Drafts

moonwalker

Has your team ever disappointed you in th draft big time. Like they take a risk, drafting an off the radar prospect, only for that player to be a bust. Or a better player was picked a few picks after and became dominant?

This has happened to my favourite NHL team, the Bruins. In 2003, with their first round pick they pick Mark Stuart. Nothing against him, just a few picks later, however, Corey Perry was picked and unlike Stuart, was a star In the ohl.

4 hours ago, moonwalker said:

Has your team ever disappointed you in th draft big time. Like they take a risk, drafting an off the radar prospect, only for that player to be a bust. Or a better player was picked a few picks after and became dominant?

This has happened to my favourite NHL team, the Bruins. In 2003, with their first round pick they pick Mark Stuart. Nothing against him, just a few picks later, however, Corey Perry was picked and unlike Stuart, was a star In the ohl.

*points at username*

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

11 hours ago, moonwalker said:

Toronto Maple Leafs - no team in the history of pro sports has had a poorer draft record, & it's not close.  

I learned young, so I'm not as bitter.  It was what I thought as normal.

The only bright side(?) is they've never been in position to squander top 1-3 picks overall.  Ottawa, Edmonton, Atlanta, etc + countless more NBA teams, have all gone up in flames with top picks.  The Leafs have always bought themselves old players to never finish last.

That frustration has been offset by the New England Patriots my fav NFL team who not only make up their own draft rules, they often find quite useful talent deep in rounds.   Usually because they're players only best suited for Belichick's philosophies, thus other teams find no use for them & pass over.

Belichick treats the draft how I treat my Madden drafts.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

On 26/06/2016 at 8:56 PM, 2001mark said:

Toronto Maple Leafs - no team in the history of pro sports has had a poorer draft record, & it's not close.

Late night hyperbole.

The Leafs never passed up Michael Jordan & Kevin Durant.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

The 2016 Columbus Blue Jackets draft could very well be the franchise turning point in either direction. Yes, it could get worse. Right now I'm not very happy with management. 

Pierre Luc Dubois is a big risk when everyone in the hockey world is saying taking Puljujarvi. For my own sanity Puljujarvi better be a bust for Edmonton and Dubois better be Vinny Lecavalier. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

16 hours ago, 2001mark said:

The Leafs never passed up Michael Jordan & Kevin Durant.

Gotta defend the Blazers here...

Sam Bowie over Jordan is debatable, but the Blazers had just invested in SG Clyde Drexler the year before. So Portland taking a talented big man did make sense.

As for Greg Oden over Durant, Oden was a 100% lock to go #1 in that draft, no matter who had that pick. Seattle takes Oden had they won the first pick. If anything, the lottery handed KD to the Sonics more than the Blazers did.

6uXNWAo.png

Bears taking Cedric Benson in the 2005 draft.  I wanted them to take WR Mike Williams out of USC.

Yes, the same Mike Williams who had sat out a year of football from USC and went on to do absolutely nothing in the NFL.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

21 hours ago, raysox said:

I always bring up that Tim Beckham was picked #1 overall ahead of everyone in 2008, specifically #4 Buster Posey

Yeah, he was picked ahead of Pedro Alvarez, Eric hosmer, and gerrit Cole too.

On 6/26/2016 at 9:26 AM, KRZYBDGRZ said:

Also like cujo, I couldn't believe that Kerry kitties got passed up by seven teams in the NBA draft good thing the nets picked him up at #8,

image.jpeg

You the real MVP

Ha ha.

Kittles would've fallen further if John Calipari wasn't hoodwinked by Kobe Bryant, agent Arn Tellem (now Pistons exec),  and Adidas's Sonny Vacarro.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketball-2/that-time-john-calipari-passed-on-kobe-bryant-a-mamba-day-special/

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/columns/story?id=6255802&columnist=oconnor_ian

26 minutes ago, NYUNDERDOGS said:

The second worst draft team in the NHL is the oilers YOU KNOW HOW MANY FIRST ROUND PICKS THEY HAD AND THEY STILL SUCK

Nail Yakipov as it looks right now was definitely a miss. 2012 wasn't nessecarily a good draft, as it was pretty shallow, but I can't believe Filip Forsberg dropped that far.

Archived