How long will the current baseball stadiums last?

Ark

I've yet to see a stadium that legitimately "rejuvenated" a part of a city. The more j think about it, I'm very glad that the Phillies weren't able to figure out a way to build their park in the grid. Would have made a lot of the development we're seeing impossible. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

13 hours ago, Ark said:

They need a new Vikings stadium-style Dome with a transparent roof.

A mountain view would be nice too.

You make a good point. It would be really nice for the Rockies to have a park with a mountain view. I mean, could you imagine the sunsets at that ballpark every summer night? Beautiful, but not until we replace that drab Coors Field with a new Vikings stadium style dome that finally gives us that perfect mountain view. Here's a rough mock up of how that might look.

sunset.jpg

22 hours ago, the admiral said:

AT&T Park is going to be around next to forever. They built it with private money and you can't beat the real estate. How do you move up from what they have?

Comiskey Park will be the next park to close before its time after Turner and Arlington.

Yeah it really depends on how good the parks were when they opened. I can see parks like AT&T Park, Petco Park, Camden Yards, Safeco Field, etc... being around for decades if not a century. They're well built, have plenty of revenue streams, and importantly have prime locations. The ones being replaced seemingly before their time are the ones that weren't built entirely to the Camden/AT&T model. Turner Field was built on the cheap and as an Olympic park and is shows. Arlington wasn't built with a roof in a place that desperately needs it and was built in BFE so it's not like it's an organic part of it's city like some of the other post Camden Parks. While they all should last for 50+ years I agree that I can see a compromised park like New Comiskey being replaced in the too soon future. But I have a feeling many of the 90's and later parks will become their generation's Wrigleys, Fenways and Dodger Stadiums.

7 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I've yet to see a stadium that legitimately "rejuvenated" a part of a city. 

I'd argue for Nationals Parks being the catalyst for a lot of the projects going on in that part of DC since it's opening. Wasn't really much there before other than the Navy Yard. Now.... lots ridiculously overpriced apartments/condos and parking.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Not sure why anyone would want to live near a stadium. Also not sure how something with such a limited appeal (for as many baseball fans as there are, there are more people who couldn't care less) and is only used 81 times per year (with concerts and a few other events on top) can be the catalyst for high-end development. 

Nobody wants to live near a convention center. Most cities' convention centers are in seedy parts of town - they attract seed. I look at stadiums the same way, only they're like sports convention centers. Fun at the convention, but not the kind of place to hang out ne'er when it ain't baseballcon. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

After my visit to US Cellular last month, I honestly can't see it being replaced anytime too soon. Sure, Texas is replacing their gorgeous stadium for a new ballpark but considering there has been over $100 Million worth of renovations into the Cell over the last 10 years, I don't see them getting a new one for at least another 10-15 years (still kinda soon, but 40 years isn't too bad nowadays). Also, I still think Chase Field will be the next park being replaced considering the Diamondbacks need their "state of the art" ballpark.

Sporting Venue Count (for games): OHL: 19 (28 Total)- 770 games (after 18-19),

MLB: 13 (15 Total), NHL: 4

Also look at leases and other agreements. Generally parks magically become obsolete a few years before leases are up.  

Archived