Springfield Thunderbirds; A Concept

timberwolf

Hey all! Taking a brief break from my defunct series to give you a fresh AHL redesign. The Springfield Thunderbirds unveiled their new logo recently, designed by @McElroy19, a guy I've gotten advice from numerous times in the last couple years. If the team extended their gig to uniforms, I'm sure they'll be good. That isn't going to stop me from trying though :).

Some features...

Colours - I really like the colour scheme, except for one thing. I thought the red was a bit unnecessary, but I don't mind it. For the sake of differentiating from the rest of the league, I went with a double blue and yellow slick. Sky blue is the primary colour, to seperate them again from regular blue teams.

Striping - I tried to emulate the three bars in the back of the logo (as you can see) and create some flow throughout the set. I also added a unique flair by matching up the stripes so that sky blue would never mix with navy and white. Sounds confusing, I know, but you'll see what I mean below. The sky blue placements on the road uniform simply balance the colours.

Name and Numbers - I went with yellow numbers and a bold outline to stand out in an arena and a navy blue namebar to resemble the logos typeface style. Compare them to see what I'm referring to.

Flag Patch - This is an obvious nod to their parent club and the flag of Massachusetts. As with a little reference to their colours.

Panthers Logo Placement - This is to fit with a military theme and to make them unique among the AHL.

Let me know what you think!

image.png

I like these a lot. Awesome job!  They fit well, but the bolts on the pants allude too much to Tampa. If they were the parent club it'd be all the more fitting, but feels a little weird having the in-state rival's affiliate use them. 

This is great I think you did a great job tying everything together and it totally works. from an execution stand point I would make your shoulder numbers a bit bigger maybe drop the flags size down a little bit and move the FL patch to the shoulder. Remember most AHL teams have ad's on their jerseys so you'd need to make room for that. But you've got a great concept here.

💻linktr.ee/McElroy19 // ✍️ Graphic Design — Vegas Golden Knights. //✏️ Sports Logos and Uniforms
✨✨Let’s work together!! ✨✨

The logo without the red is a big improvement (please don't roast me, Matt)

Personally, I feel like the extra navy stripe is unnecessary, but it looks solid the way it is currently. The stripes also take up a good amount of the jersey, so I'd try diminishing their size a tad. The nameplates a bit gimmicky and seem forced. The numbers would probably look best being white with a double outline of navy and gold. These are really just nit picks though as I do feel like it's currently a solid concept.

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

The design of the jerseys are awesome also a nodd to the state of Massachusetts is well-thought but the plain white flag makes it hard to see the reference (had to google it, wasn't sure anymore). The flag's shield is very unique, may you want to fit the Thunderbird in there.
If you use the Panthers' logo you could may recolor it matching the bird (just an idea, it could fit better)

The pant's thunderbolts are pure gold!

Archived