2016 NBA Offseason thread

Cujo

1 minute ago, rickyISking said:

Is there really a team crazy enough to throw that kind of money at Matthew Dellavendova?

Yes. The Sixers need to spend $45 million just to get to the salary floor. There's money out there to pay guys. This season and next.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, rickyISking said:

Is there really a team crazy enough to throw that kind of money at Matthew Dellavendova? I understand the cap is ridiculous this season, but it's freakin' Matt Dellavendova! 

It not just the cap, the "salary floor" increased as well.

Keep this in mind, the last season's salary cap was $70M.  This year's cap FLOOR will be $84.6M.

26 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

You know what's going to be a shame? When there's a lockout in two seasons because the cap dips a bit, and the owners don't want to pay broken ass Joakim Noah $18 million anymore. What's worse is they probably know they're going to do that already.

Someone's going to pay Chandler Parsons $23 million next season, and somehow that's going to the players' fault.

IMO, the union did the right thing by not agreeing to "smoothing" because the owners were definitely going to screw out of money put in escrow. 

If the end result is players 6-9 getting big paydays, so be it as the cap will rise by another 20% next season.

While I'm impressed the Lakers actually signed a free agent, Timofey Mozgov isn't really the best one, especially at $16M/year. Double especially since he wasn't able to play on the court during the playoffs, let alone the Finals. He did have a good 2015 postseason though, so who knows. It does feel like a white flag on the Whitesides pursuit though. You couldn't play Randle, Mozgov and Whitesides all at the same time. I feel like the Lakers will be good again by 2019, but this sad period is tough to watch. 

Bradley Beal on a max deal seems v dumb. Poor Wizards.  All they can hope to do is continue to draft well and maybe sign a wiley free agent like they had in Paul Pierce last season. 

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

13 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Bradley Beal on a max deal seems v dumb. Poor Wizards.  All they can hope to do is continue to draft well and maybe sign a wiley free agent like they had in Paul Pierce last season. 

This contract agreement sums up the Ernie Grunfeld tenure as GM perfectly.

Do they draft well?

Grunfeld has been there since '03!

He has drafted:

Jarvis Hayes

Bill Walker

Javale McGee

Chris Singleton

Jan Vesely

Otto Porter III

The Lakers are the new Knicks. Calling Timofey freaking Mozgov at 12:01am on Day 1 of free agency is bad enough. They probably woke Mozgov up with their call - no way was he expecting a team to actually call him at 12:01! But giving him $64 million is pure insanity, regardless of how high the cap is. Mozgov has been awful since he injured his knee last year and was a mediocre role player even before that.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

41 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

The Lakers are the new Knicks. Calling Timofey freaking Mozgov at 12:01am on Day 1 of free agency is bad enough. They probably woke Mozgov up with their call - no way was he expecting a team to actually call him at 12:01! But giving him $64 million is pure insanity, regardless of how high the cap is. Mozgov has been awful since he injured his knee last year and was a mediocre role player even before that.

No, insanity is your Clippers thinking that getting Durant because he has a home in L.A. is a reason to get a meeting with him.

Next, they'll ask Durant to take a paycut to make a "Big 4" plus Austin Rivers (Doc ain't gonna give up on his blood and Austin really doesn't deserve Bazemore $$$ either) and a bunch of minimum wage dudes since they'd have to void all other contracts.

Then again, SAC may give Dion Waiters $14M/year.

On 6/29/2016 at 10:14 PM, DG_Now said:

He didn't have a plan. He had a simple idea -- a very simple idea -- he convinced himself was groundbreaking. But it wasn't. It was unsophisticated, simplistic, and wasted three years of a city's team and potentially nuked the development of a handful of once-promising basketball players. Other teams -- including Cleveland and Minnesota -- showed you can lose while rebuilding. The Cavs are lucky LeBron is from Ohio, but Minnesota is currently the blueprint for building "the right way." It can be done. It just takes patience, canny, and making the most of your assets. Hinkie destroyed his assets.

I mean, hell, let’s live in a world where LeBron doesn’t come back to Cleveland two years ago — where’s the team at now?

You still have Kyrie Irving and Tristan Thompson around to do good things, with Andrew Wiggins on the squad, too. We can talk about his injury concerns, but Chandler Parsons was probably (?) going to be a Cavalier in a world where LeBron didn’t return, and you’d also have Dion Waiters.

