Rebranding the Washington Capitals

JJ Anderes

2 hours ago, JJ Anderes said:

Yeah, I agree. Being a Capitals fan, I think most DC fans associate their team with red. Every year during the playoffs, the team launches a rock the red campaign, and if you walk through the Verizon Center, the majority of jerseys you see are either the Caps' current home jerseys or their new red alternates. It definitely would be cool to try a new navy third though.

While I'm at it, I mocked up a couple secondary logos that I'd like to show you guys...

jj-wc-secondary.png

Not much new here, it's basically the Capitals current shoulder logo recolored to match my new primary mark. If Washington undergoes a rebrand, it would be nice to see them carry this logo over, and perhaps use it on that third navy blue jersey a couple of you guys wanted?

jj-wc-pants.png

jj-wc-alternate2.png

These are a couple versions of a modified Winter Classic logo. The designer of the Capitals 2015 Winter Classic jerseys also created this logo (shown below) which didn't quite make the cut.

1008-sterlachini-dc.png

This is a logo that's much more simple than the weagle, so my plan was to use the weagle as a shoulder patch and put this logo on the pants somewhere.

Thoughts?

The first one with the red W and the navy blue C! Also, try to implement the capital below the bird to show the bird rising out of the capital.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Silver_Star said:

The first one with the red W and the navy blue C! Also, try to implement the capital below the bird to show the bird rising out of the capital.

I tried it, but I don't think I like it...

32 minutes ago, brewersbaseball4life said:

I really like the striping on the arms and at the bottom of the jersey, but the logo seems like a little much, a little too complicated.  Maybe one of the great secondary logos you created would look better. Other than that, i think it looks great. 

Thanks for the feedback man! I made two more home jerseys with the secondary logos (and added the rest of the equipment as well)...

jj-wc-home3.png

jj-wc-home4.png

And a few blue unis...

jj-wc-alt2.png

jj-wc-alternate.pngjj-wc-alt3.png

20 minutes ago, JJ Anderes said:

Thanks for the feedback man! I made two more home jerseys with the secondary logos (and added the rest of the equipment as well)...

jj-wc-home3.png

jj-wc-home4.png

And a few blue unis...

jj-wc-alt2.png

jj-wc-alternate.pngjj-wc-alt3.png

Although I like the WC logo better, They both look great and work well on the jerseys. You could probably use each of them on their own jersey (weagle with red, WC with blue?). Either way, I can't wait to see the road look. 

13 hours ago, brewersbaseball4life said:

Although I like the WC logo better, They both look great and work well on the jerseys. You could probably use each of them on their own jersey (weagle with red, WC with blue?). Either way, I can't wait to see the road look. 

I went ahead and made some road jerseys.

jj-wc-road.pngjj-wc-road2.pngjj-wc-road3.png

On June 23, 2016 at 10:23 AM, New_Member said:

Great design and execution. I have one quibble though... while I love the DC flag as part of any DC sport team identity, I think the way the flag is juxtaposed near the Capitol is off. The DC flag doesn't fly above the Capitol but the flag and stick combo behind the building sort of give that impression. The DC flag above the US Capitol doesn't seem right to me. But I don't think having a US flag motif instead would be correct either as it is a DC team not Team USA. Is there a way to weave in the flag design into the logo without actually have a flag itself (the way the primary does)?

Also, wouldn't the city name text pop more if it were white, like the team name?

Like this?

jj-wc-primary5.png

jj-wc-primary4.png

On 7/1/2016 at 9:19 PM, brewersbaseball4life said:

I really like the striping on the arms and at the bottom of the jersey, but the logo seems like a little much, a little too complicated.  Maybe one of the great secondary logos you created would look better. Other than that, i think it looks great. 

The arm striping was my idea to him. I am glad he did it! ^_^ LOOKS LIKE A TASTY UNIFORM! EYE CATCHING. PUTTING METALLIC SILVER-BLUE WORKS! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

On 7/1/2016 at 10:25 PM, brewersbaseball4life said:

On the navy blue alternate, use the secondary logo! The WC logo. On the white, use the eagle! This uniform rocks hard big time!!! Reason why I like the Rams and Bills color scheme. A color scheme like the Capitals making red the starter to navy blue being the second and alt color works out big time. See how the Dallas Cowboy style metallic silver-blue works with both red and navy blue on the Capitals uniforms? ^_^ SWWWEEEETTTT!

First things first: pleasantly surprised and this gives me warm memories of the days P.I.L.L. claimed the Caps stole his logo.

I like your update of the unused logo, but there is something up with the rendering of the Capitol. It feels like two separate buildings melded together. I get one part is shadow but Windows and features should be rendered similarly to the light side. I'd take a shot at seeing what you can do with that.

2 hours ago, Silver_Star said:

On the navy blue alternate, use the secondary logo! The WC logo. On the white, use the eagle! This uniform rocks hard big time!!! Reason why I like the Rams and Bills color scheme. A color scheme like the Capitals making red the starter to navy blue being the second and alt color works out big time. See how the Dallas Cowboy style metallic silver-blue works with both red and navy blue on the Capitals uniforms? ^_^ SWWWEEEETTTT!

What about the red jersey? The primary logo? I definitely agree that the weagle looks best on white tho. 

17 minutes ago, brewersbaseball4life said:

What about the red jersey? The primary logo? I definitely agree that the weagle looks best on white tho. 

To me it does because the weagle logo looks better on the white than the red or navy blue. I like it a lot. The uniform design is so nice! I LOVE IT!

Based on feedback (and tell me if I'm wrong) these seem to be the most popular...

1. Red jersey, capital logo.

2. White jersey, eagle logo.

3. Navy jersey, WC logo.

And for the most part, I agree with you guys. The only thing that bugs me is that the home and road jerseys have separate logos. I'd prefer to use the primary logo on the road if possible, any thoughts on how I could make that work?

21 minutes ago, JJ Anderes said:

Based on feedback (and tell me if I'm wrong) these seem to be the most popular...

1. Red jersey, capital logo.

2. White jersey, eagle logo.

3. Navy jersey, WC logo.

And for the most part, I agree with you guys. The only thing that bugs me is that the home and road jerseys have separate logos. I'd prefer to use the primary logo on the road if possible, any thoughts on how I could make that work?

I think it's fine as it is, but if you really want to use the primary logo on the road, maybe you could make a separate version of it with washington in big letters instead of capitals. Or you could just make weagle the jersey logo for home and away, ditching the primary logo from any jersey use. But whatever you do, don't ditch the WC logo because it's just amazingly good. 

1 hour ago, brewersbaseball4life said:

I think it's fine as it is, but if you really want to use the primary logo on the road, maybe you could make a separate version of it with washington in big letters instead of capitals. Or you could just make weagle the jersey logo for home and away, ditching the primary logo from any jersey use. But whatever you do, don't ditch the WC logo because it's just amazingly good. 

If you think its fine the way it is, I'll just leave it like that to save time...

Having said that, there's a few things I fixed up.

jj-wc-home-a.pngjj-wc-road-a.pngjj-wc-alternate-a.png

1. Added capital logo as a shoulder logo to road and alternate jerseys.

2. Decided to use navy pants for both primary uniforms.

3. Decided to use red pants for alternate uniform.

4. Changed red pants from WC logo to capital logo.

Archived