2016 NBA Offseason thread

Cujo

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, the admiral said:

BOY SURE WOULD BE A SHAME IF TOM THIBODEAU MESSED WITH GAR FORMAN'S JOB I CAN'T IMAGINE WHY ANYONE WOULD WANT TO DO THAT.

I ACTUALLY CAN'T BECAUSE TOM THIBODEAU IS PRESIDENT OF BASKETBALL OPERATIONS FOR AN NBA FRANCHISE AND WOULD PRESUMABLY HAVE MORE PRESSING THINGS TO DO DURING THE NBA DRAFT THAN JUST FLICK WITH GAR FORMAN BECAUSE HE'S STILL BUTTSORE THAT HE WAS CANNED.

If that's true, a) it's hilarious and b}Tom Thibodeau goes in the Petty, Vengeful Bastard Hall of Fame, right next to Suge Knight. But it's almost certainly not true because the only person floating this theory is Ryan Baker, and he doesn't know anything. 

2 hours ago, 2001mark said:

Pascal Siakam played for Paul Weir at New Mexico St. Weir is a Canadian who played PG at York...started coaching at Don Bosco in Toronto.

re. Raps' #27 pick

Paul Weir was an assistant though.

Also Siakam is about as raw as he was when he started at NMSU because the coaches suck at everything not labeled "recruiting".

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

5 hours ago, tp49 said:

From what I've seen the Suns ended up with both Chriss and Bender.  The Kings acquired the Suns’ No. 13 and No. 28 picks and the rights to Serbian guard Bogdan Bogdanovic.

You're right; I read the ESPN graphic wrong.

If Chriss plays games, this could be really great for the Suns. The Kings remain a joke; I enjoyed Malachi Richardson leading the Cuse to a Final Four, but he basically had the one good game. Syracuse doesn't turn out good pros; teams would do well to remember this.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

59 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

You're right; I read the ESPN graphic wrong.

If Chriss plays games, this could be really great for the Suns. The Kings remain a joke; I enjoyed Malachi Richardson leading the Cuse to a Final Four, but he basically had the one good game. Syracuse doesn't turn out good pros; teams would do well to remember this.

You were giving the Kings far too much credit which caused me to double check.  The Kings organization is fast turning into an uncontrollable trash heap fire.  In a lot of ways they remind me of the Islanders right after Wang bought them with the difference being the Kings got a new building.  If I were a free agent I'd steer clear of Sacramento too.

Well, I guess I'm half pleased and half confused with the Jazz draft week haul. Trading for George Hill and grabbing Bolomboy where we did was awesome, and I truly couldn't be happier in that regard. 

It's our point guard spree at the end that's making me scratch my head a bit. I'm thinking either one of three things were behind it:

1) They're banking on Mack and/or Burke and/or Neto getting shipped out soon and figure 1 of the 2 picks can make it and be their 3rd PG behind Hill and Exum

2) They felt they'd met their total needs already and just spent the picks to try these guys out at camp (which would be dumb cause we still don't have a whole lot wing depth...unless they're aiming for that in free agency)

or

3) Dennis Lindsey's in the front office going all Benny from Lego Movie screaming "POINT GUARD! POINT GUARD! POINT GUARD!"

image.jpeg

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

So is anyone who drafted 3-8 going to want to trade for Nerlens Noel or Jalil Okefor, or is that plan scrapped now that the draft is over?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Okafor doesn't play defense but can score. Noel can't score but is a good defender. They both play the same position and can't play together. In hindsight, maybe Justice Winslow or Stanley Johnson would have been the better pick last year. Oh well.

In today's NBA, I'm not sure what a bit should be. All during the regular season, you needed them to score. Then during the playoffs, you needed them to defend.

Okafor could be great on a team like the Blazers, Warriors or even the Thunder. There's only one ball, but if he's the featured guy down low he can clean up everything.

Going to the Sixers was the worst for him because he needs to be around winners. More than most.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Is it me, or is the NBA draft full of players who get drafted, then shipped off to another team? Why isn't the pick traded before it's made, then the team that wants the guy can draft the guy? Why pick someone, he goes through the motions, then gets traded to another team? Sorry, I don't follow the NBA draft much, except when players from UW are in it, but this seems to happen a lot, more than any other league. Is it a cost savings or something like that?

17 minutes ago, smzimbabwe said:

Is it me, or is the NBA draft full of players who get drafted, then shipped off to another team? Why isn't the pick traded before it's made, then the team that wants the guy can draft the guy? Why pick someone, he goes through the motions, then gets traded to another team? Sorry, I don't follow the NBA draft much, except when players from UW are in it, but this seems to happen a lot, more than any other league. Is it a cost savings or something like that?

Because the trades have to be approved by the league, once they are the commish finally announces it.

Yeah, it's stupid. 

25 minutes ago, smzimbabwe said:

The trading of draft picks has to be made before 2 PM on the day of the draft. 

18 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

The trading of draft picks has to be made before 2 PM on the day of the draft. 

Im assuming that has to do with the process it takes to "clear" or "approve" trades.  I guess the time in between picks is less in NBA than in NFL, but seems like the NFL has a process that works efficiently enough to approve trades made during the draft.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 6/22/2016 at 8:00 PM, smoke072 said:

I'm not that much pissed, but if they was going to trade Rose, I would at least give him til toward the trade deadline to try to built his trade value up.

Whatever Rose's value is, it'll be higher now than at the trade deadline.

Whichever team would get his services for an entire 82 game season instead of 30.

Durant is going to meet with Golden State, OKC, San Antonia, LA Clippers (LOL Lakers?), Heat and, apparently, the Knicks.

There's no way he doesn't sign a one-year deal with the Thunder, right? Golden State would also be a good chance to win, but that Thunder team just got better, and he'll be able to sync up his time with Westbrook (if that's important to him; who knows?).

Good for Kevin to be wooed, but it feels like his better bet is to sit tight for one more year.

2 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Durant is going to meet with Golden State, OKC, San Antonia, LA Clippers (LOL Lakers?), Heat and, apparently, the Knicks.

There's no way he doesn't sign a one-year deal with the Thunder, right? Golden State would also be a good chance to win, but that Thunder team just got better, and he'll be able to sync up his time with Westbrook (if that's important to him; who knows?).

Good for Kevin to be wooed, but it feels like his better bet is to sit tight for one more year.

No Washington or Boston visits? That sucks

2 minutes ago, Kaz said:

I've heard that he will get a meeting with Boston, but Washington is certainly out.  While the media liked to pump the "homecoming" narrative with Durant, it doesn't seem like he was necessarily as excited about the prospect of playing near family as others were.  Certainly didn't help that the Wizards were trash last year.

That being said, I don't see him going anywhere other than OKC, SA, or GS.  Miami is too old, Boston is too cold and has a talent-consolidation issue, and the Knicks suck.

What do you mean by talent consolidation? 

Any guesses? 

I don't see San Antonio or Golden State. My guess would be he stays in OKC, especially after the draft day moves. They've improved, Westbrook and Durant are pretty much just now hitting their primes. I say he signs the 2 year deal with player option after 1st. If they don't win it all, they both leave next year.  

sig.png

Archived