2016 NBA Offseason thread

Cujo

1 hour ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I'm really pleased with the Joe Johnson deal. Good deal in and of itself so far as the contract is concerned, and I think he'll add a good offensive jolt off the bench, even if he may not be in his prime anymore. Still a proven scorer capable of getting buckets, and the Jazz could always use whatever help they can get on that end. So far between getting Hill, a solid 2nd rd pick in Bolomboy, and getting Johnson, the Jazz have really scored this offseason in my mind. 

Agreed- Plus Hayward, Gobert, Hood and Favors will all be a year better. I think they're a playoff team for sure. Dallas has taken a step back, I don't see the Blazers duplicating what they did last year (I could be mistaken, especially if they snag a big man), Houston, if they don't plug up their gaping hole in the middle, won't be back. And there really isn't much left if they can't snag Horford. 

Same and/or better- 

Golden State

LA Clippers

San Antonio

Oklahoma City (assuming KD re-signs)

Memphis

Better-

Utah

New Orleans (a healthy Pelicans team will be a playoff team no doubt)

Minnesota- will be better, but still no playoffs

Worse- 

Dallas

Portland

Houston

Bottom of the barrel-

Sacramento

Denver

Phoenix

LA Lakers

With a clear top 5, I think Utah and New Orleans are the next best 2 teams, leaving one more playoff spot open, which I think the Blazers or Rockets will snag.

sig.png

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Maybe Howard needed to head back East to pick up his game where he left it (in Orlando). Atlanta might be just what he needs- or it could be absolute disaster (my bet)

Indiana is looking scary as hell, especially now with Al Jefferson. 

Looks like a mass exodus out of Charlotte. I mean, losing Jeremy Lin isn't the end of the world- you have Kemba Walker. But Al Jefferson is IMO one of the most underrated centers in the league. 

Nice move by the Jazz adding Joe Johnson. I think he'll fit in nicely there. 

In order:

ATL will still struggle next season as Dennis Schroëder is going to start and play much more. He is very shoot first and tries to outrun everyone. That cannot work for Dwight who needs pick & roll to be good.

IND has Nate McMillan as HC and he can only get them to 50 wins at best because he is a .510 coach overall.

Charlotte kept their second best player and that's a good thing.

I don't know what to make of the Jazz since they're basically "Bucks West".

23 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

In order:

ATL will still struggle next season as Dennis Schroëder is going to start and play much more. He is very shoot first and tries to outrun everyone. That cannot work for Dwight who needs pick & roll to be good.

IND has Nate McMillan as HC and he can only get them to 50 wins at best because he is a .510 coach overall.

Charlotte kept their second best player and that's a good thing.

True, but Hinrich is a better than average back up that will get back up towards the 20 MPG mark now that Teague's gone. I wouldn't say they'll struggle. They're not making the ECF, but they're still a 45 win team without Horford. With him, I'd say over 50 easily. 

sig.png

If Nate McMillan is coaching again, it seems like Paul Silas should have a job too.

Dallas is having a worse go than LA, IMO. They made the playoffs last year because Dirk is incredible (and probably underrated as one of the all-time greats), but they've whiffed three years in a row on free agents. They don't build through the draft so I don't know what's left for them. If Dirk walks to GS (which feels unlikely but who knows anymore), or when he retires, how does that franchise rebuild?

Also, Biyambo to Orlando. Whatever. I hope it works for them. Valancuinas is the better player. 

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

29 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

If Nate McMillan is coaching again, it seems like Paul Silas should have a job too.

Dallas is having a worse go than LA, IMO. They made the playoffs last year because Dirk is incredible (and probably underrated as one of the all-time greats), but they've whiffed three years in a row on free agents. They don't build through the draft so I don't know what's left for them. If Dirk walks to GS (which feels unlikely but who knows anymore), or when he retires, how does that franchise rebuild?

Also, Biyambo to Orlando. Whatever. I hope it works for them. Valancuinas is the better player. 

Under Mark Cuban, Dallas doesn't care about the draft...yet.

However, they do have their 1st round picks for 2017-19.  The 2017 draft will be loaded and very deep! 

They could trade the '18 or '19 slot for a current player, possibly a cap dump, and keep the '17 pick and enter the lottery.

OTOH, Rick Carlisle doesn't like rookies either, so ..... yea, they must trade to get talent.

50 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Paul Silas isn't coaching because of all of these player run-ins, plus others not publicly known. The one involving Ira Newbill is talked about by both Lebatard and Bomani on their radio shows.

Same with Lionel Hollins. Players hate that older, possibly bitter, black coach.

4 hours ago, dfwabel said:

I'll admit that I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that, but I'm at least assuming that you mean "young team with loads of potential but we aren't sure when it'll materialize, if ever." If so, then I sort of agree. If not...fill me in? :P 

There seems to be a feeling here (and I share this feeling) that this is absolutely the year the Jazz need to break through, or else this great youth project is a bust. Not quite the project-in-flames that "D-Will to Boozer: The Second Coming of Stockton to Malone" was, but it'll be pretty disheartening nonetheless. The team's had ample time to develop and improve, and this is the point in the timeline where we've expected them to be a respectable factor in the West. By the activity they've had this offseason, it appears the front office understands that as well, thankfully.

The hard part about figuring out this Jazz core is that they've only had flashes so far of proving themselves and have crapped the bed a little too often in crucial situations, and getting their rear handed to them by Kobe's Farewell Tour Inc. on national freaking television was not at all a good impression of capping the season off. And true, they were injured often, but they were still in the hunt in the last week of the season - and were healthy - but fell apart even still.

