There will be activity there 24/7, 365 days a week" - Really? An NBA playoff game or concert at 3am?

2. "Too much congestion during the events" - Hansen will pay for a direct overpass that goes from the Port to the freeway making access MUCH easier for the Port than it is now.

I wish they just had the guts to admit that the Port is calling the shots and until the Port allows it, they will not vote for it.

There's a really minimal actual impact of the Hansen arena to Port traffic; the project EIS has shown as much.

The Port of Seattle is losing business and engaging in protectionism. They could say that. Or propose a solution. But what they're instead doing is making claims not supported by evidence on the ground or in environmental analysis.

The Hansen arena is a good deal. Our council is being cowardly, first hiding behind the port and then behind internet trolls so they don't have to the defend themselves. At least a couple of them won't win reelection next year; they're on the opposite side of the voters on this.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived