2016 NBA Offseason thread

Cujo

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jared Sullinger signed a one-year deal with Toronto. Assuming he doesn't spend his offseason at Tim Horton's, that might be a good pick-up for the Raptors. I'd say he's at least even with Biyambo for career performance, and he's younger.

D'Angelo Russell is winning the Summer League. I've believed in him since he was a rookie, and was said to see Byron Scott work so hard to destroy his career last season. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see him take a significant leap this year. He's playing second season as a pro, he has a coach who believes in him, and he clearly wants to succeed in LA. That's a good combo of factors for a young guard.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

19 hours ago, DG_Now said:

As much I'm rooting against the Warriors, I think the LeSean McCoy experience shows you need to wait until all the facts come in. For his sake, I hope it was a dumb bar fight and not something terrible. Draymond is loud, but I never got the impression he was actually a bad guy.

The facts never came out in the LeSean McCoy case.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 6/30/2016 at 6:41 PM, DG_Now said:

NBA free agent moves: deadline predictions!

Nic Batum: INDIANA
Kevin Durant: OKC

Al Horford: GOLDEN STATE

Pau Gasol: SAN ANTONIO

Hassan Whitesides: LA LAKERS

Chandler Parsons: ORLANDO

Al Jefferson: MEMPHIS

Timofey Mozgov: SACRAMENTO

Matthew Dellavedova: DETROIT

Dirk Nowitzki: DALLAS

Harrison Barnes: SACRAMENTO

Dwight Howard: DALLAS

Mike Conley: SAN ANTONIO

Dion Waiters: BROOKLYN

Rajon Rondo: PHILADELPHIA

DeMar DeRozan: TORONTO

Now that free agency is basically over, I've been meaning to come back to this. How did I do?

Nic Batum: INDIANA  -- WRONG
Kevin Durant: OKC -- WRONG

Al Horford: GOLDEN STATE -- WRONG

Pau Gasol: SAN ANTONIO -- RIGHT

Hassan Whitesides: LA LAKERS -- WRONG

Chandler Parsons: ORLANDO -- WRONG

Al Jefferson: MEMPHIS -- WRONG

Timofey Mozgov: SACRAMENTO -- WRONG

Matthew Dellavedova: DETROIT -- WRONG

Dirk Nowitzki: DALLAS -- RIGHT

Harrison Barnes: SACRAMENTO -- WRONG

Dwight Howard: DALLAS -- WRONG

Mike Conley: SAN ANTONIO -- WRONG

Dion Waiters: BROOKLYN -- TBD!

Rajon Rondo: PHILADELPHIA -- WRONG

DeMar DeRozan: TORONTO -- RIGHT

Yikes!

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

NBA tries to address the hack-a-Shaq.

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/07/12/nba-rule-changes-hack-fouls-deandre-jordan-andre-drummond

Weird.  The last two minutes of a quarter?  Is there any special significance to the last two minutes of the first quarter?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, OnWis97 said:

NBA tries to address the hack-a-Shaq.

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/07/12/nba-rule-changes-hack-fouls-deandre-jordan-andre-drummond

Weird.  The last two minutes of a quarter?  Is there any special significance to the last two minutes of the first quarter?

It takes away the team committing the foul to obtain a 2 for 1 at the end ofba quarter. Pop and the Spurs loved to do it.

http://chrispassmore.blogspot.com/2012/06/gregg-popovich-and-spurs-intentional.html?m=1

Pop and the Spurs also lost the first round series against the Clippers following that approach. They put DJ at the line all the time and it didn't work.

I'm ambivalent to the rule. I do think players should make their free throws, but I also get the entertainment aspect of pro sports. So, whatever. Bailing out big guys seems kind of lame, but off the ball fouls to put then on the line seems like a cheat code to begin with.

17 hours ago, DG_Now said:

It's FINALLY time for Waiters to meet his destiny and join the Knicks. He just has to.

Another one of incompetent top-4 picks of Chris Grant that was obvious for everyone else but him.

10 minutes ago, truepg said:

Another one of incompetent top-4 picks of Chris Grant that was obvious for everyone else but him.

Hindsight always 20-20.

It was obvious he wasn't a good "fit" with Kyrie, but to sit back and say it was an obviously blown pick just wasn't the case 4 years ago.

10 hours ago, CLEstones said:

Hindsight always 20-20.

It was obvious he wasn't a good "fit" with Kyrie, but to sit back and say it was an obviously blown pick just wasn't the case 4 years ago.

A very questionable pick at best at the time. Dion, 6th man on his college team, a small combo guard, wasn't projected that high, and started being mentioned only linked to the Cavs interest in him at the #4 pick. Are you gonna say he was a "bad fit" with the Thunder too?

Tristan Thompson was projected in the late lottery, and while a serviceable role player, didn't warrant the 4th pick and was considered a huge reach at the time.

Marvin Williams, a #2 pick by Grant while with Atlanta, barely saw playing time in his college team's NCAA championship game. Yes, Marvin Williams, the role player throughout all of his career.

Anthony Bennett. While there wasn't a clear-cut #1 candidate that year, nobody saw Bennett getting drafted first overall.

13 hours ago, truepg said:

A very questionable pick at best at the time. Dion, 6th man on his college team, a small combo guard, wasn't projected that high, and started being mentioned only linked to the Cavs interest in him at the #4 pick. Are you gonna say he was a "bad fit" with the Thunder too?

Tristan Thompson was projected in the late lottery, and while a serviceable role player, didn't warrant the 4th pick and was considered a huge reach at the time.

Marvin Williams, a #2 pick by Grant while with Atlanta, barely saw playing time in his college team's NCAA championship game. Yes, Marvin Williams, the role player throughout all of his career.

Anthony Bennett. While there wasn't a clear-cut #1 candidate that year, nobody saw Bennett getting drafted first overall.

Waiters was slotted at 7.  So for the Cavs to take him at 4 isn't questionable.  Waiters should have been a starter, but he was most effective coming off the bench for Boeheim.  4th quarter, OT, crunch time, Waiters was always on the floor and one of the top options, and one of the best players in the Big East.

Tristan Thompson was a ridiculous reach, both at the time, and in hindsight.  I can't much complain now though, seeing what they are paying him compared to what guys with less production are getting this offseason.

Bennett I didn't see an issue with.  There was no clear cut number one.  And Bennett was never intended to be an impact player from day 1.  When they selected him, they were hoping for a return on investment 3 years down the road.  Working with other young players, with eventually David Blatt as the head coach.  He was a player with a unique skill set that they were hoping to develop.  I guess you can say they should have taken McLemore or MAYBE Otto Porter with the #1 pick... but hard to make an argument when the most impact players 3 years later weren't anywhere near a #1 overall pick at the time.

Again, not saying Grant drafted well, by any means.  But at the time of the Waiters pick, the strategy was best available.  Take the best player on your board, and trade for needed pieces.  Draft talent, trade needs.  Waiters fit better with OKC because he didn't have to be the #2 and he had other guys who could space the floor like KD, Singler, and Morrow.  Even Westbrook you had to respect out there.  His short time with the Cavs had no floor spacing at all.

Archived