Las Vegas NHL Expansion

ShinyHubCaps

Its been a while since we had a true expansion team in any league (last one may have been the NFL Texans in 2002).

As for the last ones in the NHL, Columbus announced in November before play began, so its probably safe to say by end of 2016.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I guess I'm a bit glad we're not getting another animal for animal's sake.

As for naming, I'd bet around the time of an NHL focal point - like their World Cup, or opening week, Winter Classic, etc.

They'd want to pull the trigger earlier rather than later for more swag $.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

4 hours ago, dont care said:

I'm not sure about that. The Army base Ft. Irwin is within driving distance of Vegas and i know quite a few people go to Vegas or Los Angels on weekends, or on leave etc. 

Most of the continental US is within "driving distance" of a US Army base of some kind, however that area of Nevada still has closer ties to the USAF.  And even if they didn't, it still doesnt put them anywhere closer to West Point, NY which is what "Black Knights" refers to, not the entirety of the US Army, most of whom never even sniff West Point. 

2 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

When do expansion teams typically announce their name?

Pretty sure during the announcement that Foley said he wanted to have a name, logo, and possibly even a jersey by the time the next NHL season starts, so early October? 

18 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I actually thought it was an apple, but couldn't figure out what apples and snakes had to do with Las Vegas, so I thought I was wrong and it was a cherry in reference to the cherries on slot machines, and the snake was also some kind of obscure gambling reference. Oops. 

I still think its a cherry.  Apples dont have that sort of stem.  It looks exactly like the Cherries on slot machines.

10 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

I still think its a cherry.  Apples dont have that sort of stem.  It looks exactly like the Cherries on slot machines.

I had inferred it is an apple in reference to the biblical meaning of sin. The snake and the apple in the Garden of Eden sort of thing. I may be off but I believe that is the intention of the logo.

6 minutes ago, Steve-O said:

I had inferred it is an apple in reference to the biblical meaning of sin. The snake and the apple in the Garden of Eden sort of thing. I may be off but I believe that is the intention of the logo.

I can see how that would be the case, and it easily could be an apple.

The rendering to me just looked more like a cherry than an apple.  Its very squished and lacks the typical apple shape.

3 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

Its been a while since we had a true expansion team in any league (last one may have been the NFL Texans in 2002).

As for the last ones in the NHL, Columbus announced in November before play began, so its probably safe to say by end of 2016.

I believe the last expansion team was the Charlotte Bobcats in the NBA, later renamed Hornets 2.0.

I'm pretty sure the Jackets announced their name around November of '97, just a few months after the league granted them and Atlanta, Nashville and Minnesota each an expansion franchise.

I feel like if it does end up as the Black Knights, if they can come up with a cool enough logo/identity, with an obvious black base, their jerseys/hats/merch could be the next popular sports clothes trend, like the Raiders, White Sox, 80's LA Kings. People who don't care about hockey/sports at all would probably be interested because of the cachet of Vegas alone. If ever a team called for black and trendy neon colors, this would be it.

17d39f21-957a-437b-8af3-d3e112b5259f.gif

7 hours ago, Steve-O said:

Yeah, but needing that explanation is why it's a bad logo. 

47 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I honestly didn't think it needed that much explaining. I think its a solid logo but as pointed out before, a bit too minor league in its execution.

14 hours ago, Timaa said:

I feel like if it does end up as the Black Knights, if they can come up with a cool enough logo/identity, with an obvious black base, their jerseys/hats/merch could be the next popular sports clothes trend, like the Raiders, White Sox, 80's LA Kings. People who don't care about hockey/sports at all would probably be interested because of the cachet of Vegas alone. If ever a team called for black and trendy neon colors, this would be it.

To that point, if they get it even half right, their LV hockey swag could easily be mainstream in no time.  Never mind the nickname, all they need is 'Las Vegas' & a good colour scheme/design.  Ppl who don't know anything about hockey, let alone sports, could be interested.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

I just hope that they don't go the entire opposite direction and only look to focus groups to determine a name.

Because then you get the most watered down or irrelevant name/logo.

In Youngstown, I remember when the Eastwood Field (formerly Cafaro Field) was being build, and the rumor was the name was going to be, I kid you not, "Junkyard Dogs", probably with Dawgz or something stupid to add to the idiocy. The reasoning? Jim Trafficant, was a big proponent of getting the stadium built, and he'd reference being angrier than a Junkyard Dog, etc in his floor speeches.

However, luckily, thankfully, they went with Scrappers. They still got the dog with a hardhat and chain collar. But, got to get a slightly vague, yet recognizable, and unique, nickname. A few years later, the hockey team that started in the brand Chevy Centre (now Covelli Centre), went with the entirely bland, boring, and 'cutting edge' SteelHounds, with the same basic mascot/identity. I guess we couldn't be spared twice.

At least when the SteelHounds went away, we got the corporate marketing team-name moving up from NAHL to USHL with the Youngstown Phantoms.

22 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I'm agreeing with Chromatic here. I figured it out as soon as I saw it. Snake...apple...team name is Sin. It all seemed pretty obvious. I'm not a fan of the name Sin itself (I generally dislike singular names), but if the team had to use that name? A logo incorporating a snake, apple, and hockey stick is pretty clever.

On 2016-06-28 at 11:24 AM, BringBackTheVet said:

I could do without religious references in sports logos...

I really don't see the problem. I don't see it as promoting religion so much as using cultural touchstones we're all familiar with, regardless of what faith, if any, we adhere to. We all know the story of Adam and Eve, the snake, apple, and original sin. So using the snake and apple for a team named "Sin" works for me. It's a more clever take on the name than a logo that incorporated card suits, slot machines, poker chips, or anything else so stereotypical for Las Vegas.

• 2 weeks later...

If the team does end up being called the Knights, they could possibly stick a gambling theme in there. Knight playing cards existed in some parts of the world (not to be confused with Jacks).

800px-K%C3%A1rtya_-_Hamburger_%C3%A9s_Bi

I'd be interested in seeing an armored knight card inspired logo

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Archived