Las Vegas NHL Expansion

ShinyHubCaps

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Thanks.....But how can a non NHL team have influence on a new team's name? What power can they have, and why should they even care?

They have HUGE pull with the NHL, huge.

Also it was reported he asked and they wanted compensation then it turned into they never asked, Foley doesn't want it...liar liar who knows.

Either way not gonna happen.

8 minutes ago, Thomas said:

So no future NHL team can have the same name as one of the many many teams in the various leagues across Canada and the United States? Sounds crazy to a non hockey expert as myself. 

Not necessarily. As @TheRatPack pointed out, the London Knights have a uniquely influential position given their success, longevity, history, and track record. They are, and have almost always been, the model Canadian Junior Hockey organisation. Both in terms of player development and their own on-ice success. 

It could also be a case of the team having secured its own intellectual property more thoroughly than other Canadian Junior teams. Remember, these teams are independent entities. It's quite possible that the Knights simply have better trademark attorneys than other Canadian Junior teams. 

Of course the London Knights have come out and stated that they never demanded any compensation so who knows? Maybe Foley just really didn't want his team to just be the "Knights" and used the London team as a scapegoat? That's entirely speculation on my part though. The whole situation is weird.

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

It could also be a case of the team having secured its own intellectual property more thoroughly than other Canadian Junior teams. Remember, these teams are independent entities. It's quite possible that the Knights simply have better trademark attorneys than other Canadian Junior teams. 

This is my understanding.  Because they own the trademark, Foley wouldn't be able to use it for a hockey club in Canada.  And his team would have to visit the Great White North from time to time.

Now, it doesn't explain why they couldn't work out a deal....

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

Of course the London Knights have come out and stated that they never demanded any compensation so who knows? Maybe Foley just really didn't want his team to just be the "Knights" and used the London team as a scapegoat? That's entirely speculation on my part though. The whole situation is weird.

Given that the original plan was to name them the Black Knights, that wouldn't surprise me. Desert Knights sounds "Army" enough for Foley to go with that, methinks.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

6 minutes ago, wildwing64 said:

Given that the original plan was to name them the Black Knights, that wouldn't surprise me. Desert Knights sounds "Army" enough for Foley to go with that, methinks.

Believe it or not there is a Army/Desert Knights connection, vets of wars fought in Deserts have a facebook page called Desert Knights and a platoon were known as the Desert Knights, no joke.

I'm curious, does anyone here plan on purchasing a jersey once it is unveiled? Whether you plan to follow the team or just to say you own a jersey for the first team of the big four to hit LV? Or maybe you're a hockey jersey collector? I'm interested to see how this goes down.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

15 minutes ago, worcat said:

I'm curious, does anyone here plan on purchasing a jersey once it is unveiled? Whether you plan to follow the team or just to say you own a jersey for the first team of the big four to hit LV? Or maybe you're a hockey jersey collector? I'm interested to see how this goes down.

I wont be getting a jersey, only because I never really buy and wear hockey jerseys (the only one I own is an inaugural Coyotes one that was given to me as a gift). However, I'll likely be getting a cap or shirt. I'm still "teamless" when it comes to hockey, and with the _______ Knights set to become the closest team to Utah in proximity, I may just give 'em a shot!

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

58 minutes ago, worcat said:

Well it depends. I make it to LV once a year on avaerage, generally enjoy the place, and like hockey. I also have an affinity for knights thanks to my twin loves of fantasy literature and medieval European history. 

So if the logo and sweater design are both good? I'll probably pick one up, even if I never plan on rooting for them as "my" team. 

If the logo is terrible and the design is templated garbage? I'll pass.

Agreed. If the logo is decent and the design overall isn't terrible, I'll pick one up especially if it has an Inaugural patch.

I'm a Blues fan but I also like to collect certain jerseys if I come across a good deal. All for Under $100, Florida Panthers original jersey (home and away), Anaheim Mighty Ducks (home and away), Phoenix Coyotes (home), Atlanta Thrashers (Home). I'll make an exception to spend over $100 for a Vegas team, again only if the design is legit.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

On 11/16/2016 at 11:30 AM, KittSmith_95 said:

Did no one  pay attention  to the  very  bottom  of  the  page? We also  got s hint of the font being  used with the  word Vegas.     

Actually that's just the NHL's generic team name font. You see it on all of the shirts players are usually shown wearing in dressing room interviews.

hwl?set=sku%5B20850522%5D,c%5B2%5D,w%5B4

10 hours ago, worcat said:

Las Vegas is pretty much my second home, so I'll most likely will be buying some gear.  Maybe not a jersey, but definitely a T-shirt and/or a few caps.

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

10 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

I also have an affinity for knights thanks to my twin loves of fantasy literature and medieval European history. 

A completely off topic question but I am really into this time period, too. Do you have any reading recommendations on this?

I was all ready to be disappointed and annoyed by "Golden Knights", "Silver Knights" or "Desert Knights"  (Why not the S-A-T-U-R, Saturday Knights? Get some Bay City Rollers in the NHL!!) until I saw the gawdawful New Orleans Baby Cakes are now a thing.  Makes every other team in the history of sports suddenly feel a lot better about their bad nickname.  Even the L.A. Kiss breathed a sigh of relief with that one. 

Archived