In short, they haven't proven themselves enough in my mind to really determine where they're headed. I think we all know where they should be headed - with all that potential, they should eventually be pretty dad-gum good - but I can't really say that I'm 100% confident quite yet that they're on their way. Hopeful, but not concrete. This is the year when we're going to figure it out. I'm crossing my fingers and throwing all my pennies in the fountain that these (pretty good) moves are going to help get them over the hump, and that the team we've been waiting for over here is finally going to materialize.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

The Sacramento Kings free agent period so far:

- Arron Affalo: 2 years, $25M (previously $8M with NYK)

- Anthony Tolliver: 2 years, $16M (previously $3M with Detroit)

- Garrett Temple: 3 years, $24M (previously $1.1M with Washington)

Average age of these guys is 30. I know they need to spend but I thought they'd at least be one of the dumbass franchises throwing max money at bad talent. They're throwing big money at nobodies. It's good for them and the NBPA, but I have no idea what it's supposed to do for the team.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

If we can still diss on Hinkie and "the Process" I ended up on an archive binge looking at articles ripping him.  Since I don't go out of my way to read 13-page Jeremiads from dip :censored: s with MBAs who would otherwise be ruining our economy, I missed this beauty of a passage until today.

I inherited Marlene Barnes as my executive assistant, a widowed lifelong Philadelphian that joined the Sixers in the fall of 1977. I was born in the winter of 1977. Marlene has worked for 11 different GMs and 5 head coaches at the Sixers. The names evoke many memories for you lifelong Sixers fans and students of history like me: Pat Williams, John Nash, Gene Shue, Jim Lynam, John Lucas, Brad Greenberg, Larry Brown, Billy King, Ed Stefanski, Rod Thorn. With us, she was immediately thrown into a new, more entrepreneurial work environment with a boss full of quirks different than any she had ever encountered. She adapted wonderfully, and now is a regular Slack wizard along with much of our staff, has seamlessly plugged into one productivity hack after another, and has ordered more books from Amazon than she ever thought possible. Her presence served as an everyday reminder to me of the impermanence of my leadership. I told her within a few weeks of working together that when I see her in the mornings I’m reminded that I am a steward—today’s steward—of her Sixers.

Based on that lead in, the fact that Marlene never once slipped arsenic into your Starbucks order is grounds for Sainthood.  Every breath you take is a testament to her almost superhuman generosity and patience and certainly deserves more thanks than a single paragraph of corporate bull :censored: praising her adaptability.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

34 minutes ago, rams80 said:

If we can still diss on Hinkie and "the Process" I ended up on an archive binge looking at articles ripping him.  Since I don't go out of my way to read 13-page Jeremiads from dip :censored: s with MBAs who would otherwise be ruining our economy, I missed this beauty of a passage until today.

Based on that lead in, the fact that Marlene never once slipped arsenic into your Starbucks order is grounds for Sainthood.  Every breath you take is a testament to her almost superhuman generosity and patience and certainly deserves more thanks than a single paragraph of corporate bull :censored: praising her adaptability.

Let's not gloss over the fact that he said "impermanence".  I love this guy more and more every time I read stuff like that!

In other Sixers news - I'm not sure who Jamal Crawford is, but the word on the street is that he's going to sign with the Sixers.  This is based on them meeting him, and then him "following" a bunch of Sixers on Twitter, and "favoriting" or "liking" that he is "trending" in Philadelphia.  Since I've never heard of him, I can only estimate that his deal will be for 3 years and $295M.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

13 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Let's not gloss over the fact that he said "impermanence".  I love this guy more and more every time I read stuff like that!

In other Sixers news - I'm not sure who Jamal Crawford is, but the word on the street is that he's going to sign with the Sixers.  This is based on them meeting him, and then him "following" a bunch of Sixers on Twitter, and "favoriting" or "liking" that he is "trending" in Philadelphia.  Since I've never heard of him, I can only estimate that his deal will be for 3 years and $295M.

He is a good 3 point shooter, and that's about it

Jamal Crawford was sixth man of the year last season, and generally best suited for that role. He scores in bunches, has the ability to go supernova for a quarter or so, and unlike most Clippers, keeps his head screwed on straight. He's the definition of a gun for hire. I don't know what that gives the Sixers exactly, but Crawford is a solid NBA talent.

EDIT:

Or maybe not:

Rondo to Chicago for 2 years/$28M. Rondo is great, but Chicago just dumped a PG in favor of Butler. Granted, Rondo is a pass-first PG, but Butler needs the ball to be successful, right? What's Rondo going to do? Rebound all night?

15 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Rondo to Chicago for 2 years/$28M. Rondo is great, but Chicago just dumped a PG in favor of Butler. Granted, Rondo is a pass-first PG, but Butler needs the ball to be successful, right? What's Rondo going to do? Rebound all night?

He is there to beat down kids in games of Connect Four.

I'm grateful as hell I didn't grow up a Bulls fan.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

On 01/07/2016 at 10:31 AM, Kramerica Industries said:

I'm no basketball expert, but, umm, DeMar DeRozan got $27.8M annually for the next five years (5/$139M)? Umm...the DeRozan's of the world are worth that much? 

Umm...ok.

I'm okay with that.  5yrs isn't an eternity & he's been pretty healthy forever.  I also like them drafting another big to go with/backup JV.  More of the same, & yet they took 2 games from the eventual champs when it mattered.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Archived