Las Vegas NHL Expansion

ShinyHubCaps

I just really struggle with Knights, it feels so generic and doesn't strike me as a great Vegas identity. Sparky's done a great job with it, but still.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think if the name ends up being Knights they should avoid black and silver in their color scheme at all cost. If I saw a hockey team called the Las Vegas Knights wearing black and silver, my first thought would be that it's a minor league affiliate of the Los Angeles Kings.

Also. That Las Vegas Aces concept with the Elvis song playing was fugging awesome. I wouldn't mind if the powers that be of the LV franchise just straight bought the rights to use that branding from the person that created it. Well done!

Hotter Than July > Thriller

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/17069335/las-vegas-expansion-team-having-trademark-naming-issues-owner-says

So they're apparently nowhere close on this.

Also, as I read this, it kind of came across like Foley is being a bit pouty/whiny about not being able to use Black Knights...am I the only one getting that vibe?

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

11 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/17069335/las-vegas-expansion-team-having-trademark-naming-issues-owner-says

Also, as I read this, it kind of came across like Foley is being a bit pouty/whiny about not being able to use Black Knights...am I the only one getting that vibe?

"It should represent Las Vegas, it should represent the environment, it should be unique to Las Vegas," he said.

Because Black Knights obviously represent Vegas... I can think of at least a hundred names that would better represent Vegas. And bitching about the fact that the league doesn't want such a selfish and bad choice? What a clown...

1 hour ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

Yesterday's GM announcement also said they hope to release a name and logo by early October

10 hours ago, sparky chewbarky said:

If it has to be "Knights" I've suggested this...

knights%2001.jpg

I LOVE that helmet logo. 

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

11 hours ago, sparky chewbarky said:

If it has to be "Knights" I've suggested this...

LVK-01.jpg

Solid, though I think too Atlanta Thrashers'ish for me.  While they're pouting about the name, hopefully the subsequent logo, whatever they're called, isn't a rush job mailed in.  

Their locale has the potential for mainstream brand in waiting me thinks.  If they overthink it, or take it for granted - massive fail.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

4 hours ago, Needschat said:

Wildcards would be a good choice, if the NHL denies Knights as the nickname.  

I believe "Black Knights" is the name that's being denied.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

On Thursday, July 14, 2016 at 4:41 PM, BeerGuyJordan said:

While I appreciate Foley's efforts in landing Vegas its first major league sports franchise, I really think he he is a little too married to this "Black Knights or bust" mindset (this, his joke that after paying $500 million, he should be able to name the team what he wants, and complete unwillingness to hold a name the team contest). The name has been met with mostly negative views from the fans. There is a good opportunity for him to build a brand but if he sticks to his guns and force feeds a name people seem to dislike, he will get off to a tough start with the fans. I realize Aces (which is what a majority of Vegas residents want the team called) is out of the picture due to Bettman putting a "no gambling references" criteria on the franchise's new moniker; but there has to be a middle ground. 

Texas.gif

UNPOPULAR OPINION

I like Knights. The name itself is underused in American sports, there's a potential for very cool imagery, and said out loud "Las Vegas Knights" is evocative of the city's nightlife and party vibe.

I'm hoping this gets done. 

Archived