2016 NBA Offseason thread

Cujo

5 minutes ago, the admiral said:

The Bulls' medical staff is infamous for borderline malpractice and that goes back before Thibodeau. I don't know/care what the deal is with Minnesota's trainer, but poor medical care is a Reinsdorf issue.

However, for over a decade, the PHX staff was considered the best due to their impact on Grant Hill, Steve Nash, Antonio McDyess, and Penny.  Yet guys don't go there as their original free agency option. 

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone named Solomon Hill just signed a four-year $48 million deal.  Gone, I guess, are the days where I know everyone that makes eight figures.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

He was a 4 year player at Arizona so of course I know who that is. He seemed like an OK player for Indy, but geez that much? Yep this the inflation era for the NBA.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

My predictions were garbage. Chandler Parsons seems like garbage too. Memphis is having a nice go of it so far though.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Dwight Howard in the ATL means Horford is gone, right?

I feel like it's a good signing for the Hawks but who really knows. At least his teammates won't hate him.

When are Dallas and Houston going to start doing something?

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

Dwight Howard in the ATL means Horford is gone, right?

I feel like it's a good signing for the Hawks but who really knows. At least his teammates won't hate him.

I believe how the NBA cap rules work....you can go over the cap to re-sign your own free agents, as long as you don't renounce their rights.

So in order to fit in Howard and Horford, you sign the outside free agent first (Howard) then you can go after Horford.

1 hour ago, HedleyLamarr said:

I believe how the NBA cap rules work....you can go over the cap to re-sign your own free agents, as long as you don't renounce their rights.

So in order to fit in Howard and Horford, you sign the outside free agent first (Howard) then you can go after Horford.

The NBA is simply the worst. You need a Ph.D. to be a fan, and need to work the system way too much to be a GM.  Next time I read about someone's "bird rights" I'm going to step on a puppy's face. With my foot.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, HedleyLamarr said:

My comment was more about fit that price. The Hawks can't play two starting centers. Not in today's NBA at least. The Hawks won 60 games two seasons ago. Now it looks like they about mid-40s. I don't know where they go from here.

Speaking of where people go from here, I'd love to read the hidden story behind why all NBA free agents hate the Lakers. That franchise's entire reputation seems to have died with Jerry Buss. I think their core is good -- Clarkson's headed to year 3, Russell and Randle (who missed 80 games of his rookie season) year 2, and Ingraham may have Durant-level promise. Yes, they're two years away from contending -- and that's assuming they all pan out to be good players -- but Luke Walton seems like a decent fit and LA is LA. 

The other thing about the Lakers is David Stern really killed them by vetoing the Chris Paul trade. Instead they went with a broken Steve Nash and a lazy Dwight Howard, and totally stalled out since then. The Clippers finally developed young players in Jordan and Griffin, but the real driver has been Chris Paul. Paul still in his prime the last few seasons gives the Lakers a couple more playoff appearances, more free agent marketability, and a completely different outlook.

Also, eff David Stern. His last few years were really terrible. And yes, I'm obviously bitter about the Sonics.

19 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

My comment was more about fit that price. The Hawks can't play two starting centers. Not in today's NBA at least. The Hawks won 60 games two seasons ago. Now it looks like they about mid-40s. I don't know where they go from here.

Supposedly Horford is looking to play in his more natural position of power forward instead of filling in at center.

A frontcourt of Howard, Horford, and Millsap would be pretty stout.

Maybe Howard needed to head back East to pick up his game where he left it (in Orlando). Atlanta might be just what he needs- or it could be absolute disaster (my bet)

Indiana is looking scary as hell, especially now with Al Jefferson. 

Looks like a mass exodus out of Charlotte. I mean, losing Jeremy Lin isn't the end of the world- you have Kemba Walker. But Al Jefferson is IMO one of the most underrated centers in the league. 

Nice move by the Jazz adding Joe Johnson. I think he'll fit in nicely there. 

Luol Deng to the Lakers? I mean, good for them, but if you're him- why? Maybe he saw that they signed Mozgov and saw them as a title contender :P

Houston has a huge whole up front. They've been planning to scrap Howard for months, so surely they have a plan?

sig.png

I'm really pleased with the Joe Johnson deal. Good deal in and of itself so far as the contract is concerned, and I think he'll add a good offensive jolt off the bench, even if he may not be in his prime anymore. Still a proven scorer capable of getting buckets, and the Jazz could always use whatever help they can get on that end. So far between getting Hill, a solid 2nd rd pick in Bolomboy, and getting Johnson, the Jazz have really scored this offseason in my mind. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Joe Johnson made $24 million last year smdh. The Russian Nets broke the NBA for a bit there. 

Word is Dwyane Wade to somewhere not Miami is in play. He's pissed that the Heat lowballed him from the outset -- $10 million or so per year -- and that's after he took less over the past couple of seasons. He's talking to New York and Milwaukee (but really New York).

If Wade goes to New York, they won't win a title. However, a team of Wade, Noah, Melo, Rose and Porzingis -- 2011 all-stars jokes aside -- would still at least play with high basketball IQ and make the playoffs.

The Heat are going to whiff on Durant, but still have Whiteside, Dragic, Winslow, sick Chris Bosh, and a smattering of some of these guys:

jDbgPt2.png

The Heat likely have a better future, but today? The Knicks all of a sudden look a bit more enticing.

EDIT: Also, Luol Deng is a solid pickup for LA. They probably could have signed him and skipped on Mozgov and still come out ahead.

EDIT: One more thing - Ian Clarke (from GS) seems like a smart pickup for an enterprising team. He was pretty good in the playoffs, especially that one game against Houston.

1 hour ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Maybe Howard needed to head back East to pick up his game where he left it (in Orlando). Atlanta might be just what he needs- or it could be absolute disaster (my bet)

Indiana is looking scary as hell, especially now with Al Jefferson. 

Looks like a mass exodus out of Charlotte. I mean, losing Jeremy Lin isn't the end of the world- you have Kemba Walker. But Al Jefferson is IMO one of the most underrated centers in the league. 

Nice move by the Jazz adding Joe Johnson. I think he'll fit in nicely there. 

Luol Deng to the Lakers? I mean, good for them, but if you're him- why? Maybe he saw that they signed Mozgov and saw them as a title contender :P

Houston has a huge whole up front. They've been planning to scrap Howard for months, so surely they have a plan?

Totally. Al Jefferson was fun to watch when he played for the Jazz. Shame that everything went to hell when he was here with Jerry Sloan's retirement and Deron Williams' departure. Hopefully things work out in Indiana and he has some sustained success there, but I'm feeling for Charlotte now, especially after last year's playoff run.

Anyways, I'm liking Utah landing Joe Johnson as well. No, he's not in his prime, but as @FinsUp1214 said, he's a wing that can help out a lot. It's also nice to know that the Jazz are, in fact, capable of attracting and signing free agents.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Archived