2016 NBA Offseason thread

Cujo

33 minutes ago, Cujo said:
Didn't see this one coming!

Three years is the weird number; I thought he would have done a 1 and 1. Russ can make $9M more this year by signing an extension, and his 10-year rights next, meaning his contract after that can take up to 35% of the cap. 

I bet Presti put the screws to him -- either sign an extension or get traded to Bumsville wherever. I'd have to assume that third year is an option, but who knows. 

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Three years is the weird number; I thought he would have done a 1 and 1. Russ can make $9M more this year by signing an extension, and his 10-year rights next, meaning his contract after that can take up to 35% of the cap. 

I bet Presti put the screws to him -- either sign an extension or get traded to Bumsville wherever. I'd have to assume that third year is an option, but who knows. 

2019-20 is a player option.

This contract is still very tradable for some team who has assets.

Vertical already updated the Thunder salary schedule.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/okc/salary/

Just now, dfwabel said:

2019-20 is a player option.

This contract is still very tradable for some team who has assets.

Vertical already updated the Thunder salary schedule.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/okc/salary/

So 16-17, 17-18, 18-19 guaranteed to OKC? It sucks about Durant, but Presti is incredible. That's a long time for Westbrook to be dedicated to a team that might have stalled out. 

Though we'll see how the Blake Griffin chase goes. I'm not sure what they have to offer without gutting their core -- I'd ask for two out of Adams, Roberson, Sabonis Jr and picks -- but we'll see. If they can add Blake, a team with Russ/Blake/Adams/Oladipo/Roberson and a decent bench (Kanter and friends) could look pretty good.

I wonder if there was an offer on the table from the Lakers. Last I heard they hadn't signed Ingram. Ingram and D'Angelo for Westbrook would have been a bad trade, but that's what I saw was out there. The Lakers will probably miss the playoffs again this year, but it probably all comes together for the young guys in 17-18. Russell/Clarkson/Randle/Ingram/Nance could be the Warriors of 19/20/21. They've made the most of their recent drafts. 

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

On 7/28/2016 at 9:54 PM, Lights Out said:

Let's be real - Ballmer's not going to move from being a tenant in one arena to being a tenant in another one. He's also not leaving LA for Anaheim - even Sterling wasn't dumb enough to make that move.

I hear there's a toxic waste dump in Carson that no one will be needing.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 8/2/2016 at 0:48 PM, Saint Zephyr III said:

To be fair, he is the first professional athlete to complete the Dick Move Hat Trick (being a dick, hitting a dick, and showing his dick).  Quite an accomplishment!

He got offered a role in "Drayzilla" after his dick went on display. It's been a surreal couple of months for Mr. Green.

28 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

So 16-17, 17-18, 18-19 guaranteed to OKC? It sucks about Durant, but Presti is incredible. That's a long time for Westbrook to be dedicated to a team that might have stalled out. 

Though we'll see how the Blake Griffin chase goes. I'm not sure what they have to offer without gutting their core -- I'd ask for two out of Adams, Roberson, Sabonis Jr and picks -- but we'll see. If they can add Blake, a team with Russ/Blake/Adams/Oladipo/Roberson and a decent bench (Kanter and friends) could look pretty good.

I wonder if there was an offer on the table from the Lakers. Last I heard they hadn't signed Ingram. Ingram and D'Angelo for Westbrook would have been a bad trade, but that's what I saw was out there. The Lakers will probably miss the playoffs again this year, but it probably all comes together for the young guys in 17-18. Russell/Clarkson/Randle/Ingram/Nance could be the Warriors of 19/20/21. They've made the most of their recent drafts. 

Before Presti gets love, they lost Durant for nothing and the Harden trade to HOU basically only got them Steven Adams. They kept Ibaka, didn't win and flipped him to ORL to Oladipo who averages just 16/game.

I'll give a pass on Durant because this was an unprecedented offseason, and Durant seems like a flake. Ibaka is past his prime and Oladipo might be a great third option (if he's the second guy, that might be a problem). Plus they got Junior Sabonis, who is at least interesting. 

The Harden deal will always be terrible though. 

13 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

I'll give a pass on Durant because this was an unprecedented offseason, and Durant seems like a flake. Ibaka is past his prime and Oladipo might be a great third option (if he's the second guy, that might be a problem). Plus they got Junior Sabonis, who is at least interesting. 

The Harden deal will always be terrible though. 

OKC will never attract free agents, just like 24 of the 30 NBA franchises outside of the once every three year WTF signings.

