2016 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos

dherrera_96

21 hours ago, scraw28 said:

I think this is the 1st time they wore the jersey pants combo since the redesign in 2004

First time they've worn it since 2005. Since then it's always been with white pants and orange socks, which I prefer.

But the first two seasons of the orange alternates they always wore them with black pants and sometimes it was with orange socks and other times it was with black. 

quarterback-carson-palmer-of-the-cincinn

cin-04-05-orangeblack-johnsommers-vert-6

Also 2005 when they first wore the white pants with the orange jerseys

rudi-johnson.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

God have mercy on that Patriots-Ravens game. The Ravens could have made this bearable with white pants, but instead they go for the leggings.

Why do I have a feeling that we're never going to see those beautiful Saints fauxbacks again? Drew Brees had his worst home performance in a long time, maybe ever as a Saint. Wouldn't be surprised to see it thrown out the window.

NSFCvyu.png

38 minutes ago, JWhiz96 said:

God have mercy on that Patriots-Ravens game. The Ravens could have made this bearable with white pants, but instead they go for the leggings.

Even though I know I shouldn't, I just can't help but like this matchup. The Ravens leggings look awful and the Patriots uniforms are nothing to write home about, but this combination always reminds me of great games. The Pats and Ravens have played each other four times in the playoffs wearing those uniforms, including this game and this game. It was also the combination in the first NFL game I ever went to, so I'll always be fond of the matchup despite how bad it is objectively. 

1 hour ago, fouhy12 said:

Even though I know I shouldn't, I just can't help but like this matchup. The Ravens leggings look awful and the Patriots uniforms are nothing to write home about, but this combination always reminds me of great games. The Pats and Ravens have played each other four times in the playoffs wearing those uniforms, including this game and this game. It was also the combination in the first NFL game I ever went to, so I'll always be fond of the matchup despite how bad it is objectively. 

I think it took this post to realize how much the Ravens' black pants look like yoga pants.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

3 hours ago, Nick72Phins said:

I think the Cardinals are going to wear all-red against my Dolphins

And I think the Dolphins will go white over aqua, as this would be the 2nd time they've done that for a home game--as they've gone mono white twice already at home.

On another topic, I would love to see the Titans go navy over Columbia for one of their remaining home games and Columbia over white for the other one.

42 minutes ago, RayFinkle said:

B'more at home with Purple/Black is ok for me.  I would like White/White on the road.

Any reason why Washington seems to have moved away from the yellow pants lately?

Oakland in white pants might look real good.

Bring me purple socks and im good. Or at least pants stripes.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

I think Seattle will go all gray this week because they usually wear them twice a season and last 2 seasons they've already worn them against the 49ers so I doubt they'll do it again. I would like to see them try gray over navy though and this could be a good matchup to do it but I doubt they ever will.

19 hours ago, RayFinkle said:

B'more at home with Purple/Black is ok for me.  I would like White/White on the road.

Any reason why Washington seems to have moved away from the yellow pants lately?

Oakland in white pants might look real good.

This is the reason why.

Washington introduced the gold pants after months of hints from Bruce Allen, the new GM/ son of a longtime Redskins head coach, in 2010 during Donovan McNabb's ill-fated stint in Washington. The fans loved them, and their use slowly increased over the 2010 and 2011 seasons while Washington floundered in mediocrity. The first use of the gold pants with white jerseys came late in 2010 if I remember correctly, and by 2011 it was more common than not to see them on the road.

In 2012, RGIII and the Nike contract happened. Washington stopped wearing the burgundy pants at this point. At home, it was either burgundy/gold or burgundy/white (typically during 1PM home games) and white/gold on the road. The Redskins were really good at this point, and nobody was really talking about the uniforms. 

Through 2013-2015 the Redskins returned to relative mediocrity but began to improve, move past the RGIII disasters, etc. And it's my understanding that the fans began to realize the gold pants had completely taken over and it stopped being "the fun new thing" and became "the same old thing." Went from being the "new option" to being the "restricting option." 

So it started with some blog posts about the burgundy pants, and then they surprised everyone and brought them back for the start of 2016. And it seems we finally have what most people want. A healthy amount of gold pants, with the classic Washington look still in the mix (I would argue a top-five NFL uniform from the point of historical significance). 

Now my perspective on this is admittedly a bit more invested than the average fan, who probably had a couple random thoughts about the Redskins uniforms over this period instead of literally knocking on the window of Bruce Allen's skybox during a Week 2 game during high school and holding up a sign that said "Where have the burgundy pants gone?" only to get a laugh and have him turn his head, angering me for months on end, going so far as to bring it up at some stupid season-ticket holder even later in the year when I inadvertently found out about the new throwback uniforms and was lied to about some rule about only being allowed three pairs of pants per team... sorry.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

Archived