Great Sports Moments Ruined by Terrible Uniforms.

Germanshepherd

8 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

Good thought on the Fisk home run.  I've seen it a hundred times (probably more) and some of those times, that's the only thing I can think about.  That really should have been in the classic uniform with a blue helmet.

Man, in the late 1970s and early 1980s, just about everyone was going non-traditional.  Even the Cubs home jersey was a pullover for a while.  The Yankees, I don't think, ever went for any beltless / pullover look.  The Dodgers.  The Tigers (at home; they did go pullover on the road).  Even the Greatest Fans in Baseball had to look at pullovers and elastic waistlines ("sansabelts?").  

So, I went to Dressed to the Nines and looked at 1977.

Uniforms I'd call traditional (out of 26 teams): 

• Tigers (home only)
  • Yankees
  • Dodgers
  • Mets

Not too bad:

• Expos (belts and buttons; I'm only dinging them for the powder blue and three-tone hat...but for a then-modern team, not bad)
  • Phillies (zippers; I think...only dinging them for powder blue)

Thumbs-down to everyone else.  Mostly beltless pullovers.  Baltimore had buttons.  Atlanta had belts and pullovers.

Even giving the Phillies and Expos a pass, that's 5.5 teams doing it right and 20.5 going beltless and/or pullover (mostly both).  And I'd definitely say the Red Sox top the list of teams that should not have done that.  

It was easily the worst era for baseball uniforms. Outlandish colors, beltless pants, and pullovers just does not suit the overall aesthetic of the game. It's no different from sleeved basketball uniforms or tucked in hockey jerseys (which thankfully we were spared from).

Each sport develops a certain aesthetic over time, and when there's a trend that radically departs from that aesthetic, it's going to look awful (and thankfully, rarely ever sticks). Baseball unquestionably has the most conservative aesthetic of the "major" team sports (in America at least, so not counting cricket), so even something as simple as a pullover, rather than button-down, is going to make a large swath of fans cringe.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

100% nitpicking here but it's the fact that the last 2 NBA seasons don't have the NBA logo in front.

nba-finals-game-5-lebron-curry.jpg

The logo, especially the finals patch, is just better to look at when it's on the front of the jersey

f1bf1ce21ffb2f0173ca511198bc9ffa_crop_no

rather than the back.

nba-finals-game-1.jpg

XM4KeeA.png

3 hours ago, kroywen said:

It was easily the worst era for baseball uniforms. Outlandish colors, beltless pants, and pullovers just does not suit the overall aesthetic of the game. It's no different from sleeved basketball uniforms or tucked in hockey jerseys (which thankfully we were spared from).

Each sport develops a certain aesthetic over time, and when there's a trend that radically departs from that aesthetic, it's going to look awful (and thankfully, rarely ever sticks). Baseball unquestionably has the most conservative aesthetic of the "major" team sports (in America at least, so not counting cricket), so even something as simple as a pullover, rather than button-down, is going to make a large swath of fans cringe.

I actually like most of the powder-blue roads...should this go in "unpopular opinions"?

1 hour ago, insert name said:

100% nitpicking here but it's the fact that the last 2 NBA seasons don't have the NBA logo in front.

nba-finals-game-5-lebron-curry.jpg

The logo, especially the finals patch, is just better to look at when it's on the front of the jersey

f1bf1ce21ffb2f0173ca511198bc9ffa_crop_no

rather than the back.

nba-finals-game-1.jpg

I agree, the lack of the front patch always bothered me. However, the last two champions jerseys havent bothered me as much with the nba patch aspect because the cavs won it with a number where the patch would be and the warriors jersey doesn't look out of place without the nba patch due to the logo size.

4 hours ago, Morgo said:

Even the navy version blows the sleeved, BFBS, alts out of the water...  Still don't understand their aversion to wearing the "w(h)ines" in the playoffs.

Because it would be too insulting to LeBron James...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

On 6/22/2016 at 9:00 AM, kroywen said:

It's funny as a kid I used to watch these half hour highlights packages that would recap each year of the College World Series. The 80's years looked so goofy to me with the tall stirrups, pullovers, tight uniforms, sansabelts, paneled caps, etc. Just so very dated.

Then I turn on the Oklahoma State game from a few nights ago and OSU is wearing pullovers with giant stripes, a few years ago teams started mimicking the White Sox Beach Towels, and the Astros tequila sunrise. I don't think a team will ever go back to sansabelt pants ever again, but at least in College and the minors there are pullover jerseys making a comeback. It's a matter of time before a major league team tries it again on a new, not throwback jersey. What's old is new again. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

The black sleeved jerseys aren't that bad. Honestly, it's better than most of the sleeved jerseys teams have rolled out in recent years. It's obviously not the best one out of their entire set, but I can live with it. I think a bigger contender for this thread would be if the Clippers had won the championship in their black alts while playing the Hawks, but neither of those teams got that close to the Finals so..... 

Actually, my only problem is the placement of the Finals patch. It's always looked much better in the front.

10 hours ago, McCarthy said:

It's funny as a kid I used to watch these half hour highlights packages that would recap each year of the College World Series. The 80's years looked so goofy to me with the tall stirrups, pullovers, tight uniforms, sansabelts, paneled caps, etc. Just so very dated.

Then I turn on the Oklahoma State game from a few nights ago and OSU is wearing pullovers with giant stripes, a few years ago teams started mimicking the White Sox Beach Towels, and the Astros tequila sunrise. I don't think a team will ever go back to sansabelt pants ever again, but at least in College and the minors there are pullover jerseys making a comeback. It's a matter of time before a major league team tries it again on a new, not throwback jersey. What's old is new again. 

I saw that OSU game, and thought their uniforms looked painfully dated themselves. I know pulovers have gained some popularity at the college level (perhaps in part because they may be cheaper to produce/purchase than button-downs?), but they still don't look any better to me.

I would agree that we'll see a major league team try it on a new jersey at some point. Perhaps an alternate at first, rather than a primary, but neither would surprise me. I thought the D-Backs had a good chance of introducing a pullover with their recent rebrand, but that may be the one nice thing I can say about said rebrand - it would've been that much worse with a pullover. I would not be surprised if the Pads introduce a pullover with their expected rebrand, especially if they go back to brown in some form.

Speaking to the Cavs jerseys in the Finals. 

Firstly, I had been rooting to see the road wines all playoffs long. But the team apparently loves the navy alts, so they played every road game in them. Whatever, I guess I can live without seeing my team in wine and gold repping Cleveland on the chest.

But then Game 5 came and suddenly we are wearing our end of the bench black t-shirt alt that I wish was never invented. LeBron hated them earlier in the season and now they are bumping my WINE JERSEYS!?

This uniform has the hallmarks of a bad jersey. BFBS. Sleeves in bball. Logo instead of wordmark. 

But three things in defense of these jerseys:

1) It was a deliberate move to set the tone for the team. They had their backs against the wall and were receiving tons of flack. They needed to own it all and be willing to be anything, including the villain, to win. Ironically, by accepting the role of villain they all became heroes.

2) Strictly aesthetically (not taking uniform norms into account) it's not a bad look. The wine and gold C on black looks beautiful, even if I didn't ask for it on a jersey. I would argue that black works better with those colors than the usual navy blue they use everywhere.

3) The people are kind of loving it. The black is associated with winning now. They won in black in Game 5. The crowd had a blackout for the win in Game 6. The curse was broken in black.

So in a strange set of circumstances I have come to love these jerseys in spite of themselves. They represent the greatest achievement in sports history (I'm biased, don't even argue with me).

Archived