Now whether or not Dion would still be around — maybe the deal that brought J.R. Smith and Iman Shumpert is still on the board — we wouldn’t know, but that was still a team trending toward the playoffs (finished 5 back in 2013-14), adding Wiggins and probably Parsons on the FA market. I find it hard to believe that team wouldn’t have been at least thereabouts in the East this year, only trending up with Kyrie, Wiggins and Tristan as the core.

So yeah, take out the LeBron return and I still think the Cavs would be sitting here today in a good position. Granted, it took a lot of luck — winning the lottery with a 2.8% chance in 2011 (thanks, Clippers, for the dumbest thing you’ve ever done!) and then a 1.7% one in 2014 — but that’s the way the lottery’s supposed to be, I guess.

And circling back to the original point, whose pieces would you rather have right now: Minnesota’s or Philadelphia’s? Give me the Wolves every day, man. That’s a great core and they didn’t tank to get it.

6fQjS3M.png

29 minutes ago, crashcarson15 said:

And circling back to the original point, whose pieces would you rather have right now: Minnesota’s or Philadelphia’s? Give me the Wolves every day, man. That’s a great core and they didn’t tank to get it.

Problem is that MIN now hired Tom Thibodeau as head coach and he abuses talent. Thibs immediately fired a very well respected athletic trainer/PT guy in Arnie Kander.

It may not be Thibs, but more on the Bulls management, but Thibs was also the HC when Loul Deng needed a spinal tap during the 2013 playoffs. Where was the medical staff?

1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

We're not the new Knicks since we actually have several young and talented players, but signing Mozgov for 16 mil/year is absolutely insane. I know the Lakers have a ton of cash to blow just to get to the salary floor, but that's a ridiculous amount of money for a mediocre player. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

1 hour ago, Rockstar Matt said:

We're not the new Knicks since we actually have several young and talented players, but signing Mozgov for 16 mil/year is absolutely insane. I know the Lakers have a ton of cash to blow just to get to the salary floor, but that's a ridiculous amount of money for a mediocre player. 

The "ridiculous" has yet to begin.

EDIT: Reports are Batum has a 5 for $120M deal with a player option for year 5.

5 years, $120 million for Batum to stay with the Hornets. It's fine.

EDIT: Apparently that's not the max, so I'm ecstatic. But now Lin is on his way to Brooklyn and Lee is probably gone too, and the Hornets have been linked to Dwight Howard, so there's still the possibility of disaster.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

15 minutes ago, Kramerica Industries said:

I'm no basketball expert, but, umm, DeMar DeRozan got $27.8M annually for the next five years (5/$139M)? Umm...the DeRozan's of the world are worth that much? 

Umm...ok.

That's what happens when the cap raises like crazy the past couple of summers. I'm still floored Mosgov got $64 from the Lakers. 

The cap will go up again next year. Timo's deal will be cheap then. Possibly the year after. Year 4 is a bad look though. 

Spoiler alert: lots of mediocre talent will be signing huge deals. This year and next. The owners will be out for blood in 18/19.

2 hours ago, BlackBolt3 said:

5 years, $120 million for Batum to stay with the Hornets. It's fine.

EDIT: Apparently that's not the max, so I'm ecstatic. But now Lin is on his way to Brooklyn and Lee is probably gone too, and the Hornets have been linked to Dwight Howard, so there's still the possibility of disaster.

Now Al Jefferson is gone to Indy. Everyone come get a Hornet while they're hot.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

OJ Mayo has been dismissed & disqualified for violating the league's Anti-Drug Program.

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/o-j-mayo-banned-dismissed-disqualified-from-nba-violating-anti-drug-program-070116

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

10 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Problem is that MIN now hired Tom Thibodeau as head coach and he abuses talent. Thibs immediately fired a very well respected athletic trainer/PT guy in Arnie Kander.

It may not be Thibs, but more on the Bulls management, but Thibs was also the HC when Loul Deng needed a spinal tap during the 2013 playoffs. Where was the medical staff?

The Bulls' medical staff is infamous for borderline malpractice and that goes back before Thibodeau. I don't know/care what the deal is with Minnesota's trainer, but poor medical care is a Reinsdorf issue.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived