Rebranding the Washington Capitals

JJ Anderes

Hey folks!

In this thread, I wanted to bring back one of the Capital's unused logos with a modern twist.

caps_old.png

The logo wasn't horrible, but I knew it could be better. I decided to change a lot of things...

jj-wc-primary.png

Secondary/alternate logos, jerseys, and much more coming soon. However, I'd like to hear an opinion from you guys about this logo before I do that, so C&C is much appreciated.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, JJ Anderes said:

Hey folks!

In this thread, I wanted to bring back one of the Capital's unused logos with a modern twist.

caps_old.png

The logo wasn't horrible, but I knew it could be better. I decided to change a lot of things...

jj-wc-primary.png

Secondary/alternate logos, jerseys, and much more coming soon. However, I'd like to hear an opinion from you guys about this logo before I do that, so C&C is much appreciated.

Metallic silver-blue looks like for the Washington Capitals logo. How will the uniforms play out?

8 minutes ago, Silver_Star said:

Metallic silver-blue looks like for the Washington Capitals logo. How will the uniforms play out?

Not sure yet, I'll probably finish making the logos before I start doing the uniforms. I'm open to suggestions, though.

2 minutes ago, JJ Anderes said:

Not sure yet, I'll probably finish making the logos before I start doing the uniforms. I'm open to suggestions, though.

For starters, crimson red should be the primary home uniforms. The pants should be navy blue (yes I know how Hockey uniforms are). The goalie should have his helmet have the imprint of the Capital like the logo. Numbers should use the same font/typeface you use for the logo. socks on the crimson red home should be red since the pants will be navy blue with a pipping being crimson red with white and metallic silver-blue stars on the side of the pants. The jerseys itself for the gimmicks should have two navy blue pipping on the sides with the same white and metallic silver-blue stars too same goes for the bottom of the jersey with a big navy blue pipping and the stars too. The capital on the middle which the player number front of the jersey should be on the right hand and the sleeve numbers.

I would give this uniform a classic, BUT a radical redesign. I kept thinking the helmet would look good with a red and blue gradient, but the 90's is dead. I rather navy blue with the starts all over.

Make it look American enough for the teams logo.

1 hour ago, Silver_Star said:

For starters, crimson red should be the primary home uniforms. The pants should be navy blue (yes I know how Hockey uniforms are). The goalie should have his helmet have the imprint of the Capital like the logo. Numbers should use the same font/typeface you use for the logo. socks on the crimson red home should be red since the pants will be navy blue with a pipping being crimson red with white and metallic silver-blue stars on the side of the pants. The jerseys itself for the gimmicks should have two navy blue pipping on the sides with the same white and metallic silver-blue stars too same goes for the bottom of the jersey with a big navy blue pipping and the stars too. The capital on the middle which the player number front of the jersey should be on the right hand and the sleeve numbers.

I would give this uniform a classic, BUT a radical redesign. I kept thinking the helmet would look good with a red and blue gradient, but the 90's is dead. I rather navy blue with the starts all over.

Make it look American enough for the teams logo.

Thanks a lot, that'll help for sure.

I used two different fonts for the logo. For "Washington", I used Georgia Fox, and for "Capitals", I tried the font from this year's NHL All-Star Game jerseys (both fonts from fontsbyconrad). Any preference to which one I should use?

29 minutes ago, Whitefoot said:

I suggest changing the logo outline from half white-half grey to all grey (or maybe all white?). Since the DC flag is white, the white outline doesn't work on that half of the flag.

Yeah, I thought about that. The goal was to help the logo have more of a 3D look, but it didn't work as well as I had hoped.

jj-wc-primary2.png

The CAPITALS font doesn't work so great for me. The As just don't look good being so narrow and with the crossbar as high as it is. I don't think it needs the gray highlight either. If you left CAPITALS and the double stripe white, and changed WASHINGTON to gray, I think that would work much better.

Also, when you're working with text, if you have the option, make sure your kerning is set to Optical rather than Auto. Auto kerning often results in weird spacing with certain combinations of letters. You can see it here with the W-A in Washington and the T-A in Capitals. Because the A slopes away from the previous letter, it looks like there's more space there than there is between other combinations of letters. Setting your kerning to Optical should rectify that problem.

14 minutes ago, officeglenn said:

The CAPITALS font doesn't work so great for me. The As just don't look good being so narrow and with the crossbar as high as it is. I don't think it needs the gray highlight either. If you left CAPITALS and the double stripe white, and changed WASHINGTON to gray, I think that would work much better.

Also, when you're working with text, if you have the option, make sure your kerning is set to Optical rather than Auto. Auto kerning often results in weird spacing with certain combinations of letters. You can see it here with the W-A in Washington and the T-A in Capitals. Because the A slopes away from the previous letter, it looks like there's more space there than there is between other combinations of letters. Setting your kerning to Optical should rectify that problem.

I don't think I have that on my app, since I'm not using Photoshop or Illustrator.

I see what you mean. I tried to move those letters a little closer, but when I move the T and A in "Capitals" they seem too close to each other, so I didn't mess with that too much...

jj-wc-primary3.png

2 hours ago, TylerG said:

All-grey outline looks better for sure IMO.

It does because the logo doesn't need black since the colors are similar to Washington D.C. utilizing the American flag and the Capital. That being said, the use of crimson red, navy blue, white, and metallic silver-blue works for this team because those four colors can be used. I change my mind of the navy blue helmets and go for metallic silver-blue, but it's because this outfit design is awesome.

When the NFL New England Patriots went with navy blue, scarlet, white, and silver nickel, it worked! But to me, this one you did for the NFL Washington Capitals makes the hockey outfit so magnificent that it makes the team look formal with a nice design to it. That being said, the metallic silver-blue outline is gorgeous and makes the logo and probably the uniform pop. I forgot to mention to the creator to add a metallic silver-blue trim in the middle of the two navy blue trims with the star on the sleeve pattern, the tail patterns, and the pants pipping. Bring in metallic silver-blue since I am in love with that color when the Dallas Cowboys NFL used it from 1964-1980. With red being the primary, the metallic silver-blue will make the navy blue pop, but will make the red and blue feel like the first two colors you see!

2 hours ago, Silver_Star said:

It does because the logo doesn't need black since the colors are similar to Washington D.C. utilizing the American flag and the Capital. That being said, the use of crimson red, navy blue, white, and metallic silver-blue works for this team because those four colors can be used. I change my mind of the navy blue helmets and go for metallic silver-blue, but it's because this outfit design is awesome.

When the NFL New England Patriots went with navy blue, scarlet, white, and silver nickel, it worked! But to me, this one you did for the NFL Washington Capitals makes the hockey outfit so magnificent that it makes the team look formal with a nice design to it. That being said, the metallic silver-blue outline is gorgeous and makes the logo and probably the uniform pop. I forgot to mention to the creator to add a metallic silver-blue trim in the middle of the two navy blue trims with the star on the sleeve pattern, the tail patterns, and the pants pipping. Bring in metallic silver-blue since I am in love with that color when the Dallas Cowboys NFL used it from 1964-1980. With red being the primary, the metallic silver-blue will make the navy blue pop, but will make the red and blue feel like the first two colors you see!

I like that idea a lot, and I'll start working on jerseys tonight...

Any ideas for secondary logos?

Great design and execution. I have one quibble though... while I love the DC flag as part of any DC sport team identity, I think the way the flag is juxtaposed near the Capitol is off. The DC flag doesn't fly above the Capitol but the flag and stick combo behind the building sort of give that impression. The DC flag above the US Capitol doesn't seem right to me. But I don't think having a US flag motif instead would be correct either as it is a DC team not Team USA. Is there a way to weave in the flag design into the logo without actually have a flag itself (the way the primary does)?

Also, wouldn't the city name text pop more if it were white, like the team name?

14 hours ago, New York's Greatest said:

I really really like it! I recommend a blue jersey though.

I rather the New York Rangers stay blue as their prime color with red and white as second.

With the Washington Capitals, red should be the primary as to navy blue, metallic silver-blue, and white being the second, third, and fourth. No need for the Capitals to be navy blue as a primary!

2 minutes ago, Silver_Star said:

I rather the New York Rangers stay blue as their prime color with red and white as second.

With the Washington Capitals, red should be the primary as to navy blue, metallic silver-blue, and white being the second, third, and fourth. No need for the Capitals to be navy blue as a primary!

if anything Id make a blue third jersey

1 hour ago, Silver_Star said:

1 hour ago, New York's Greatest said:

if anything Id make a blue third jersey

Yeah, I agree. Being a Capitals fan, I think most DC fans associate their team with red. Every year during the playoffs, the team launches a rock the red campaign, and if you walk through the Verizon Center, the majority of jerseys you see are either the Caps' current home jerseys or their new red alternates. It definitely would be cool to try a new navy third though.

While I'm at it, I mocked up a couple secondary logos that I'd like to show you guys...

jj-wc-secondary.png

Not much new here, it's basically the Capitals current shoulder logo recolored to match my new primary mark. If Washington undergoes a rebrand, it would be nice to see them carry this logo over, and perhaps use it on that third navy blue jersey a couple of you guys wanted?

jj-wc-pants.png

jj-wc-alternate2.png

These are a couple versions of a modified Winter Classic logo. The designer of the Capitals 2015 Winter Classic jerseys also created this logo (shown below) which didn't quite make the cut.

1008-sterlachini-dc.png

This is a logo that's much more simple than the weagle, so my plan was to use the weagle as a shoulder patch and put this logo on the pants somewhere.

Thoughts?

6 minutes ago, New York's Greatest said:

To be honest they're perfect.

Thanks man, much appreciated.

I forgot to show you guys the jersey template I planned to use.

(via HockeyJerseyConcepts.com, created by Dylan Wonka)

ShopTemplate-DylanWonka-DisplayOnly-2.png

If you guys would like me to use a different one that's fine as well.

Archived