2016 MLB All-Star Game Caps

MJD7

Hello everyone, 

I've been a long-time viewer of these boards, as I have long been interested in sports logos and design. Having had many ideas and concepts of my own, I've always been interested in sharing, but lack the computer/photoshop skills to portray them the way I'd like to. The project that I'm now sharing is about as adequate as I can get using MS Paint. So here it goes.

Ever since MLB released the Twins-inspired caps for the All-Star Game in 2014, I have been interested in the idea of having the hats be in a uniform theme, based on the host city. When this year's hats were released, I'll admit I was a little disappointed. Especially considering all of the past inspiration they could have drawn from classic Padres uniforms, which they instead used for the Home Run Derby gear. However, I saw room to use that inspiration in the actual game as well as the Derby.

My concept draws the wordmarks of each team straight from the Derby caps, but each are given their representative colors to match the uniform. My goal for a lot of teams was to be able to use somewhat uncommon colors, such as the green for the Red Sox and some yellow for the Cardinals. Piping was added along the front to mimic the old Padres hats even more. The logos of the teams were kept on the side of the hat in order to differentiate each of them from being too "templeted." So anyway, let me know what you all think. All-Star Game Hats - Copy (2).png

Edit: Above is the original concept, below is the most recently updated version with added eyelets.

All-Star Game Hats - Copy.png

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, Uglybus said:

I think it looks great. 

45 minutes ago, KRZYBDGRZ said:

I would buy one in a heartbeat

Thanks, that's pretty cool to hear. I'm honestly pretty surprised MLB didn't use any Padres or San Diego elements in designing the hats this year

First off, welcome to the forums!

These are all really cool. However, a lot of the letters are crooked. If you could find a way to fix the arching, it would go a LONG way.

- Even though the D-Backs look fine as is, you might try replacing the sand with turquoise to reflect their new look. The only problem with that is you run the risk of the cap looking too much like your Red Sox cap.

- Use white outlines on the "Orioles" letters instead of gray.

- For the Red Sox, I would change that shade of green you used. Right now, it looks like teal, which results in the cap having a very Mariners-esque look.

- The Dodgers need some work. Maybe make the front panel of the cap white? Something about the blue lettering with white & red trim on a gray background looks off.

- For the Marlins, I would make the letters white with black and blue outlines to emulate their orange alternate.

- Make the letters on the Cardinals cap red with white trim to emulate this cap.

1 hour ago, coco1997 said:

First off, welcome to the forums!

Thanks! I appreciate it

These are all really cool. However, a lot of the letters are crooked. If you could find a way to fix the arching, it would go a LONG way.

I definitely get what you're saying. Funny thing is, I traced them directly from the Home Run Derby caps on mlb.com. Are there any in particular that I should look at to try and fix?

- Even though the D-Backs look fine as is, you might try replacing the sand with turquoise to reflect their new look. The only problem with that is you run the risk of the cap looking too much like your Red Sox cap.

I thought about using teal at the beginning of making this, but figured that they'd wear their regular road jersey in the game. Here is what it would look like with teal compared to the original (And as an added bonus, I inverted the brick and black because I think it makes the wordmark pop more.)Dbacks post.png

- Use white outlines on the "Orioles" letters instead of gray.

The only reason I used gray is because I had a tough time finding two different colors to use as outlines. Here is an updated version:Orioles post.png

- For the Red Sox, I would change that shade of green you used. Right now, it looks like teal, which results in the cap having a very Mariners-esque look.

I used the lighter of the two shades the Red Sox used for the Fenway Park anniversary a few years ago, just because I thought it looked closer to the Green Monster. Here is a comparison with the darker shade:Red Sox post.png

- The Dodgers need some work. Maybe make the front panel of the cap white? Something about the blue lettering with white & red trim on a gray background looks off.

Since the Dodgers are gonna be wearing their road uniforms, I was hesitant to have a  white front panel. However, here is a version without any red. Maybe this looks a little better

Dodgers post.png

- For the Marlins, I would make the letters white with black and blue outlines to emulate their orange alternate.

I just liked to be able to add the extra yellow to use as much color as possible. Here is a comparison between the twoMarlins post.png

- Make the letters on the Cardinals cap red with white trim to emulate this cap.

I tried doing this to start off, the only problem I had was having to use a 2nd outline. Here's how it would look with a little more yellow, let me know what you think, I'm not sure how I feel about it:

Cardinals post.png

Those updated caps are all improvements over the first versions. Of the three different D-Backs cap, I think the middle one works the best.

The only thing I'm on the fence about is the Cardinals one. I still think it should be red letters on a navy background, but the yellow trim seems extraneous.

10 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

Those updated caps are all improvements over the first versions. Of the three different D-Backs cap, I think the middle one works the best.

The only thing I'm on the fence about is the Cardinals one. I still think it should be red letters on a navy background, but the yellow trim seems extraneous.

Thank you. And here is a possible compromise for the Cardinals:Cardinals post.png

7 minutes ago, coco1997 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

The third one looks great!

Ok cool!

I also had some others that I was somewhat indecisive over, specifically this one. Which of these do you all think is better?Astros post.png

7 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

I think the left one is better.

Would you consider making up updated version of the collage in your original post with your tweaked versions of the caps?

Sure

All-Star Game Hats Update.png

Archived