DG, since you and I have followed the NBA, times have really changed in terms of shoe contracts, social media, and other endorsements.  Even in 2016,  no dudes really want to play where the winters are cold and in flyover country. Free agents signed up this year as the $$$ was too great, yet cats like Waiters and JR Smith failed greatly.

10 hours ago, the admiral said:

I hear there's a toxic waste dump in Carson that no one will be needing.

I think Ballmer will either per$uade Stan Kroenke to sell him a parcel of the Hollywood Park land, or he'll find somewhere closer to the current practice facility.  Hell, Playa Vista itself (where the Clippers' facility is) would be a nice site if not for the development already in place; the rest of the land is protected wetlands.  Plus for Ballmer being a tech guy, Google/YouTube, EA, and a few other computer media companies have regional offices/HQs there...he's been working on creating a new streaming service for the team's games, as now the team's local TV contract with Fox expired after the season.

1 hour ago, MadmanLA said:

I think Ballmer will either per$uade Stan Kroenke to sell him a parcel of the Hollywood Park land, or he'll find somewhere closer to the current practice facility.  Hell, Playa Vista itself (where the Clippers' facility is) would be a nice site if not for the development already in place; the rest of the land is protected wetlands.  Plus for Ballmer being a tech guy, Google/YouTube, EA, and a few other computer media companies have regional offices/HQs there...he's been working on creating a new streaming service for the team's games, as now the team's local TV contract with Fox expired after the season.

The Forum is right across the street from the City of Champions Stadium.  Another venue there?

15 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

The Forum is right across the street from the City of Champions Stadium.  Another venue there?

True enough, but the Forum is strictly a concert venue now (and they maybe host one or two concerts a month to begin with).  I could see MSG fighting it, but it wouldn't be competition in terms of hosting sporting events.  Hell, it wouldn't be that much different than along the Figueroa Street corridor on the south edge of Downtown L.A.--the Coliseum/(the soon-to-be-demolished) Sports Arena, Galen Center, and Staples Center are all spaced within a mile or so from each other.

27 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

FYI, the Lowe Post podcast with Jack McCallum concerning the 1992 Dream Team is fantastic.

Indeed. That was a good one. Not surprisingly, Barkley was crazy and Michael was insane.

2 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Indeed. That was a good one. Not surprisingly, Barkley was crazy and Michael was insane.

I didn't read the book, but the Clyde Drexler bitterness is what I expected.

Man, former NBA brothers (regardless of race) get very salty.

Rick Barry or Oscar Robertson is the saltiest, but those two fight for that title themselves.

Just listened to TrueHoop with Stephen Jackson.  Incredibly funny. 

Jackson on Tim Duncan: 

Tim Duncan might know more UFC moves or more fight moves than anybody in the UFC.  Tim Duncan knows more about guns than anyone that's been to Iraq. Tim Duncan is probably First Team All-Painball.  This is when I knew that Tim Duncan had my back.  We were about to start camp and and we wanted to so something but Pop(ovich) vividly told us not to do not type of sports. Go to the movies. Go bowling, but no paintball because he knew that me and Tim loved paintball.  So we decide to go do paintball and I'm first pick in paintball and the main reason is that I've been shot at before, so I ain't worried about no paintball.  I ain't scare of that and Tim knowing that makes me first pick.  I'm out there just ghetto in Chuck Taylors and Dickies like I was doing a drive-by. 

So the Christmas day schedule was announced NBA Christmas Day: Celtics-Knicks, Warriors-Cavs, Bulls-Spurs, Timberwolves-Thunder, Clippers-Lakers. Would have swapped the Clippers with the T-wolves and have it be Clippers-Thunder and Timberwolves-Lakers both match ups would end up being better that way. 

uig7aiht8jnpl1szbi57zzlsh.gif4jzjfvwxifvemelyh9xjbnyr4.gifefvfv5b5g1zgpsf56gb04lthx.gif594153172016.gif

Kershaw is GOD! Kershaw is LIFE! Kershaw is ALL!

11 minutes ago, masterchaoss said:

So the Christmas day schedule was announced NBA Christmas Day: Celtics-Knicks, Warriors-Cavs, Bulls-Spurs, Timberwolves-Thunder, Clippers-Lakers. Would have swapped the Clippers with the T-wolves and have it be Clippers-Thunder and Timberwolves-Lakers both match ups would end up being better that way. 

LAC/LAL keeps the union happy as both teams get to remain home on Christmas Eve.

Two fun finds from NBA Reddit:

1. Sly Stallone with Boban and Andre the Drummond;:

CqO8IlJUMAA6-Xt.jpg

2. WTH? Melo (still with the Nuggets) collapses and the game continues around him:

Archived